Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOS System Limited Functionality

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2022, 12:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Sorry to hear that your dealer is making a career out of letting you down. I'm happy with mine and have a good relationship with my Service Advisor. It turns out that I'd known him from years before from motorcycles and roadracing, but I think I'd have gotten the same professional treatment regardless, just missing the occasional nostalgic tales. If you want more information, hit me up in PM. It's a bit of a drive for you, but if you're considering other dealers it's not your farthest option.
meh and THANK YOU! I might give one more shot like a dummy.
I've got to figure it out and will give the old lizzardo yell when appropriate.

Old 04-30-2022, 11:56 AM
Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin
So I got the same issue. Jag never bothered to actually fix it. The car is still having the issue as of now. They sad its the secondary battery that went dead but they literally didn't do anything about it. I'm trying to see if anyone has a service procedure so I can do it myself. Completely lost faith in my F type at the moment.
I have recently started to experience this SOS Limited message and it does appear like it is going to clear itself. In reading the Owner's Handbook on page 135, it says "This feature (the SOS Emergency call system) has 2 backup batteries that will maintain full system operation, in the event that the vehicle's battery is disconnected or disabled. Note: The backup batteries will be maintained as part of the vehicle servicing schedule, as carried out by a Dealer/Authorized Repairer."

From this, it seems pretty clear that there are a couple of batteries in the car in addition to the primary battery (and my '16 does not have the secondary battery to operate the auto stop feature). Does anyone know where these two batteries for the SOS system are located and what size and type of batteries they are? Seems like the logical first thing to check before scheduling an appointment at JLR.

Old 04-30-2022, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,259 Likes on 2,405 Posts

Originally Posted by rbsj
I have recently started to experience this SOS Limited message and it does appear like it is going to clear itself. In reading the Owner's Handbook on page 135, it says "This feature (the SOS Emergency call system) has 2 backup batteries that will maintain full system operation, in the event that the vehicle's battery is disconnected or disabled. Note: The backup batteries will be maintained as part of the vehicle servicing schedule, as carried out by a Dealer/Authorized Repairer."

From this, it seems pretty clear that there are a couple of batteries in the car in addition to the primary battery (and my '16 does not have the secondary battery to operate the auto stop feature). Does anyone know where these two batteries for the SOS system are located and what size and type of batteries they are? Seems like the logical first thing to check before scheduling an appointment at JLR.
A quick search in the Interwebz comes up with a dead/dodgy battery in the Telematics Unit, see here for example; https://www.jaguarforum.com/threads/...nality.131326/
That is for/about an XE but the same would apply to an F-Type.
Lots of Fleabay listings for F-Type telematic units, for example see here: https://picclick.com.au/Genuine-Jagu...371244780.html but nothing for the battery inside it, and no leads on exactly where this unit/module is located in the F-Type or if it's even possible to change the battery without having to change the whole unit as well.
But at least now we know what we are looking for!

Old 05-01-2022, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rbsj
The other gent will likely enjoy walking back into the dealer with the manual in hand, and point that out. The amount of times my dealer fixes one thing but not the others is so frustrating. They didn't fix this SOS issue when I took it in, got the car back and thought / assumed they had.

But it's interesting... it comes on as a yellow/amber informational light, not a check engine or warning light. It's "just for your information" with the italicized yellow eye. BUT THE FRUSTRATING THING: it turns on randomly, and it goes completely away randomly, and then won't re-appear such that I actually forget about it.

Historically, if I had a check engine come on and then disappear, the dealer cannot find info on that without the exact mileage of when the warning appeared. Should I assume they won't be able to find the "SOS LIMITED FUNCTIONALITY" if it's not currently displaying as a warning or indication? Because that's frustrating to say the least.

Old 05-02-2022, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
A quick search in the Interwebz comes up with a dead/dodgy battery in the Telematics Unit, see here for example; https://www.jaguarforum.com/threads/...nality.131326/
That is for/about an XE but the same would apply to an F-Type.
Lots of Fleabay listings for F-Type telematic units, for example see here: https://picclick.com.au/Genuine-Jagu...371244780.html but nothing for the battery inside it, and no leads on exactly where this unit/module is located in the F-Type or if it's even possible to change the battery without having to change the whole unit as well.
But at least now we know what we are looking for!
Thanks OzXFR and yes I also looked around myself at other forum boards in search of an answer. Your finding about the what the telematic unit looks like is interesting and should keep all of us on the look out for it to report where it is located in the car.

After searching around on some other forums, it sounded like several people had success charging the primary battery. I didn't give this much hope but didn't think it could hurt either. Well guess what, after a full charge on the battery manager the SOS limited functionality message went away. That really has me shaking my head. Does it mean that when the primary battery gets a little low that the alternator isn't supplying enough juice to charge both the primary battery and the telemetric batteries and they go low to trip the SOS warning message?

Old 05-05-2022, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member

Will the car log "informational" amber/yellow alerts the same way a check engine or "red" alert?
I don't want to book an appointment if they won't be able to read it. It's intermittent and not always popping up each drive.

Old 10-28-2022, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,000 Likes on 747 Posts

I've been getting the "SOS System Limited Functionality" message for about two weeks now. The times it started seems unrelated to a potential low batter but I put it on the C-Tek today. Within about three hours it was past fully charged and into maintenance (I think that's phase 8) so unlikely. What makes it even more unlikely is that immediately after removing the charger I started the car and the warning came up.

The Telematics Control Module is behind the bolster between the seats (coupe) and within a few minutes I had it exposed and the battery cover off. The manufacture date is 4/2015. Apparently they're on national back order but the parts counter was nice enough to offer both Jaguar and Land Rover part numbers since they could not give me a delivery date. I've got one due to arrive next week. It's a 2-cell, 4V lithium pack.

Once it arrives I'll install it promptly. I suspect the back order is from all the first round of cars that had telematics coming up with warnings.

Old 10-29-2022, 12:01 AM
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I've been getting the "SOS System Limited Functionality" message for about two weeks now. The times it started seems unrelated to a potential low batter but I put it on the C-Tek today. Within about three hours it was past fully charged and into maintenance (I think that's phase 8) so unlikely. What makes it even more unlikely is that immediately after removing the charger I started the car and the warning came up.

The Telematics Control Module is behind the bolster between the seats (coupe) and within a few minutes I had it exposed and the battery cover off. The manufacture date is 4/2015. Apparently they're on national back order but the parts counter was nice enough to offer both Jaguar and Land Rover part numbers since they could not give me a delivery date. I've got one due to arrive next week. It's a 2-cell, 4V lithium pack.

Once it arrives I'll install it promptly. I suspect the back order is from all the first round of cars that had telematics coming up with warnings.
That's awesome, I've got the same issue. Could you possibly share the part #'s?

Old 10-29-2022, 12:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,259 Likes on 2,405 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc Oc
That's awesome, I've got the same issue. Could you possibly share the part #'s?
Part number DPLA70718.
Same part number for pretty much all modern Jags.

The following users liked this post:
scm (10-29-2022)
Old 10-29-2022, 08:34 AM

Part number DPLA70718.
Much appreciated!

Old 10-29-2022, 09:22 AM

Great, do let us know if this appears to solve the problem.

In the continuing saga of trying to figure out why this "SOS" message continues to come and go, I believe there is another direct correlation occurring. That is, on my car I only seem to get the SOS warning after I start the car the next time after I have been using the cigarette lighter charger port to charge my cell phone. The warning does not come on while charging the cell phone, only after I have turned off the car and start it again. The warning then stays on for they next 3 or 4 engine start/stop cycles and then appears to get cleared and go away until I charge something in the cigarette lighter again.

Old 10-29-2022, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member

Part number DPLA70718.
The part numbers I got were:

Jaguar: T4N2591
Land Rover: LR046049

The first is what I started with in my search and within minutes I had one on the way. I'll follow up here once I've installed it.

The following users liked this post:
scm (10-29-2022)
Old 10-29-2022, 09:31 AM

I never use the cig port so that's not an issue for me, but I have read that charging the main battery can make the problem go away for awhile, which it seems to, but then it comes back like you said. Very random for me. But if it's something to do with the main battery or telematics battery perhaps the draw of charging the phone is triggering it? No idea really. I'm just going to order a new (used) unit off eBay and see what happens.

Old 10-29-2022, 09:33 AM

The part numbers I got were:

Jaguar: T4N2591
Land Rover: LR046049

The first is what I started with in my search and within minutes I had one on the way. I'll follow up here once I've installed it.
The part number the other fella listed is for the whole module, yours is for the battery only which is what I'd like to get, but can't find anyone who has one in stock.

Last edited by Doc Oc; 10-29-2022 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-29-2022, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doc Oc
The part number the other fella listed is for the whole module, yours is for the battery only which is what I'd like to get, but can't find anyone who has one in stock.
I found one on eBay, but my search this morning is coming up with much less than just yesterday. I noticed some had said "only one left" or similar so jumped on one rather than wait. Once I get my old one out I will peel the shrink wrap off and see if there are numbers on the cells themselves. I don't see why the pigtail from the old one couldn't be soldered up to some new cells, but don't want to take it apart until I have a replacement in hand. I'll post a follow-up message on that too.

Old 10-29-2022, 06:12 PM
Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts

Mine started displaying this message a couple weeks ago. Thanks everyone!

Old 10-29-2022, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Robtrt8
Mine started displaying this message a couple weeks ago. Thanks everyone!
I expect everyone with cars the age of ours will start seeing this. The place I ordered mine wanted to confirm today with my VIN because there is a "national shortage." I expect I paid a premium for that but I should still have it soon. They say it will ship on Monday.

Old 11-02-2022, 05:18 AM
Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts

Called my service advisor to confirm information.
Part (battery) IS on galactic back order.
Part is available on AMAZON.
Car WILL continue to start, regardless.

I found A LR telematics battery on Amazon.
Part numbers don't match but figured I'd give it a try.

Old 11-02-2022, 12:57 PM

Would you mind posting a link to the Amazon listing?

Old 11-02-2022, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

I saw a few different ones. Some were single cell packs, others twin cell. Mine is the latter, and the replacement should arrive today. I think they bumped the price because of low supply and high demand, but if it works I should be good for the next six or seven years.

Quick Reply: SOS System Limited Functionality