F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soul Searching....

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 05:16 PM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Soul Searching....

I happened to be in a Chevrolet dealer last week, and I saw the new Corvette C7 Grand Sport. I had time so I looked at the car closely...sat In it, and played with the infotainment.

I have a 2015 F-Type R and before that I had a 2010 XFR. Love both cars....but this is the first time in 7 years that I sat in something and it made me ask, "why aren't I driving this??"

From there, I've been watching every video and review on the Grand Sport and the Z06. I can't believe how much I like these cars....

Am I crazy?

Old 11-12-2016, 05:25 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

I don't think that you're crazy. From what I've heard they're damn fine cars. There's a chevy dealer a mile from my house and I keep threatening to go and try a vette. There are 2 things that keep me from it - I don't want a car that everyone else has, and I haven't been enamored with my last 2 GM cars - '72 Vega, '09 CTS-V. It would take a lot to get me to part with my FT.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:39 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

No you're not.

MotorTrend just released a video last week comparing it to the new 911 Carrera S.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:30 AM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Wow👌🏻

Just watched that video, and never thought I'd see the day when an American car would beat a porker round a track!
Good effort Corvette - sadly though, still lacking the charisma, class and evocative looks of the Jaguar though IMO.
No matter how I spec the interior, the look of it is not a patch on the F either.

Last edited by Tel; 11-14-2016 at 09:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BostonKiller (11-15-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Not crazy; they are a great car and outperform the F type at a lower price point. sooooooo, if performance/dollar is your criteria they are hard to beat.....and even if it isn't the criteria they are a very nice car.

I bought my F type because I liked the look of it, driving it was very fun and there wasn't one on every street corner. Performance was great IMO, but it wasn't the overriding concern as I figured I'd be unable to tell the difference on the street.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 11-14-2016, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

No, you are not crazy. It is fine car, however it also happens to be a Corvette. Personally, I wouldn't drive one without first putting my racing helmet on.

Old 11-14-2016, 02:49 PM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

The Corvette is a great car and very compelling; I loved mine and had it supercharged to 610 hp. But the F-Type has nicer lines and a nicer interior, even with the better C7. There are the other aspects of a more limited production Jag, at least from what I see around. However, the Vette IS an American car, there are lots of dealers, and more group activities available. Most of all, you get more bang for your buck with the Vette. I love my F-Type, but if I couldn't do one again, I would own a Vette, again.
Larry

Old 11-14-2016, 03:05 PM
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I agree that the Corevettet GS is a fantastic car. I too have 'secretly loved' the C7 corvettes and did consider one when I purchased my 2015 R. If it was practical to own both, I would...but, for me, they would be for very different reasons/thrills, as they are really two very different creatures.

I enjoy track days and that is one area where the C7 would be superior for sure. The R is very heavy and not nearly as nimble as what I read about the C7's. Now having said that, I have a blast with my R on the track! It is clearly more of a GT sports car, but man it is still a blast. I also love taking it to the drag strip, and there...it holds it own with pretty much any street car.

For me, my decision was around a more elegant, more beautiful (my opinion), more refined and more rare sports car. I'm not sure about you, but I almost never see an R on the road, which I happen to love. I always get a ton of comments on how absolutely beautiful the F-Type is. And the sound....!!! wow...nothing quite like that on the road today.

A corvette is a completely different experience from an ownership perspective, I am sure (never owned one, but have owned 3 porsche's). Not better or worse, just completely different.

I personally just saw myself less of a 'corvette guy', at the end of the day. Now, I never would have thought I would own a Jaguar...until, maybe like you, I saw that F-type coupe and then learned of the R! One drive and I was sold...

that car still puts a huge smile on my face every time I start it up and go for a drive! I've never had a car that has done that in a sustained way (not any of the porsche's), like this car does. It's special.

Now the stereo still bugs the crap out of me, but...there is always something. I just pop it in dynamic mode and sport shifting and enjoy the symphony coming from the tail pipes!

Both great cars in their own way for sure...

The following users liked this post:
BostonKiller (11-15-2016)