Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts
Default Sound System

Some members have posted about radio/sound issues and if you check the XJ forum today under 'Stereos', you will note that someone with an XJ found a bad rear amp as an issue with no rear speaker volume.
My sound system is the upgraded one and in my case it sounds pretty good, but only under the DTS setting, not the Meridian setting, relative to getting any sound from the rear speakers.. I just keep it on DTS, although I wonder now if under Meridian setting it is somehow using a separate amp that is not working properly.
Lawrence.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulmur
Some members have posted about radio/sound issues and if you check the XJ forum today under 'Stereos', you will note that someone with an XJ found a bad rear amp as an issue with no rear speaker volume.
My sound system is the upgraded one and in my case it sounds pretty good, but only under the DTS setting, not the Meridian setting, relative to getting any sound from the rear speakers.. I just keep it on DTS, although I wonder now if under Meridian setting it is somehow using a separate amp that is not working properly.
Lawrence.
Exactly the same with mine.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:01 AM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

My system is best by far on DTS mode as well.
Also, on any mode if the bass or sub is higher than 50% I get distortion.
However, I usually just listen to the exhaust--really.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:09 PM
Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

Do not ever manually EQ music that has been mastered for you by a mastering engineer and mixed by a music producer that know more about audio engineering than you do.

Regarding the settings, the Meridian setting is boosting lows and low mids and the way commerical music is mastered these days (brick wall limited) there is no dynamic headroom for boosting these frequencies, hence the distortion you experience.

The Meridian setting is idiotic and is especially bad when you play compressed audio (mp3/m4a) through the F-Type. Although I do not listen to compressed audio personally since I value the music I purchase, I accept that the majority of people (who need to be whipped) do and mostly download from itunes these days.
Whoever set this up needs to be whipped at dawn.

----crack---

Last edited by alexg; 08-30-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Should we also be whipping you for listening to this music you value in such lousy acoustic environment?

The following users liked this post:
alexg (08-31-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 08:14 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default This has taken a distinct S&M detour

You know I typically go other places for discussions on whipping. Just saying...

Back on topic I wonder who will try to change out the sound system first? I yanked the whole thing out of my XKR and now that car sounds wonderful.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by F-typical
Should we also be whipping you for listening to this music you value in such lousy acoustic environment?
I don't usually listen to music in my F-Type. The V-8 is music enough, but the sound is acceptable in my Evoque which has the same silly Meridian stuff going on. ------crack------

Old 08-31-2014, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by enderle
You know I typically go other places for discussions on whipping. Just saying...

Back on topic I wonder who will try to change out the sound system first? I yanked the whole thing out of my XKR and now that car sounds wonderful.
If you have the vert and live in California or somewhere else where you drive 50%+ with the top down its pointless. Enjoy the car and spend the money on a decent setup for your home. I will happily advise you on that if you like.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Over my years, I've lost track of the number of cars I've acquired and let go. Since the proliferation of internet car forums, I've always joined the appropriate car forum focused upon my latest infatuation, usually a higher-end model featuring a "premium sound system." As a result, I've experienced the best audio systems from Audi, BMW, Chrysler, Ford, GM, Jaguar, Mercedes, Nissan, Porsche, and Subaru.

On every forum, there is one "truism" in threads about the "best" auto sound systems offered by the various manufacturers who've teamed with the icons of the audio industry. That is:

The vast majority of owners reporting on internet car forums express the sentiment that each and everyone of those "premium sound systems" are woefully inadequate.

My own view is that the base Meridian in the F-Type is as good as any car system I've heard. As Alexg implied above, an auto cabin is a lousy listening room full of compromises. I think it's amazing that they reproduce sound as well as as they do.

The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
F-typical (08-31-2014), schraderade (08-31-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Over my years, I've lost track of the number of cars I've acquired and let go. Since the proliferation of internet car forums, I've always joined the appropriate car forum focused upon my latest infatuation, usually a higher-end model featuring a "premium sound system." As a result, I've experienced the best audio systems from Audi, BMW, Chrysler, Ford, GM, Jaguar, Mercedes, Nissan, Porsche, and Subaru.

On every forum, there is one "truism" in threads about the "best" auto sound systems offered by the various manufacturers who've teamed with the icons of the audio industry. That is:

The vast majority of owners reporting on internet car forums express the sentiment that each and everyone of those "premium sound systems" are woefully inadequate.

My own view is that the base Meridian in the F-Type is as good as any car system I've heard. As Alexg implied above, an auto cabin is a lousy listening room full of compromises. I think it's amazing that they reproduce sound as well as as they do.
I much prefer the upgraded system in the Jaguar as I can listen to music on the DTS setting which sounds much better than the base.. and yes I agree, car's are not the best for sound.
We have two excellent systems at home that are in a totally different league so we can properly hear some original pressed vinyl recordings.. and of course there is no comparison.
I find the Ftype upgraded system to be really quite good for a smallish car and on long highway drives its worth it to me.
It was interesting that the XJ forum poster had amplifier trouble for the rear speakers and it happened twice in a row.. so I wondered that those who have raised issues with the base Meridian sound system (or in my case on the Meridian setting) may have an answer as to why the rear speakers are more or less silent; which was the reason for my original post.
Lawrence

alexg (08-31-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 12:26 PM
Default XKR isn't bad.

Originally Posted by alexg
If you have the vert and live in California or somewhere else where you drive 50%+ with the top down its pointless. Enjoy the car and spend the money on a decent setup for your home. I will happily advise you on that if you like.

The XKR is a vert too and we bi-amped it and electronically balanced the sound. Replaced all the speakers and put in twin dedicated large subs. Top of the line Kenwood head unit (I swap it out about once a year to keep it current). Even with the top down the music is actually very nice but it wasn't a cheap date. Oh we also put in sound mats in the doors which addressed rattles and makes the door much more solid sounding. But, overall I agree, with the top down the surrounding noise is pretty hard to overcome and it is hardly a perfect sound stage. On the plus side sink the music with Wi-Fi when I'm in the garage if I want, it has a built in hot spot of its own, and the phone connectivity is much better than our F-Types is.

On your offer, we are remodeling a house in Bend and we are putting in a completely new sound system. Plan and wiring is for Sonos in most rooms and all floors (I have it here though I also have a Blue Room setup on the first floor and a Yamaha on the second (speakers head unit is Sony)).

Have you run into anything better than Sonos for a whole house setup?

Attached Thumbnails Sound System-wp_20140419_14_06_15_pro.jpg   Sound System-wp_20140419_14_00_23_pro.jpg  
alexg (08-31-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 02:29 PM

The XKR is a vert too and we bi-amped it and electronically balanced the sound. Replaced all the speakers and put in twin dedicated large subs. Top of the line Kenwood head unit (I swap it out about once a year to keep it current). Even with the top down the music is actually very nice but it wasn't a cheap date. Oh we also put in sound mats in the doors which addressed rattles and makes the door much more solid sounding. But, overall I agree, with the top down the surrounding noise is pretty hard to overcome and it is hardly a perfect sound stage. On the plus side sink the music with Wi-Fi when I'm in the garage if I want, it has a built in hot spot of its own, and the phone connectivity is much better than our F-Types is.

On your offer, we are remodeling a house in Bend and we are putting in a completely new sound system. Plan and wiring is for Sonos in most rooms and all floors (I have it here though I also have a Blue Room setup on the first floor and a Yamaha on the second (speakers head unit is Sony)).

Have you run into anything better than Sonos for a whole house setup?
Rob,
You must accept that you are exception and not the rule. The majority of owners won't modify their car like you have but yes you can of course improve on everything. Personally if I were to 'mod' anything on the F-Type it would be the quality of the materials used in the cabin. It feels cheap compared to my last car, (Aston Martin Vantage V8), although it is still a great cabin, but hey we are discussing the finer details. Foosh is correct regarding Meridian, that it is indeed still a very very good system when compared to other cars etc. It is especially good in my Evoque where I enjoy listening to music while driving.

Regarding your home project, have you thought about, rather than have music piping throughout every room, having just one room to enjoy music in. Making that room a sanctuary, nice furniture, comfortable space, the correct acoustic treatment, sound insulation and NO TV! etc. (I have a bar in mine and the view of San Francisco over the bay). Don't get me wrong, music in every room sounds cool but you are going to compromise on quality and I've found having installed such a system in the past, that I much preferred to 'listen' to music on my high end audiophile gear in my listening room.

Please explain what a Blue Room setup is? (I'm from Europe), is this what I am suggesting? Also, the Yamaha/Sony stuff? I can happily direct you on the correct setup for your room.

Regarding Sonos, yes there are much higher quality systems you can install. Depends on how much you want to spend. A wired system with hi quality amps and speaker cabinets placed correctly is the way to go but if you must go wireless there are other options, Bowers & Wilkins and other brands. Sonos is fine but the speakers in the ceiling or walls never sound good to me. Even if you insulate correctly you should employ a sound engineer so you have a clear signal path and no phase issues or poor room reflections, bass reflection etc.

Personally I'd just consider a 'listening' room with some audiophile gear if you really want to enjoy your music.

Last edited by alexg; 08-31-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by alexg
Rob,
You must accept that you are exception and not the rule. The majority of owners won't modify their car like you have but yes you can of course improve on everything. Personally if I were to 'mod' anything on the F-Type it would be the quality of the materials used in the cabin. It feels cheap compared to my last car, (Aston Martin Vantage V8), although it is still a great cabin, but hey we are discussing the finer details. Foosh is correct regarding Meridian, that it is indeed still a very very good system when compared to other cars etc. It is especially good in my Evoque where I enjoy listening to music while driving.

Regarding your home project, have you thought about, rather than have music piping throughout every room, having just one room to enjoy music in. Making that room a sanctuary, nice furniture, comfortable space, the correct acoustic treatment, sound insulation and NO TV! etc. (I have a bar in mine and the view of San Francisco over the bay). Don't get me wrong, music in every room sounds cool but you are going to compromise on quality and I've found having installed such a system in the past, that I much preferred to 'listen' to music on my high end audiophile gear in my listening room.

Please explain what a Blue Room setup is? (I'm from Europe), is this what I am suggesting? Also, the Yamaha/Sony stuff? I can happily direct you on the correct setup for your room.

Regarding Sonos, yes there are much higher quality systems you can install. Depends on how much you want to spend. A wired system with hi quality amps and speaker cabinets placed correctly is the way to go but if you must go wireless there are other options, Bowers & Wilkins and other brands. Sonos is fine but the speakers in the ceiling or walls never sound good to me. Even if you insulate correctly you should employ a sound engineer so you have a clear signal path and no phase issues or poor room reflections, bass reflection etc.

Personally I'd just consider a 'listening' room with some audiophile gear if you really want to enjoy your music.

I'm actually OK with the F-Type sound on DTS, I'm not getting the rattles anymore (dealer fixed) and while it isn't as good as the XKR given how much is piped into the head unit I don't want to mess with it.

On the house we are always moving and I used to have a home theater (thus the Blue Room setup) but we never really used it so now it is a Gym. The Blue Room stuff is called Pod Speakers now and they are in the UK: Main - Podspeakers Impressive for the money.

The thing I like about Sonos is that it uses its own Grid network and you can sync the sound in all the rooms. A wired system could be done (my walls were open) but I just don't think it is as flexible as one that uses a wireless technology. Finally I'm more movies and TV than music anyway so the plan is to also have TVs in most of the rooms. I have 7 or 8 of them in our existing house. Probably drop down to 4 or 5 in the new one (less rooms). Thanks for the thoughts!

Old 08-31-2014, 03:24 PM

I'm actually OK with the F-Type sound on DTS, I'm not getting the rattles anymore (dealer fixed) and while it isn't as good as the XKR given how much is piped into the head unit I don't want to mess with it.

On the house we are always moving and I used to have a home theater (thus the Blue Room setup) but we never really used it so now it is a Gym. The Blue Room stuff is called Pod Speakers now and they are in the UK: Main - Podspeakers Impressive for the money.

The thing I like about Sonos is that it uses its own Grid network and you can sync the sound in all the rooms. A wired system could be done (my walls were open) but I just don't think it is as flexible as one that uses a wireless technology. Finally I'm more movies and TV than music anyway so the plan is to also have TVs in most of the rooms. I have 7 or 8 of them in our existing house. Probably drop down to 4 or 5 in the new one (less rooms). Thanks for the thoughts!
Wow. I own one tv and only watch rugby and soccer on it when I have free time on the weekend, lol. I don't like tvs in bedrooms kitchens etc, I dont even like laptops in bedrooms personally. I prefer to have dedicated rooms for TV/Music/Computer etc...Maybe its because I work from home and I'm here 70% of the time....

If you are more of a tv guy why even bother with the Sonos?

If you put in a wired system it could be an investment for when you sell the home but it depends on the area and the buyer etc.

If interested in my room right now I'm rocking a Thorens 125 vintage turntable, Phono pre, Tube Pre and Tube power, Kef Reference Speakers and a JL Sub. I've not treated this room since I'm renting here at the moment but the sound is extremely good considering the reflections.

Sound System-5p1n31u.jpg
Sound System-6qvoraa.jpg
Sound System-awbmihl.jpg

Old 08-31-2014, 04:14 PM
Default We'll likely need to get back on topic but.

Here are three of my setups, first is the Great Room. It is fed by a variety of streaming, computer and optical resources. The second one is what is left of the home theater (note the huge sound baffles). The third is my video gaming room (I change it a lot).

After this we likely need to go back to talking about the car though.

Attached Thumbnails Sound System-wp_20140831_14_06_36_pro.jpg   Sound System-wp_20140831_14_06_53_pro.jpg   Sound System-wp_20140831_14_08_16_pro.jpg   Sound System-wp_20140831_14_11_56_pro.jpg  
Old 08-31-2014, 04:18 PM

Left out one shot.

Attached Thumbnails Sound System-wp_20140831_14_15_55_pro.jpg  
Old 08-31-2014, 07:51 PM

Nice. I see a Ferrari wheel! I'll buy a playstation and Gran Turismo if they put the F-Type in the next one! The Scandyna speakers are cool. I have a couple of them in my studio on the dj rig just for their looks

Old 09-01-2014, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member

On the basis that: "He who dies with the most toys wins", Rob is currently ahead...

enderle (09-01-2014)
Old 09-01-2014, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by F-typical
On the basis that: "He who dies with the most toys wins", Rob is currently ahead...
Quality not quantity my son.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member

You also have the biggest Valves.

I'm guessing the power amp is Class A all the way - how much heat does it generate?

Quick Reply: Sound System