Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Over my years, I've lost track of the number of cars I've acquired and let go. Since the proliferation of internet car forums, I've always joined the appropriate car forum focused upon my latest infatuation, usually a higher-end model featuring a "premium sound system." As a result, I've experienced the best audio systems from Audi, BMW, Chrysler, Ford, GM, Jaguar, Mercedes, Nissan, Porsche, and Subaru.

On every forum, there is one "truism" in threads about the "best" auto sound systems offered by the various manufacturers who've teamed with the icons of the audio industry. That is:

The vast majority of owners reporting on internet car forums express the sentiment that each and everyone of those "premium sound systems" are woefully inadequate.

My own view is that the base Meridian in the F-Type is as good as any car system I've heard. As Alexg implied above, an auto cabin is a lousy listening room full of compromises. I think it's amazing that they reproduce sound as well as as they do.
Having now had a few days to fiddle with it, I can report that the stock settings are very base heavy. With the volume set no higher than 15, I'm starting to vibrate, never mind the trim...

Last edited by F-typical; 09-09-2014 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-09-2014, 03:54 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by alexg

Regarding Sonos, yes there are much higher quality systems you can install. Depends on how much you want to spend. A wired system with hi quality amps and speaker cabinets placed correctly is the way to go but if you must go wireless there are other options, Bowers & Wilkins and other brands. Sonos is fine but the speakers in the ceiling or walls never sound good to me. Even if you insulate correctly you should employ a sound engineer so you have a clear signal path and no phase issues or poor room reflections, bass reflection etc.
what makes you think Sonos requires speakers in the ceiling or wall?

Depending upon the components you use you can connect any speakers you like to the amplified units or distribute either a digital or an analog signal to your other audio/theatre systems.