Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sourcing Engine Oil Australia

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 08:51 AM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by domino_z
i tried all the tricks i saw on youtube, it just wasn't working

tbh i cannot see how the container can hold vacuum as it's not properly sealed - the drain plug isn't air tight, and the release valve was loose on both

when i push down on the pump i could hear air escaping, and even feel it around the valve that you use to select suck/blow, but this was same in all the videos i watched too

the thicker supplied hose fits perfectly on the oe extraction tube, that wasn't the issue.

i even tried sucking water out of a bucket with the hose submerged and it still didn't work

so cliffs: i have no idea

this is a great video to show how the mityvac is meant to work, but just didn't for me......twice lol
Bummer they didn't work for you, mine worked great and one of the supplied hoses fit perfectly on the F type extraction tube. Being able to change the oil from above is sooo much easier. Was thinking of using the mitivac to try brake bleeding if it ever warms up here in SoCal. Been under 70 for 6 weeks....

Old 03-12-2019, 08:55 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

i tried wrapping the plug with teflon tape to get a tighter seal, and it worked only slightly better at holding vacuum but ultimately the water just fell back down into the bucket - there was none of that 10 pumps and walking away like in all the vids

maybe i was unlucky with 2 faulty pumps, maybe it's user error somewhere

Old 03-13-2019, 02:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

The drain plug is air tight...however it dries out which makes it less compressible.
Hang on, you do know that lever on the drain plug needs to be flipped to tighten it.
Anyway, silicone grease is a must around that drain plug. It will also make removal easy if you dont use it often.
I had never used my drain plug because I just pump it back out, and when I did go to remove it, what a wrestling match.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:16 PM

i replaced the drain plug with a new oe. looking at old plug, the rubber gasket was still in perfect condition - my car is 3 years old and at 17k kms

forgot to mention, we extracted right on 6L of oil leaving overnight to empty from drain plug

no idea how long oil was at that level, my last service was approx 13 months and 5k kms via dealer, i had no oil warning light and oil level was showing ok and full on the dash display before we drained

we put 7L in and again oil level displaying ok and full on the slider graph. have checked it every morning for past week and display hasn't changed

so either the dash display isn't as reliable as it should be, or the margin for error is 1L+/-, which is probably even more worrying

Last edited by domino_z; 03-19-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

i replaced the drain plug with a new oe. looking at old plug, the rubber gasket was still in perfect condition - my car is 3 years old and at 17k kms

forgot to mention, we extracted right on 6L of oil leaving overnight to empty from drain plug

no idea how long oil was at that level, my last service was approx 13 months and 5k kms via dealer, i had no oil warning light and oil level was showing ok and full on the dash display before we drained

we put 7L in and again oil level displaying ok and full on the slider graph. have checked it every morning for past week and display hasn't changed

so either the dash display isn't as reliable as it should be, or the margin for error is 1L+/-, which is probably even more worrying
6 litres seems worryingly low to me, normal full capacity is 7.25 litres and I would expect the oil level readout to have shown at least "add one litre" instead of full/OK.
Are you sure whatever you used to measure the volume of the old oil is accurate?
Coz the one and only time I used the vacuum pump I discovered that when it showed 7.25 litres it was really only 6.5 litres!

Old 03-20-2019, 10:25 PM

doubt it, was a generic oil pan with scale

i just don't think the electric measurement is that accurate, or my garage slab is on an imperceptible angle lol

Old 03-20-2019, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

doubt it, was a generic oil pan with scale

i just don't think the electric measurement is that accurate, or my garage slab is on an imperceptible angle lol
Easy to check the accuracy of that oil pan (if you still have it), just find an accurate 1 or 2 litre jug and use that to fill the pan with water one jugfull at a time.
That is how I found my vacuum pump was miles out.

Last edited by OzXFR; 03-20-2019 at 11:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
domino_z (03-21-2019)