Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speeding Tickets

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 625 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by takeapieandrun
Minor errors on tickets won't really make a difference.
Definitely true, but I am reminded of one time an error saved the day. Many moons ago, when I was an undergrad, my Econ class took a field trip to NC's Central Prison (now gone, but it looked like something medieval in the fog). Anyway, since I had a car, I was one of the drivers and happened to be last in the line behind someone "who knew the way." Well, "the way" ended up continuing down a street after it became 1-way towards us. There was no traffic or speed to create a real danger, but RPD noticed and pulled the only car he saw - me. Not to be bothered with explanations, even when the professor told the cop it was HIS fault for leading the group and suggesting he get the ticket. While the cop was off checking my license and registration, his partner was much more reasonable and suggested I go to court and try for a prayer for judgement. When the first cop came back and presented me with my ticket, I noticed that the court date and day of the week weren't aligned (like Tues the 15th, instead of Tues the 13th, or Thurs the 15th). I tried to point out the error so I knew when to come, but he was too self-absorbed to hear the question/problem. I ended up calling the court house to get the right answer. When the day came, the professor and I caught the prosecutor briefly to explain what happened and hopefully get some relief. When the case was called, guess who wasn't in court! When the judge asked the prosecutor what he wanted to do, the guy said "I can't make a case if the officer doesn't bother to show up." The judge got pissed, dismissed the charge, and told the prosecutor he wanted the officer brought into his court to explain why he was wasting their time. Sweet.

The following users liked this post:
007XKR (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 01:43 AM
Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by uncheel
The judge got pissed, dismissed the charge, and told the prosecutor he wanted the officer brought into his court to explain why he was wasting their time. Sweet.
It's interesting how much different counties/states can differ. I had a pretty terrible time in traffic court. The ticket I speak of was also when I was in undergrad, and I went in my best shirt, tie, and slacks to look presentable. Meanwhile, most people there were sagging their jeans and in a t-shirt based on driving without insurance/license.

I pleaded no contest (perhaps a mistake?) and asked the judge for a reduction in fine ($560!!) as I was a student paying tuition, this was my first moving violation, I made a mistake and have learned my lesson, etc. He just looked at me with a look on his face and said "Nope, we don't do that here." Screw Yolo County Traffic Court, lol.

Old 01-27-2021, 02:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52

What is this talk of speeding of which you speak?

’I am shocked, shocked to find that speeding is going on here.”
From "Casablanca" re gambling. Claude Rains speaking to Bogart, then someone walks up to him and hands him all his winnings. Classic- nice reference!!

Was driving back from LA going north on 99, doing 90 for some time. Driving politely, blinker when changing lanes (using all 3) and not driving like I'm a formula 1 pro. CHP runs up behind me and lights me up, I pull over quickly and have my paperwork ready. He leans over from the passenger side and states "You were doing 90", I say "sorry" and hand him my TX driver's license and insurance, car has CA plates. He walks back to his cruiser, is back in about 2 minutes and hands me my stuff back. States "nice car" and walks off. Love my Jag.

Last edited by Tex Jag; 01-27-2021 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 608 Likes on 416 Posts

the guy said "I can't make a case if the officer doesn't bother to show up."
This was a favorite ploy in my **ahem** wild and crazy lead-footed days. We would postpone the court date as many times as they would let us, and often the cop wouldn't bother to come to testify for just one scofflaw. (Or he forgot)

Another ploy was to ask for the calibration records of the radar gun used. If they couldn't verify that the speed measured was accurate, we would move that the case be dismissed.

Old 01-27-2021, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,006 Posts

So far no tickets, no warnings.

Old 01-31-2021, 07:11 PM
Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Speaking of, a highway patrol unit passed me in the express lane yesterday right after I had pulled a sweeping freeway turn at about 90mph. I slowed back down to ~75 after the turn so maybe he just was just letting me have my fun.. definitely knocked on wood after that one lol.

Old 01-31-2021, 11:38 PM
Received 25 Likes on 6 Posts

After owning my F-Type R for 2 weeks, I took Chicago’s famous Lake Shore Drive up to the tony suburbs of the North Shore. I was carving the wonderfully hilly and twisty turns on a section of Sheridan Road in the posh town of Winnetka, when a young town cop pulled me over for going 35 mph in a 20 mph zone.

Old 02-01-2021, 04:58 AM
GGG
Received 16,867 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Oh, to be able to get back onto the German Autobahn where this is LEGAL:

Can hardly leave the County, let alone the Country at the present time.

Graham

Old 02-01-2021, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 728 Likes on 501 Posts

Had a dream a couple of years back. It was the most vivid dream I ever had. Was driving my Ftype with my wife in the passenger seat on an interstate in New England. A beautiful day with only a few other cars on the road. Suddenly I was in in a group of 12 Ftype’s and we were all lined up. It was so impressive and joyously loud. Well, we are travelling along at quite a nice clip (at a modestly above speed limit pace) when all of a sudden the left lane cleared and we as a group accelerated. A few seconds into this magical rush I looked at the speedo and it was at 141mph. What a rush. Car felt glued to to the road, it total control. Unfortunately that sped only lasted for about 5-6 minutes as we all as a group needed to get off an exit to go to some outdoor apparel store; can’t recall which. No tickets and I distinctly remember seeing state troopers with their lights on ahead. Next thing I knew I woke up in a comfortable chair in the LL Bean store with my wife hovering over me with several packages she bought. Amazing dream.......or was it a dream? All I know is that it was the most real dream I ever experienced.

Old 02-01-2021, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Even stranger....I had the same dream!

Old 02-01-2021, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 728 Likes on 501 Posts

Lance we really need to stop drinking scotch! It’s hallucination inducing...........NOT!

Old 02-01-2021, 07:18 PM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Nit in my Jaguar

Last edited by Madscott; 02-02-2021 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:19 PM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

I did have an officer pull me aside at a DUI roadblock so he could check out my F-Type. He didn’t know what it was , since the previous owner debadged it!

Old 02-02-2021, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 608 Likes on 416 Posts

Both our F and our other exotic are subject to being pulled over by troopers that are also auto enthusiasts!

Goes with the territory.

Old 02-03-2021, 12:52 AM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Where I live, 65=75. 65=70 in the second lane. If you’re going 65 in the second lane, you’re either old or illegal.
At times, people will run you off the fast lane even when you’re going 70.

Cops make themselves pretty conspicuous and if traffic suddenly slows down, you know people are slowing down for a cop.

People do get stopped if they are wearing in and out racing someone else. Usually, it’s the Challengers and Chargers. Sometimes Camaros.

Old 02-03-2021, 10:30 AM
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Passed an unmarked police car on the freeway heading to a dinner party going 110. Pulled me over, approached the car laughing. Asked me if I could drive slower. Nice guy, no ticket.

Last edited by HalcyonDays; 02-03-2021 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by HalcyonDays
Passed an unmarked police car on the freeway heading to a dinner party going 110. Pulled me over, approached the car laughing. Asked me if I could drive slower. Nice guy, no ticket.
That’s like hitting the lottery. (Unless you were in Montana at the time).

Old 02-03-2021, 12:05 PM
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Houston. I am a Life Member of the 100 Club of Houston. It definitely helps. I've gotten several warnings in the last few years, with no tickets.

Old 02-03-2021, 01:25 PM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by HalcyonDays
Houston. I am a Life Member of the 100 Club of Houston. It definitely helps. I've gotten several warnings in the last few years, with no tickets.
Is there one for California? I’ve looked and couldn’t find one.

I mean it’s a good cause but if it would help me out in California then all the better.

Old 02-03-2021, 01:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Bow to the inevitable

Driving my V6 in Southern England it became clear quite quickly that the excess of performance over the roads available to use it on was out of balance. The State answer to grossly inadequate, badly maintained roads and vocal special interest groups is ever more restrictive speed limits, what is euphemistically called “traffic calming” (suspension breakers) and of course enforcement through “safety” cameras and mobile patrols (rarely run by the police, it is contracted out to sociopaths). Another growing annoyance is the average speed camera, sometimes over many miles of otherwise splendid driving road - the famous Evo triangle for one. As a consequence, when a runout new P300 became available at a ludicrous discount mid pandemic last year I went for it. The car has ample power for UK conditions, is more nimble for our many twisty bits (often great fun even close to legal limits) and still looks the canine cojones. Part of me misses the supercharger howl, but the vehicle is a lot more discreet in noise terms and in the current circumstances ostentation may not be the best path; much social grief to come I fear, with the concomitant asset jealousy that has always marred the UK. Basically, then accept the inevitable and manage it. Fines here by the way can be astronomical if you are well paid, your car can be confiscated and jail sentences not uncommon. A TV nonentity was recently fined over $100k for a DUI offence. A criminal conviction for driving also has very negative effects on surprising stuff like mortgages and loans, as well as getting a visa to visit the US! One odd upside recently though - the UK having left the EU it is no longer obliged to hand over details of UK drivers to European authorities for road traffic offences committed there (cameras, etc) though the strong likelihood would be that if you subsequently return they will pick you up at the border and apply instant horrible punishment. The inevitable outcome for daring to secede and not immediately begging to come back.

Quick Reply: Speeding Tickets