F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport seat

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018 | 12:59 PM
|
Default Sport seat

Hi guys i would like to know your idea about the piping of my 2016 r seat,it starting to flake off and cracking i just think it will get worst over time it look white underneath....i just have 27000 km should i show the dealer about it ..is it covered by warranty or they will tell me it normsl wear ?thx here pics

Old 09-03-2018 | 01:18 PM

Those are not piping. These are flat fell seams between the core leather and the patterned trim leather band. What you are seeing is the top coat and the color coat of the leather as been rubbed off in places.

Old 09-03-2018 | 01:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Paul champagne
Those are not piping. These are flat fell seams between the core leather and the patterned trim leather band. What you are seeing is the top coat and the color coat of the leather as been rubbed off in places.
+1. You’ll notice it is wearing at the belt line. You might check your belts to see if one might be particularly abrasive.

Old 09-03-2018 | 02:57 PM
|

Ok ..but it actually the bottom part of the seat...where i sit ...so it will be consider normsl wear??

Old 09-03-2018 | 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by stefan larcheveque
Ok ..but it actually the bottom part of the seat...where i sit ...so it will be consider normsl wear??
"normal wear" is extremely variable when dealing with leather. Jeans for instance are very hard on coated leather. Flat fell seams, while very, very strong, do present a folded edge. In this case, the folded edge is sticking out over the middle surface.

I would show it to your dealer. They might take care of it. Be careful though: touch ups like this can be invisible if done by someone who knows what they are doing. But they can make it worse if they don't know what they are doing. Care must be taken about the contrasting thread as well.

Old 09-03-2018 | 03:43 PM
|

Ok.will talk to dealer in laval on my next visit ,i just believe its a lil early to wear like that compare to the other jag i had.i usually dont wear too much abrasive clothing 🤔thx for advice

Old 09-03-2018 | 05:04 PM

Ok.will talk to dealer in laval on my next visit ,i just believe its a lil early to wear like that compare to the other jag i had.i usually dont wear too much abrasive clothing 🤔thx for advice
That is where I bought mine. Small world.
Wear is very variable with coated leather. For instance, the black leather that Jaguar uses in the F-Type is much softer than the Camel I have in mine. Feels better to the touch, but will wear much faster.

Old 09-03-2018 | 05:11 PM
Veteran Member

That is where I bought mine. Small world.
Wear is very variable with coated leather. For instance, the black leather that Jaguar uses in the F-Type is much softer than the Camel I have in mine. Feels better to the touch, but will wear much faster.
I believe the camel only came on the Performance seats, and I suspect the leather on those seats is a different grade than on the Sport seats.

Old 09-03-2018 | 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I believe the camel only came on the Performance seats, and I suspect the leather on those seats is a different grade than on the Sport seats.
I'm not sure of the difference between the sport and performance seats, but mine are Camel and I do have that center trim with the flat fell seams.

These are examples of what I used to do:

The following 4 users liked this post by Paul champagne:
Greggbhill (09-04-2018), JgaXkr (09-03-2018), Magical (09-03-2018), Mbourne (09-04-2018)
Old 09-03-2018 | 07:13 PM
Veteran Member

I'm not sure of the difference between the sport and performance seats, but mine are Camel and I do have that center trim with the flat fell seams.

These are examples of what I used to do:

Very impressive work!

Abrasion is one of the most destructive elements for wear of automotive leather and it is found primarily on the bolster of the driver's seat because owners tend to slide across that part as they get in, creating a wearing of the coloured surface . This can be entirely avoided by careful entry!
The OP's question is answered simply: yes, it is normal wear because that seam is somewhat raised and thus constantly subject to abrasion from clothing -and the rougher the cloth, the faster it happens.
Abrasion damage can be mitigated by keeping the surface of the leather soft and pliable with regular conditioning. The damage shown is very easy repaired by applying (sparingly) the water-based polymer colourants produced by various suppliers: Color Plus, Leatherique, and others ( this is the same type of colourant originally applied to the leather). It takes about three minutes to do it -and because the colour is black -.probably termed "Warm Charcoal", there is no matching issue. I have done it many times on many Jaguars.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018 | 08:11 PM
Veteran Member

Like Sov211,
I have repaired many abrasion areas in my various cars including 3 jaguars many times. And on my two "warm charcoal" aka black, I have used shoe polish in a sponge top dispenser and then rubbed it in so there are no clear lines where it was used. Very quick and easy. But I do think you should have your dealer have an expert fix it under warranty.

Old 09-03-2018 | 08:24 PM

Paul is correct about the color coating. I had a mobile company that does work for dealers fix my MB for similar scenarios including cracking and fading including the steering wheel. They simply sanded the area with a fine sandpaper and sprayed on the matching color.
Maybe I was lucky, but it worked throughout the entire interior.

Old 09-04-2018 | 04:22 PM

OK, so those are my seats. Are they sport or performance?

Old 09-04-2018 | 05:58 PM

OK, so those are my seats. Are they sport or performance?

I'm not sure Paul...here is my seat...looks the same except I have the logo R on the headrest

The following users liked this post:
Paul champagne (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018 | 06:27 PM
Veteran Member

Both Seats are the performance seats. The only difference is the embossed logo for the R.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Magical (09-04-2018), Paul champagne (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018 | 10:12 PM
|

Ok i got ot wrong....iv got the performance seat not the sport one😉

Old 09-04-2018 | 10:26 PM

Ok i got ot wrong....iv got the performance seat not the sport one😉
And to all account, that is a very good thing
The information about the leather and how to repair it, remain the same though. If the dealer doesn't want to take care of it, I can give you pointers if you need it.

Old 09-05-2018 | 07:58 AM

my performance seats in the lighter of the "camel" color (same as magical) are not wearing well. side bolsters are showing a lot of abrasion marks and was told "normal wear and tear" and was not covered under warranty. I have heard of other with better luck.

Old 09-05-2018 | 09:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Itismejoshy
my performance seats in the lighter of the "camel" color (same as magical) are not wearing well. side bolsters are showing a lot of abrasion marks and was told "normal wear and tear" and was not covered under warranty. I have heard of other with better luck.
The abrasion wear will not be covered under warranty because the manufacturer has no control over how you get in and out of your car - it is the sliding across the bolster that (obviously) is causing the wear. If the seat is not set far enough back to allow entry and exit without rubbing the bolster (and clearly different body types are a factor too) then wear will occur.
That said, the bolster wear can easily be repaired using the leather colourants (or similar) that I have mentioned earlier. Shoe polish as a repair for wear of the black (Warm Charcoal) colour does not seem to me to be the best idea. After polishing my black shoes I can get quite a bit of black transfer on a cloth!

Old 09-05-2018 | 01:24 PM
Default Same Problem

@Stefan: I had the same problem on my '17 [black] Performance Seats with only 5K miles, less than 1 year old. Was happening in the same place along those seams in the middle of the bottom seat cushions (driver more noticeable than passenger for obvious reason). I usually wear cotton Kaki pants, and am very easy on my cars. Jaguar authorized replacement cover installed under warranty. They only replaced the driver side because the passenger side was barely visible, even though it could be seen. Troubling part is that I could have counted the number of times anybody had ever sat in the passenger seat. Everyone should take a look while under warranty. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Sport seat