F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport seats are different - is it 2017 or black pack?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts
Default Sport seats are different - is it 2017 or black pack?

Hoping that others with the sport seats (read: the base model seats) with and without the black pack can comment.

I'm almost certain that when I test drove (over 6 months ago), the sport seats had a smooth texture to the leather (basically just like the steering wheel). I just realized today, while driving around in my recently acquired car, that my seats have an obviously textured leather. The leather and the suede filler is also black, not gray as I remember.

I'm wondering if these changes are because I ordered the black pack (which I thought only changed exterior pieces and some trim on the console), or if they are 2017 changes, or perhaps both.

I thought it was weird that the texture of the leather would change.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:52 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

the V6 gets a lower quality leather than the V8, evident on the dash as well

v6 gets taurus leather
v8 gets windsor leather

i'm going order process on an f-pace atm, and although hard to find the information, the first edition get's the same leather quality as the v8 f-type , otherwise it's the lower grade like they put in the XE which has a grainy plasticy feel

Last edited by domino_z; 04-10-2016 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member

what you say makes sense, but I specifically recall test driving a car with the higher quality leather on the sport seats. This couldn't have been a V8 because you can't get those seats in the V8.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:47 AM

Jaguar have probably consolidated their leathers now to just the 2 types

So 2017 onwards v6 gets same trim as other models in the range

Old 04-11-2016, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Leather on my 2016 F-type S seats is awful. Was dry from day 1, where I had to ask if it is really leather of vinyl. I am now working on getting it back to decent softness by applying oil-based conditioner every weekend. It slowly getting better.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:41 AM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

I can't speak to the sport seats, but they do use different leathers on the optional performance seats vs. the performance seats in the R.

Before upgrading to a '16 R, I had a 2015 Base with the optional performance seats. The leather on those seats was lighter in shade (black) and much more stiff than the leather in the R. Much of the trim in the Base was plastic / vinyl and had pieces that might have been leather, but looked a lot like vinyl.

Contrast that to the R where everything is a soft grained leather. Rightfully so though, because you are paying a premium.

My Jeep Grand Cherokee is the same way. They have 3 different types of leather; improving in quality as you go up in models.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

It's a minor quibble, and it won't keep me from enjoying the hell out of this car. But if anyone has sport seats with the soft, untextured leather, that would at least confirm that I didn't completely make that up.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Leather on my 2016 F-type S seats is awful. Was dry from day 1, where I had to ask if it is really leather of vinyl. I am now working on getting it back to decent softness by applying oil-based conditioner every weekend. It slowly getting better.
Do you have the sport or performance seats?

Old 04-11-2016, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Gooday. I do quite a bit of work for a leather furniture guy who gets quite passionate about his craft. Anyway from what he told me, if it is corrected grain leather (i.e. not the top of the hide where the pores are, an analine or semi analine) the leather is covered by paint so nothing penetrates it. So soap and water is just as good on that although it will get softer with use.

You probably know this but when they get a hide they soak it and then split it into a number of sheets.. The top is where the follicles are and it breathes, so that is top grain or analine. The underside is suede. Then everything else is corrected grain, with a grain printed on in paint.

You can sometimes tell by stretching the leather - if the grain disappears it is probably real, if it stays it is probably just a shape in the paint over one of the under layers in the hide.

I have what looks to be semi analine in the XKR (top grain with a light coating over it), and the taurus in the XE. I thought that the taurus was pretty good, for a corrected grain. I've seen plenty worse, that's for sure.

Not a lecture, just pretty fascinating stuff. I hope I got it all right, it has been a few years since he told me.

The following 2 users liked this post by BruceTheQuail:
BierNut (04-13-2016), SinF (04-11-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Do you have the sport or performance seats?
Default seats that come on NA S model.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
if it is corrected grain leather the leather is covered by paint so nothing penetrates it. So soap and water is just as good on that although it will get softer with use.
Thank you for reminding me about this, your informative response is appreciated. I read it somewhere about this before, but forgot. Do you think F-type has corrected grain leather or top grain leather? I hope these seats are top grain (just bad quality). They certainly have leather texture, but I can't tell if it is natural or pressed.

Are you sure there is no benefit to conditioning corrected leather? I noticed that unlike my SL, conditioner isn't readily absorbed into these seats. Maybe that is why. My concern is that stitching that runs right at the edge on the seat cushion will crack up with time unless I find a way to re-hydrate the leather. It is rather hard right now. It will be especially noticeable on my white seats, as any cracks will be instantly visible.

Last edited by SinF; 04-11-2016 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Try a little Lanolin-based product on the leather. If it soaks in, you're good to go. If it just sits on the surface, wipe it off and move on.

That said, both the smooth leather on the wheel, and the full grain leather on the seats positively slurped the lanolin on my base V6. It felt dry to the touch before, so...

Old 04-11-2016, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

Hi. I usually work on the basis that it cant hurt to put the decent stuff on leather even if it isnt top grain. I use a lanolin based product for the obviously corrected grain seats (RM Williams boot conditioner). But I save the really expensive cleaner and conditioner (the ones for analines and semi analines) for stuff I know is top grain.

The car I get (today - woohoo!) has "premium leather" which I am assuming is a top grain, probably with a poly coating.

Leather does naturally get softer with use, and the seats get much more comfy over time. The driver's seat in my XKR (with about 40000 miles on it) is super comfortable because it has been stretched and absorbs the bumps. The passenger seat is still like new, so you feel the bumps a lot more.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member

I use Lexol leather conditioner. Is there anything better?

Jaguar was delivered with a bottle of leather conditioner in a glove box. Anyone knows what it is?

Old 04-12-2016, 09:05 PM

you really don't need to use a conditioner anymore as all new cars have a pu coating on the leather for wear/protection

you can see this by just spraying water on the leather and seeing it bead, rather than soak in

conditioner does the same thing, it'll never penetrate the coating. it'll feel a little softer initially but it'll end up transferring to your clothes and just wearing away quickly

leatherique prestine clean or angelwax heaven for leather are great products to use

The following 2 users liked this post by domino_z:
Foosh (04-12-2016), Smoke Em (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by domino_z
you really don't need to use a conditioner anymore as all new cars have a pu coating on the leather for wear/protection

you can see this by just spraying water on the leather and seeing it bead, rather than soak in

conditioner does the same thing, it'll never penetrate the coating. it'll feel a little softer initially but it'll end up transferring to your clothes and just wearing away quickly

leatherique prestine clean or angelwax heaven for leather are great products to use
+1

Up until about 10 years ago, I treated all the leather in my cars with expensive, high-quality products. At some point, I noticed it wasn't doing any good, and just quit. It really doesn't make any difference in how well the leather wears in modern cars given the coatings applied to today's auto leathers.

Smoke Em (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member

How would I soften up the centre seam in the performance seats? The seats are new and the centre seam is a little hard just above my ****.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

How would I soften up the centre seam in the performance seats? The seats are new and the centre seam is a little hard just above my ****.
You are not the first to complain about that. After spending a lot of time sitting in both seat choices, I chose a car w/ the std. sport seats (no center seam) because I found them far more comfortable.

I suspect you'll get used to them as most who have them report them as comfortable enough.

BruceTheQuail (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 12:50 AM
Veteran Member

Cheers. They are lovely and comfy, but the seam rubs - it is like a tag on the top of your boxer shorts. I think that one member suggested sticking a towel down there which I suppose would work.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

For my wife, I added a thin gel pad that fits the seat back perfectly. Otherwise she wasn't going to be riding in the car because of that seam:https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...9/#post1433320

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
BruceTheQuail (04-13-2016), Smoke Em (04-13-2016)

Quick Reply: Sport seats are different - is it 2017 or black pack?