F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport vs. Performance Seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 09:16 AM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Sport vs. Performance Seats

I did a search, but I was surprised to find that this apparently hasn't been discussed (searched on "sport" and "performance" in the title). I'm extremely close to placing an order for a 2017 F-Type. I sat in several F-Types yesterday to get a better idea of the options I want. I want a camel interior to go along with the BRG exterior, but in order to get the camel interior you're required to order the Performance Seats ($1,410) and Extended Leather Pack ($2,185.50). I can understand the requirement for the Performance Seats, but the Extended Leather Pack part seems odd given that the leather added would be black. Regardless, it is what it is which is $3,825. Now I'm wondering if the camel interior is worth the extra $$$. FYI, I'm not a person who is a fan of leather in general and am perfectly happy with cloth. I don't dislike leather, but don't see the value that most others do.

The Sport Seat and Performance Seat did feel different to me, but I can't really say that one felt better. However, I know the feel and your impression of seats can change over time. The Performance Seat does feel tighter. For those who have the Sport Seats, do you find them perfectly adequate or do you find yourself wishing that you had upgraded? For those with Performance Seats, what do you feel the benefit is versus the Sport Seats alone? And for anyone who has a good bit of experience with both, which would you choose given the extra $$$ involved. FYI, I don't plan on tracking the car but might take some four hour or so trips in it.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

This is one of those polarizing subjects in this community.

I carefully compared both and found the base sports seats far more comfortable, and I am tall and thin (6'2", 180 lbs). I am still very happy with them after 2 years. There is plenty of side bolstering and the base sport seats provide good lateral support. They are also a little softer than the performance seats.

I've sat in the optional performance seats many times since, and still have the same impression. I have broad shoulders, and the wings on the performance seats also bothered me.

Based upon forum comments, I don't recall a single base sport seat buyer who wishes they had opted for performance seats, but there have been multiple performance seat owners who wished they had opted for the sport seats. Numerous performance seat buyers have also complained about the vertical seam running down the middle of the back and seat cushions.

In addition to cost, another consideration is that the performance seats are much heavier, but they do look more upscale. It's just a matter of personal preference.

The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
ImNotFamousAnymore (01-24-2016), jaymsu (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2016, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
This is one of those polarizing subjects in this community.

I carefully compared both and found the base sports seats far more comfortable, and I am tall and thin (6'2", 180 lbs). I am still very happy with them after 2 years. There is plenty of side bolstering and the base sport seats provide good lateral support. They are also a little softer than the performance seats.

I've sat in the optional performance seats many times since, and still have the same impression. I have broad shoulders, and the wings on the performance seats also bothered me.

Based upon forum comments, I don't recall a single base sport seat buyer who wishes they had opted for performance seats, but there have been multiple performance seat owners who wished they had opted for the sport seats. Numerous performance seat buyers have also complained about the vertical seam running down the middle of the back and seat cushions.

In addition to cost, another consideration is that the performance seats are much heavier, but they do look more upscale. It's just a matter of personal preference.
+1 from someone who opted for the performance seats to get the camel. My preference would have been standard seats (weight & that rib in the center was a serious issue for my wife until I resolved it with a thin gel pad) and the standard upper treatment (leather headliner...why?). To me, still worth the extra cost for the camel color. You have to decide for yourself.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:54 AM
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

100% agree. Aside from looks, the sport seats are far more usable and practical for daily driving and suit the rest of the interior well enough.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by ImNotFamousAnymore
100% agree. Aside from looks, the sport seats are far more usable and practical for daily driving and suit the rest of the interior well enough.
I don't find the Performance seats to lack either usability or practicality for daily driving. I'll admit that appearance was partly a factor, but the main reason I got them was that I wanted something that would best keep me in place while cornering. In addition to the bolsters, suedecloth seemed like it would help, and was only an option for the Performance seats. I could have done without the seudecloth elsewhere, but that was not an option.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:03 PM
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I didn't want black seats. That put me into the Extended Leather Package, and Performance Seats. I like what I got, in Brogue. Neither my wife nor I can feel the seam. I suggest you get the flat bottom steering wheel. It makes getting in and out a little easier.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I don't find the Performance seats to lack either usability or practicality for daily driving. I'll admit that appearance was partly a factor, but the main reason I got them was that I wanted something that would best keep me in place while cornering. In addition to the bolsters, suedecloth seemed like it would help, and was only an option for the Performance seats. I could have done without the seudecloth elsewhere, but that was not an option.
On the contrary, the suede insert is standard on the base sport seats or it was in 2014.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-24-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

On the contrary, the suede insert is standard on the base sport seats or it was in 2014.
The options for 2014 didn't include the coupe or a manual transmission, so I wasn't considering seriously yet

I went back and forth on the configurator many times, so my recollection may be off, but for 2016 the Performance seats were only available with suedecloth in Jet, no other colors. I didn't really look at the Sport seat options. Options bundles are infuriating sometimes, in that compromises need to be made or extra money spent over what could be had with an a la carte menu. For dealers ordering for stock they make sense, but when I special order I'd really like to have the full range of choice.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member

The options for 2014 didn't include the coupe or a manual transmission, so I wasn't considering seriously yet

I went back and forth on the configurator many times, so my recollection may be off, but for 2016 the Performance seats were only available with suedecloth in Jet, no other colors. I didn't really look at the Sport seat options. Options bundles are infuriating sometimes, in that compromises need to be made or extra money spent over what could be had with an a la carte menu. For dealers ordering for stock they make sense, but when I special order I'd really like to have the full range of choice.
Yes, options do change a lot from year to year. In 14, the no-cost base seat choices were Cirrus or Jet with appropriate color suede insert. To get all leather, one had to select Performance seats.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by IRRBrogue
I suggest you get the flat bottom steering wheel. It makes getting in and out a little easier.
Yes, I will. I realized that when I sat in the F-Types yesterday

Options bundles are infuriating sometimes, in that compromises need to be made or extra money spent over what could be had with an a la carte menu. For dealers ordering for stock they make sense, but when I special order I'd really like to have the full range of choice.
+1, when I bought my S2000 it was much easier. The only option was the color. Otherwise, all of them were exactly the same.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:21 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Sport seat options haven't changed much, mineral has been deleted, but jet or cirrus with suede cloth inserts are still standard or for $500 more the sport seats are also offered in all leather, in jet or cirrus.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

I have the sports seats - in black - with the suedecloth inserts. Comfy, warm in winter (-5C last week), cool in summer. Hold you in place while cornering.

I note however that I can buy a set of the full leather variety on eBay.co.uk for just £320 at the moment.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:02 PM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

I like my performance seats, but I wouldn't pay thousands extra for them, mine were in my car I didn't specifically choose them, I don't find them uncomfortable and I think they look good. However I also like the look ofthe standard seats and if anything they look slightly more cushioned which would be welcome on the occasional 3+ hour drive.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:08 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by IRRBrogue
I didn't want black seats. That put me into the Extended Leather Package, and Performance Seats. I like what I got, in Brogue. Neither my wife nor I can feel the seam. I suggest you get the flat bottom steering wheel. It makes getting in and out a little easier.
+1 I got Performance seats so I could get red leather; included the extended leather pack. I love the way the seats feel; they fit me just right.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:01 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

Since I bought used, I didn't get a choice. Mine came with performance seats. The seam in the middle doesn't bother me at all. They are a bit confining, but not in an uncomfortable way. Haven't been for a long drive, but I suspect that they may get tiring on a road trip since they are pretty firm.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:30 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,104 Likes on 1,405 Posts

Originally Posted by mshedden
...mineral has been deleted...

Geez, my external color (salsa red) and interior color (mineral) have both been deleted. I like both of them, but I must be in the minority.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:49 PM

I went and sat in both seats again today. I like the feel of both, but can't really say that the performance seats would be worth the extra money. The car I'm getting is BRG with a beige top. Since I couldn't decide for sure on the camel interior given that it doesn't match the beige top, I decided to just go with the black interior with the sport seats. The order was placed for the car today. The build date is scheduled to be 04/08 with a 05/27 delivery date. It's going to be a long wait. Thanks everyone for your help.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:15 PM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Bret_T
I'm extremely close to placing an order for a 2017 F-Type...I want a camel interior to go along with the BRG exterior, but in order to get the camel interior you're required to order the Performance Seats ($1,410) and Extended Leather Pack ($2,185.50).
The on-line configuration tool is NOT the ultimate ordering system. The dealer has a lot more flexibility on option orders than you have on the web configuration tool. I could have lived without the Extended Leather Pack that was automatically inserted when I wanted the Vision Pack (1 year of ownership and I wouldn't change a thing though...).

Every little option has its own 4-digit alpha-numeric code, and their are negative codes (C69Z: Less Jaguar Tyre Repair System). I believe you CAN order the camel interior without the Performance seats, the dealer just has to do some work with you. If the option is available, you can probably order it unless it conflicts with something fundamental to the car's design. Ask the dealer for a "Configured Vehicle Specification" order.

My dealer said they don't like going "too custom" since in NJ you can opt not to buy the car right up until final delivery and they don't want to be stuck with something that is too peculiar. My dealer also said that if you want to go really custom they'll contact Jaguar SVO (anyone else besides me want an XF-Shooting Brake in USA spec??).

Old 01-25-2016, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by TR64ever
I believe you CAN order the camel interior without the Performance seats, the dealer just has to do some work with you. If the option is available, you can probably order it unless it conflicts with something fundamental to the car's design. Ask the dealer for a "Configured Vehicle Specification" order.
I literally set with them when they configured the car using their ordering system. A window literally popped up stating that the performance seats and extended leather package had to be added in order to add the camel interior. If there's a way to change things beyond that, they didn't seem to know it. Regardless, I probably wouldn't get the camel anyway because of the mismatch with the beige top. I do have a printout that shows every option detail, though it's at home and I don't recall what it was titled.

Last edited by Bret_T; 01-25-2016 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
+1 from someone who opted for the performance seats to get the camel. My preference would have been standard seats (weight & that rib in the center was a serious issue for my wife until I resolved it with a thin gel pad) and the standard upper treatment (leather headliner...why?). To me, still worth the extra cost for the camel color. You have to decide for yourself.
I don't know anyone who researched ordering this car more thoroughly than Unhingd. Basic sports seats have always only been available in limited colors. In '14 it was Mineral, Cirrus, and Black, but now it's just Cirrus and Black.

This is a pretty typical way for manufacturers to increase their profit margin by forcing people to order expensive options like the performance seats to get the color scheme of their dreams.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-25-2016 at 03:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Sport vs. Performance Seats