F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squealing from rear at low speeds

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 03:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Squealing from rear at low speeds

Hey guys - long time lurker, first time poster (do people still say that?), but I need some help!

Today as I was driving through a parking lot in my '15 F-Type, I took a left turn (super low speed) and felt a slight grinding/vibration from the back end - I assumed it was a pothole that one of my tires was briefly stuck in, and continued my drive as normal with no other issues/sounds. Unsure if these two issues are related, but fast forward about 30 minutes as I'm pulling into my driveway, and I notice a pretty significant squealing coming from the back end. The noise was happening under 25 MPH, and while I was in park. It almost sounded like a constant whistling sound?

I've scoured the forums and it looks like a handful of people have had a similar issue with exhaust valves - but due to the fact that I felt that grinding/vibration in a turn earlier in the day, I don't know if that's my issue. Anyone else ever experience anything similar? It's certified, so I'm assuming/hoping whatever it is, it's covered under warranty, BUT I have a 45 mile drive to the nearest dealership, and I don't want to have to make that twice...

Thanks in advance!!

Old 10-15-2019, 03:58 PM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by knives
Hey guys - long time lurker, first time poster (do people still say that?), but I need some help!

Today as I was driving through a parking lot in my '15 F-Type, I took a left turn (super low speed) and felt a slight grinding/vibration from the back end - I assumed it was a pothole that one of my tires was briefly stuck in, and continued my drive as normal with no other issues/sounds. Unsure if these two issues are related, but fast forward about 30 minutes as I'm pulling into my driveway, and I notice a pretty significant squealing coming from the back end. The noise was happening under 25 MPH, and while I was in park. It almost sounded like a constant whistling sound?

I've scoured the forums and it looks like a handful of people have had a similar issue with exhaust valves - but due to the fact that I felt that grinding/vibration in a turn earlier in the day, I don't know if that's my issue. Anyone else ever experience anything similar? It's certified, so I'm assuming/hoping whatever it is, it's covered under warranty, BUT I have a 45 mile drive to the nearest dealership, and I don't want to have to make that twice...

Thanks in advance!!
There have been posts describing similar sounds during low speed driving (and turning) that related to a differential problem, but if you issues happen while in park, I imagine we can rule that out.

Old 10-15-2019, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 250 Posts

Some people have reported the active exhaust valves sometimes squeak.

Old 10-15-2019, 05:19 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
Some people have reported the active exhaust valves sometimes squeak.
that's what I read, just took it out for a quick drive to test the squeakiness and it's entirely disappeared - for whatever reason, a quick drive has solved every issue this car has ever had

Old 10-15-2019, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 408 Likes on 280 Posts

could be pads to

Old 10-15-2019, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by knives
that's what I read, just took it out for a quick drive to test the squeakiness and it's entirely disappeared - for whatever reason, a quick drive has solved every issue this car has ever had
That is known in the trade as an Italian Tune-up!

Old 10-15-2019, 08:41 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

I occasionally hear some chatter from the inside rear wheel when I both turn sharply and accelerate in my 2014 V8, sometimes with slightly more z-axs rotation then I would expect from the steering wheel angle alone. I wondered if it could be a screwed up e-diff, too. But the car generally drives fine and accelerates evenly when pointed straight. After a while I decided it is the e-diff working, instead of not working. It seems to be a typical modern day, over-complicated solution trying to do too much and not working as well as the old fashioned, analog way.

Last edited by RacerX; 10-15-2019 at 08:44 PM.