Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stainless Steel Brake Lines for Jaguar F-Type V6S

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stainless Steel Brake Lines for Jaguar F-Type V6S

Greetings everyone,

I just joined this forum and I have a question for everyone. Does anybody know if there's a brand that makes stainless steel brake lines for Jaguar F-Type? Mine's a F-Type V6S with super performance brake. Much appreciated for your time!

Best,
Will

Old 09-26-2019, 10:59 AM

Just called Dick Corman from Goodridge and he will update me once he contacted his UK engineering team regarding F-Type brake line.

Old 09-26-2019, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

All modern Jag brake lines including the F-Type are braided steel from the factory, it's just that they are also covered in rubber tubing.
Dunno if they are stainless steel or not but they probably are.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by wshen94
Just called Dick Corman from Goodridge and he will update me once he contacted his UK engineering team regarding F-Type brake line.
Outstanding. Would love to swap for stainless braided (exterior) lines. Could always have them custom fabricated, but would be much more affordable if off-the-shelf or group buy. Over time as hoses and tubing need to be replaced, I intend to convert all of them to real braided stainless (not the fake JCWhitney crap).

Old 09-27-2019, 08:57 AM

No I don't think so. If you compare the brake feel between F Type and one with steel brake line, the difference is huge.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:58 AM

Do you happen to have any clear picture of the factory F-Type brake line? Dick told me that his engineering team would like to check if the connector matches the one they have designed in the past. If not, they might have to custom make it and if so it's a great opportunity for a group buy.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:40 PM
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

No I don't think so. If you compare the brake feel between F Type and one with steel brake line, the difference is huge.
...how have you been able to compare the brake feel between the two on an F-Type, if you're currently looking for an aftermarket source, which seems like it needs to be custom made and therefore doesn't exist yet...?

Old 09-27-2019, 01:25 PM

I'm merely comparing the pedal feeling of my friend's E92 M3 before he did the mod and after he did the mod. And comparing the after mod pedal feeling to my Jaguar, the steel brake line does make a big difference.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

FWIW, I haven't found the need for them on the F-Type. I cannot confirm what OzXFR said above, but I haven't experienced what you typically experience with rubber tubing.

For those that haven't looked into SS braid brake lines, it's to keep the hoses from flexing under heat and pressure. What can happen is that as the temperatures heat up (say track usage), the rubber can absorb heat and then flex when pressure to the braking system applied. This will give a little more "mushy" feeling to the brake pedal under hard use.

That being said, I haven't experienced any of that with the F-Type. I would wager the main difference you felt with your friend's BMW had to with a fresh brake bleed more than the SS braided lines. A normal/cool temperatures, there won't be enough flex in the rubber to notice much of a difference from the lines solely (unless the previous rubber line were subjected to high amounts of heat over a period of time where the rubber has started breaking down). I do run SS braided brake lines on my race car and my 4C.

The following users liked this post:
DJS (09-27-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 02:38 PM

Yes I went to a track day on NJMP and after a morning of track use I can feel the soft squishy feeling of the pedal. That's one of the reasons I'm thinking of changing the brake line. Other than that the normal one works fine for street use.

Old 09-27-2019, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
All modern Jag brake lines including the F-Type are braided steel from the factory, it's just that they are also covered in rubber tubing.
Dunno if they are stainless steel or not but they probably are.
From page 5005 of my copy of the F-Type Workshop Manual:

"The brake pipes distribute pressure from the master cylinder to the
four corners of the vehicle via the ABS (anti-lock brake system)
module. Braided steel hoses are used to connect the brake pipes to
the front and rear calipers."

Old 09-27-2019, 06:35 PM
Received 253 Likes on 171 Posts

From page 5005 of my copy of the F-Type Workshop Manual:

"The brake pipes distribute pressure from the master cylinder to the
four corners of the vehicle via the ABS (anti-lock brake system)
module. Braided steel hoses are used to connect the brake pipes to
the front and rear calipers."
They ARE stainless steel braided from the factory. They have an exterior polymer coating (clear). There is no need to swap anything and comparing a BMW brake pedal feel... to that of the F-Type and making any claim of difference is nonsense. Different brake system...

The following users liked this post:
OzXFR (09-27-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by FType17
There is no need to swap anything and comparing a BMW brake pedal feel... to that of the F-Type and making any claim of difference is nonsense. Different brake system...
That's not what he's comparing. He compared the BMW system before and after the lines were changed and is asking if the same improvement would be felt on the F-Type with a change of lines.

Old 09-27-2019, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
That's not what he's comparing. He compared the BMW system before and after the lines were changed and is asking if the same improvement would be felt on the F-Type with a change of lines.
Do we know what the M3 brake lines were made of before the change to SS?
wshen94 is implying they were rubber but is that the case or not?
If they were the same as or similar to Jag brake lines (plastic/rubber coated braided SS) the improvement could have been down to what Mahjik says, quote "I would wager the main difference you felt with your friend's BMW had to with a fresh brake bleed more than the SS braided lines."

Old 09-28-2019, 12:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Do we know what the M3 brake lines were made of before the change to SS?
wshen94 is implying they were rubber but is that the case or not?
If they were the same as or similar to Jag brake lines (plastic/rubber coated braided SS) the improvement could have been down to what Mahjik says, quote "I would wager the main difference you felt with your friend's BMW had to with a fresh brake bleed more than the SS braided lines."
My point was mostly to not criticize someone for something they didn't say. He said the change of lines on another car (plus unknown other work but at minimum bleeding the system) helped, so asked if the same might apply to the F-Type. I'm not sure if he implied more, but I did not infer more.

Old 09-28-2019, 12:07 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Yes I went to a track day on NJMP and after a morning of track use I can feel the soft squishy feeling of the pedal. That's one of the reasons I'm thinking of changing the brake line. Other than that the normal one works fine for street use.
i noticed this too

Old 09-28-2019, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Holy F type
i noticed this too
I suspect that even if the OEM lines have a braided component, they’re not as stout as a true heavy duty braided racing line. However, it is possible that the temperatures are sufficient to introduce fluid vapor into the brake lines. A high temp silicone brake fluid might be in order.

Old 09-28-2019, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
A high temp silicone brake fluid might be in order.
+1

I would attempt using a higher temp brake fluid before going to SS brake lines.

Old 09-29-2019, 02:27 PM

Thank you. I was indeed referring to that the pedal feeling before and after SS brake line on the BMW E92 M3. I have a hard time to believe that F-Type uses SS brake line from the factory, but I suppose I should change the fluid first and then confirm with the local dealer parts department to verify that by myself.

Old 09-29-2019, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Please read posting #11 above containing the quote from the F-Type Workshop Manual which clearly refers to the steel braided lines.

Quick Reply: Stainless Steel Brake Lines for Jaguar F-Type V6S