F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Standard Merridian Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 10:32 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Standard Merridian Stereo

Fellow F Type owners. Do any of you share my opinion on the stock stereo that it is very weak??? I am curious if any of you have looked into doing something to upgrade with an outside car audio store that specializes in these types of cool vehicles. I live in Northern California. If anyone has any ideas or comments, it would be greatly appreciated. TAR

Old 02-14-2015, 10:53 AM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

It's not great but with a decent source it can sound OK. It's saying something that the audio system in my truck has far better depth, separation and clarity than the Meridian system. Meridian is a quality brand, but this particular system isn't as good as it should be. I have some of the buzzing and rattling others have described, but much of it I suspect is the build and design of the car. The rattling doesn't seem to be the speakers etc, it's the components and hardware around them in the doors and other locations. Still, with a good source I can get acceptable to good audio quality but not much better than that.

The following 2 users liked this post by swajames:
mawheele (02-14-2015), Tar1018 (02-14-2015)
Old 02-14-2015, 11:53 AM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Agreed. The sound system is OK'ish. But the main problem is the engineering of the installation is sub-standard and not fit for purpose. Jaguar will just point you at a dealer who'll tape up the cables in the door, stuff in a little foam and make the sound even worse.

Many of us have been trying to ask JLR to take a proper look at this for over 16 months, but they just ignore the conversation hoping it will go away.

The following users liked this post:
Tar1018 (02-14-2015)
Old 02-14-2015, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

Don't see the point in starting another thread when it's all going on already in this one...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...system-132408/

And it's probably stating the obvious, but if the stock system was any good, then they wouldn't need to offer an option for an upgrade.

Last edited by OzRisk; 02-14-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:40 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Oz risk. I was unaware there was another thread. Even though there is another, my concern was completely different. Just saying.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:03 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by OzRisk
Don't see the point in starting another thread when it's all going on already in this one...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...system-132408/

And it's probably stating the obvious, but if the stock system was any good, then they wouldn't need to offer an option for an upgrade.
The base system offered in the US is in fact an upgrade option elsewhere. The US didn't get the actual base system. And the upgraded system offered in the U.S. isn't much better. Neither are really up to the job.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

You play with it and it sounds ok. All of the truly upgraded options at Porsche, Audi, Maser, etc. cost $5k! Vibrations should be repairable with Dynamat at the dealer.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by bjg625
You play with it and it sounds ok. All of the truly upgraded options at Porsche, Audi, Maser, etc. cost $5k! Vibrations should be repairable with Dynamat at the dealer.

Not having taken delivery of an F-Type yet, I can't personally comment on the quality of the Meridian system. However, from a statistical sampling standpoint, there is a very serious problem that needs to be addressed by JLR. This is the first forum that I have seen anywhere that has this much attention focused on the "crappy" quality of the sound system. For a car costing between $65k and $120k , you should not have to play with it to make it sound just ok. You should only have to play with it to make it sound perfect for your individual taste. And having to rely on dealer repairs to make many of the sold systems tolerable is just unacceptable. For those of you fortunate enough to receive a properly functioning sound system, mazel tov. I hope I will be so fortunate.

DuhCar (02-15-2015)
Old 02-15-2015, 06:50 AM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

All,

I've had a couple of Porsches a 987 and 997. One featured the Bose ($1500) and the other the Upgraded Porsche Plus system. Both were superior.

Its important to note though that the problem we are experiencing is less to do with the system itself and the not fit for purpose installation that JLR severely under-engineered.

And foam is not the solution! You wouldn't get any serious sound engineer suggesting foam. Have you opened a Bose, B&W and B&O product of late - its just well formed and engineered plastics that route and create the sound alongside great Digital Signal Processor setup.

The fact of the matter is that JLR poorly engineered the mounts within the doors along with all the ancillary components inside it that are causing the reverberation. Thats why JLR are avoiding the subject, its a lot of work to go and sort and warranty fix across 000's of cars now.

For those with the 770w system and the equaliser - all you are doing is taking away from the sound by reducing certain levels. Fortunately for you, you do have this option though - but if I'd paid what you had for the system, I'd be expecting perfection. Guys - you are paying more than you would in a Porsche for what was until 2 years ago their top system.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Given the noise level in the cabin of the coupe, if I wanted good sound I'd be using my iPhone with in-ear or full noise cancelling headphones.

As is, it's like sitting the speakers of your home hifi on top of the washing machine when it's on spin and expecting perfect sound.

HTH.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
This is the first forum that I have seen anywhere that has this much attention focused on the "crappy" quality of the sound system.
Oh, I have. There were far more contentious fights that ensued on the E9X M3 and Corvette Z06 forums (2006-2009) and many more people rampaging against them. The former was a HK "premium" system, and the latter a Bose. I've also seen similar posts (to varying degrees) regarding every other vehicle I've owned, which includes virtually all of the manufacturers.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
Given the noise level in the cabin of the coupe, if I wanted good sound I'd be using my iPhone with in-ear or full noise cancelling headphones.

As is, it's like sitting the speakers of your home hifi on top of the washing machine when it's on spin and expecting perfect sound.

HTH.
If this was the case, then they should not charge what they do for the car and put a big warning out that says...."system may not meet your standards due to the noise cabin and tuning of the F-Type." Not all folks dismiss the sound of audio, and when on, the reverb is lousy and not normal, and the rear speakers that are supposed to give you base are covered by the seats with terrible engineering as well. The first car ever that I paid for that was so bad, and paid handsomely at that. Thus the point here. Audio has meaning to some and not to others, but the quality as branded is off the mark, that is the main point here for clarity.

If we didn't like music so much, and if the system worked as stated there would be far fewer posts. I for one have a lot more time pressures elsewhere, than to slap a mfg. silly over a point, Audio! Lastly, why would they offer two systems, in some countries three. Because there is a customer value in a system and some are willing to pay more than others for this, with a good, better, best result, cabin noise or not.

All points of view, and those who defend "at times" have functioning systems, or listen to genre types that don't require base as much, thus the minimal reverb I would presume, finding the stereo acceptable. Jaguar more than Meridian have to fix this for the customer(s) who value this as a part of the "F" type experience, or risk a loss of branded trust, albeit a smaller issue than motor, ride, or other functioning areas in my view.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member

The F-Type experience is the first time I have been exposed to Meridian. Based on the the feedback, I was under the impression that they were a middle-of-the-road audio enterprise (similar to Sony, Pioneer) that had just missed the mark on this one. Researching their firm, I was shocked to find that they are trying to position themselves at the pinnacle of the market (even above, B&W, Dynaudio, Harman, Klipsch) with $20,000 CD players and speakers costing thousands of dollars. Laughable. Their inattention to the F-Type issue has already ruined their reputation, at least for me. I would never consider a Meridian sound system at any price. The fact that it comes with the F-Type is just another compromise that has to be made for me to acquire the F-Type. (Similar to forsaking the V8 in favor of the 6 speed)

Last edited by Unhingd; 05-03-2015 at 08:02 AM.
slojotaa (05-03-2015)
Old 05-03-2015, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
The F-Type experience is the first time I have been exposed to Meridian. Based on the the feedback, I was under the impression that they were a middle-of-the-road audio enterprise (similar to Sony, Pioneer) that had just missed the mark on this one. Researching their firm, I was shocked to find that they are trying to position themselves at the pinnacle of the market (even above, B&W, Dynaudio, Harman, Klipsch) with $20,000 CD players and speakers costing thousands of dollars. Laughable. Their inattention to the F-Type issue has already ruined their reputation, at least for me. I would never consider a Meridian sound system at any price. The fact that it comes with the F-Type is just another compromise that has to be made for me to acquire the F-Type. (Similar to forsaking the V8 in favor of the 6 speed)
I couldn't agree with you more. I do think that "JLR" holds most of the responsibility though. The system, specs, placement, build is in there hands. Where Meridian went wrong, is to allow this to happen and have their brand name pasted in full view on the doors and radio power up, reminding us of who "perceptually" is to blame. Too bad, and their system in the XJL, stock isn't bad at all, in fact quite pleasing to my ears.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:23 AM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts

Having read all the posts, regarding the "flawed" Meridian/JLR system prepared me for the worst. Add to that, my entry level Meridian did not come with Siris XM, which is an important feature for me.

The sales rep at the dealership was a former "high-end" stereo sales rep at a facility in the Bay Area. He explained the Meridian features, which were impressive and yes I realize his duty is to close the deal.

That aside, he solved my satellite issue by informing me of the smart phone download and I now run Pandora and Sirius through the Bluetooth, as posted on a prior thread.

I have to say that the sound quality is excellent, no rattle and no distortion. I have owned (like most of you) an assortment of interesting cars and I would put this system right up there with the best.

Foosh (05-03-2015)
Old 05-03-2015, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tahoe Dave
Having read all the posts, regarding the "flawed" Meridian/JLR system prepared me for the worst. Add to that, my entry level Meridian did not come with Siris XM, which is an important feature for me.

The sales rep at the dealership was a former "high-end" stereo sales rep at a facility in the Bay Area. He explained the Meridian features, which were impressive and yes I realize his duty is to close the deal.

That aside, he solved my satellite issue by informing me of the smart phone download and I now run Pandora and Sirius through the Bluetooth, as posted on a prior thread.

I have to say that the sound quality is excellent, no rattle and no distortion. I have owned (like most of you) an assortment of interesting cars and I would put this system right up there with the best.
Hi, and thanks for the useful post, and happy that your system is as you state. Your system is in a 16? or an earlier year? Is it the 380W or 770W? When was it made (by the vin code), in that I am trying to nail down if a fix at the factory was made. Again, happy you are happy and solved your sirius situation. Ahhhhh, the beauty of streaming, USB drives etc. Makes music such a joy when driving!!! Good Luck

Old 05-03-2015, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by slojotaa
Hi, and thanks for the useful post, and happy that your system is as you state. Your system is in a 16? or an earlier year? Is it the 380W or 770W? When was it made (by the vin code), in that I am trying to nail down if a fix at the factory was made. Again, happy you are happy and solved your sirius situation. Ahhhhh, the beauty of streaming, USB drives etc. Makes music such a joy when driving!!! Good Luck
Yes, his is a '16, and 770w is now std on all US-spec F-Types, even the base cars.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yes, his is a '16, and 770w is now std on all US-spec F-Types, even the base cars.

Ahh, Foosh if this is the case, then I am starting to build data points that they have possibly corrected the situation in the 16's, which makes me even more diligent on getting mine corrected as well. Same cab, higher wattage, something else must have been done to correct this if the data points continue to come in with "content" statements.

May be a light at the end of the tunnel afterall??? Hopefully and thanks for updating the model year question!!!

Have a great Sunday,

Old 05-03-2015, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tahoe Dave
.. no rattle and no distortion.
is the basic benchmark any auto system is expected to achieve, whether expensive or inexpensive. Excellent is when it sounds like you're in a music hall. Poor is when the music is coming out of speakers in the door and dashboard. Ridiculous is when not much comes out of the speakers behind you. Here's hoping they addressed the issues in the MY16.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member

Slojotaa,

With all the widespread dissatisfaction, there's no doubt in my mind that JLR corporate has heard it and worked the issue. I agree that the jury is still out on whether they actually fully resolved the issue in '16s, but I'm guessing they've tried.

Even though I'm satisfied, I applaud your and other efforts to resolve your dissatisfaction, and I don't doubt that there is a real issue on too many cars. You and Mawheele are doing a great job of pressing the issue in a constructive way.

Best, Clay

The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
mawheele (05-04-2015), slojotaa (05-03-2015)

Quick Reply: Standard Merridian Stereo