F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Start up Rev

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 02:23 AM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Start up Rev

For cars with the active exhaust, the car opens the valves on start up to make a nice crackly roar.

I like this a lot except when I need to leave at 5am in the morning, and I cringe for the sleeping family and Neighbours every time. So much so that a couple'of times I have left the Jag at home and taken my Land Rover instead if I have an early start.

Is there a way to stop it doing this?

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (02-09-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 03:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
For cars with the active exhaust, the car opens the valves on start up to make a nice crackly roar.

I like this a lot except when I need to leave at 5am in the morning, and I cringe for the sleeping family and Neighbours every time. So much so that a couple'of times I have left the Jag at home and taken my Land Rover instead if I have an early start.

This has been discussed in another thread. In short, no, you can't silence the bark.

Someone suggested turning the car on to accessory mode first (I.e. Press start without your foot on the brake). I tried that countless times but didn't help.

I also tried setting the car in Wet/Snow mode before startup - no difference.

The only thing that tones the noise down quickly is to put it in gear. But that won't stop the initial bark since it must be running before you can do that.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:28 AM

Thanks, I thought so, I have already figured out the put it in gear thing, I have one hand on the shifter and the other on the start button and shift it as soon as it fires if it is early in the morning.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Lean a batt of fiberglass insulation up against the back of your tail pipes when you start it up.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

The same is true on the base sport exhaust because the exhaust is always open since there are no valves.

And OZ is right, there is no way to stop it. I tried all the "tricks" others have reported on this forum over the last 6 months or so. None of them work.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:17 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I found the accessory mode trick worked sometimes, perhaps because the car was already warm when I tried it. But didn't work all the time.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:42 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I have mine garaged and sometimes I start it with the garage door down until the initial growl subsides. Obviously this doesn't help anyone if you park it outside or in a communal garage.

If you start the car after it has been running for a while and the engine is still warm, it is not as loud (but by that time you are away from home and the noise doesn't matter anymore!).

Old 02-09-2015, 04:37 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

For cars with the active exhaust, the car opens the valves on start up to make a nice crackly roar. I like this a lot except when I need to leave at 5am in the morning, and I cringe for the sleeping family and Neighbours every time. So much so that a couple'of times I have left the Jag at home and taken my Land Rover instead if I have an early start. Is there a way to stop it doing this?
I don't understand the issue unless you live in an area with really cheap construction.

If my Fiancee starts up my R Coupe in the garage and I am in the living room I can't hear it. And my garage is built into my house. Plus I have good hearing.

So I can't fathom how someone can hear it from inside another house.

I mean do their houses have no soundproofing?

Makes me wonder what happens when they have sex.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:57 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
Makes me wonder what happens when they have sex.

Someone could explain it to you.

(Sorry, sometimes a smartass can't keep his mouth shut.)

The following 3 users liked this post by DJS:
AnD3rew (02-10-2015), OzRisk (02-10-2015), Unhingd (02-09-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
Someone could explain it to you. (Sorry, sometimes a smartass can't keep his mouth shut.)
Good response!

But seriously most well built homes these days are soundproofed for privacy both internally and externally.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member

It's obviously not an issue starting in your own garage in the average up-scale burb. However, a lot of people don't live in brand new, fancy houses in the burbs, but in more crowded urban areas, compromised of older homes in cities very close together. I live on 10 acres with no houses anywhere near, so I couldn't disturb a neighbor if I tried.

My biggest issue with it is starting the car in the underground parking garage in my office building in downtown DC. I get a lot of looks like, "was that really necessary," but I don't lose any sleep over it.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh

My biggest issue with it is starting the car in the underground parking garage in my office building in downtown DC. I get a lot of looks like, "was that really necessary," but I don't lose any sleep over it.
Have you set off any car alarms in the parking garage with your F-Type yet? That happens with my pickup truck on a regular basis.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Have you set off any car alarms in the parking garage with your F-Type yet? That happens with my pickup truck on a regular basis.
Yes, but not often because most don't lock their cars. We have armed guards and metal barriers that rise out of the ground at all entrances. It takes a scanned ID, the appropriate parking sticker, and car search to get in.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh
It's obviously not an issue starting in your own garage in the average up-scale burb. However, a lot of people don't live in brand new, fancy houses in the burbs, but in more crowded urban areas, compromised of older homes in cities very close together. I live on 10 acres with no houses anywhere near, so I couldn't disturb a neighbor if I tried. My biggest issue with it is starting the car in the underground parking garage in my office building in downtown DC. I get a lot of looks like, "was that really necessary," but I don't lose any sleep over it.
I don't live in a burb, but in the city of Atlanta. My lot size is small compared with suburban houses, and the houses, while large, are quite close together. However the place is built very well, and yes it is brand new so the sound proofing and windows are good quality.

I really think we are worrying about nothing here. I would say don't worry about this issue unless you get several complaints. I haven't heard a single complaint.

Last edited by StealthPilot; 02-09-2015 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member

Agreed, just an interesting discussion. As I said, I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:06 AM

Well the houses in my neighborhood including mine are built around 1907, they are ok for their age but not in any way soundproof, you have to understand that this is not a North American climate and the houses are much less insulated etc. also I don't have a garage and my car sits in a driveway about 14 feet from the Neighbours wall.

The following 2 users liked this post by AnD3rew:
DuhCar (02-10-2015), Foosh (02-10-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 02:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

Well the houses in my neighborhood including mine are built around 1907, they are ok for their age but not in any way soundproof, you have to understand that this is not a North American climate and the houses are much less insulated etc. also I don't have a garage and my car sits in a driveway about 14 feet from the Neighbours wall.
Exactly the same for me. My car is in the drive, 3 feet from my neighbours wall.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (02-10-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 05:21 AM
Veteran Member

It is quite likely the "rev feature" will succumb to political correctness and will be discontinued at some point on future models. Heaven forbid we should have to exert some effort with our right legs to reproduce that sound.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by lhoboy
It is quite likely the "rev feature" will succumb to political correctness and will be discontinued at some point on future models. Heaven forbid we should have to exert some effort with our right legs to reproduce that sound.
I don't know. I think it's there because it's needed on a cold start. It's not for show.

My BMW has it too. And I think my Lexus did that as well but it was just not as noisy when revving.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:22 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

My Audi also did it. Personally I love it and don't find it any louder than the motorcycles in my parking garage. It's also just a quick bark that quiets down fairly quickly. I don't see that bugging the neighbors even if they could hear it.

Quick Reply: Start up Rev