Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Startup smell and smoke

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts
Default Startup smell and smoke

After car has been sitting for a couple days I have smokey startups (white smoke, can be seen in rear view mirror). To the point that if I reverse into my garage it will stink it up when I drive the car out. The smoke quickly goes away and I did not notice any coolant or oil loss over last 1000km. There are no codes. I don't see any signs of oil on exhaust outlets (just usual black soot).

I don't recall this being an issue before, but I now drive my F-type less frequently so it sits for longer period of time between getting started.

Is this normal for such use or do I have an issue?

Old 09-24-2019, 11:13 AM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Don't panic, it's not smoke!
Absolutely normal - The less you use the car, the more condensation/water vapour is generally produced when you do come to use it.

Old 09-24-2019, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Just a speculation, but a highly probable one.

Early stages of sticking injector.

Easy to rule out, run PEA through it, get the highest concentration to be effective.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (09-24-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 03:06 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Just a speculation, but a highly probable one.

Early stages of sticking injector.

Easy to rule out, run PEA through it, get the highest concentration to be effective.
one pea or run a bunch of peas through it?

Old 09-24-2019, 09:13 PM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

I believe the US spelling is PEE...

Old 09-24-2019, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

BG 44K contains P.E.A.

Old 09-25-2019, 12:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
BG 44K contains P.E.A.
Are your sure Lance?
From my brief research PEA stands for polyetheramine, and I have a new bottle of BG 44K in my hot little hand as I type. It lists the active ingredients on the bottle (under "contains") and nowhere does it mention PEA or polyethylamine. A bunch of other chemicals yes but not that one. I s'pose it's possible that P.E.A. is just a generic name for one of the listed ingredients or vice versa.
And yes some quick interwebz searching shows that PEA is a popular and effective fuel system cleaner ingredient and it's apparenty the major ingredient of Techron fuel system additive although again I couldn't find any direct evidence of that.

Old 09-25-2019, 05:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Are your sure Lance?
From my brief research PEA stands for polyetheramine, and I have a new bottle of BG 44K in my hot little hand as I type. It lists the active ingredients on the bottle (under "contains") and nowhere does it mention PEA or polyethylamine. A bunch of other chemicals yes but not that one. I s'pose it's possible that P.E.A. is just a generic name for one of the listed ingredients or vice versa.
And yes some quick interwebz searching shows that PEA is a popular and effective fuel system cleaner ingredient and it's apparenty the major ingredient of Techron fuel system additive although again I couldn't find any direct evidence of that.
At least according to BG it does. Check out 3:00 of the video: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...Number=2662389
The rest of it is sales hyperbole. The term “polyetheramine” is generic and includes a broad class of similar compounds that have discrete names when listed on the MSDS sheet.

BTW, BG 44K is no longer the gold standard for the F-Type. BG 44K Platinum (a tad more expensive, of course) was specifically designed for gasoline direct injection engines. Time to switch over.

Last edited by Unhingd; 09-25-2019 at 06:05 AM.
SinF (09-25-2019)
Old 09-25-2019, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I put a can of Seafoam in the gas tank, will report if anything changes.

Old 09-25-2019, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

Think about it. What substance do you know that will delaminate baked on carbon from steel and safe on metals and wont burn off @ 500f?
There really isnt any. Thats why you have to do several tanks worth. The initial pass only takes the edge off and everyone gets happy.

BK44 is PEA, as is everything that is added by the gas companies. Techron invented it. Its the only thing that has ever demonstrated the ability to remove carbon.
So it is the same thing packaged under different names, some have additional ingredients still to be proven.

The best value I have found when not relying one one tank wonders- is ironically called CRC1tank. Its the highest concentration of PEA and no gimmick company with solid reputation for all things chemicals.
Should be same concentration as bk44. It will take 3 passes to clean the injector.
I would use it all the time, carbon is an on going problem.

Old 09-25-2019, 10:34 AM
Received 149 Likes on 75 Posts

Think about it. What substance do you know that will delaminate baked on carbon from steel and safe on metals and wont burn off @ 500f?
There really isnt any. Thats why you have to do several tanks worth. The initial pass only takes the edge off and everyone gets happy.

BK44 is PEA, as is everything that is added by the gas companies. Techron invented it. Its the only thing that has ever demonstrated the ability to remove carbon.
So it is the same thing packaged under different names, some have additional ingredients still to be proven.

The best value I have found when not relying one one tank wonders- is ironically called CRC1tank. Its the highest concentration of PEA and no gimmick company with solid reputation for all things chemicals.
Should be same concentration as bk44. It will take 3 passes to clean the injector.
I would use it all the time, carbon is an on going problem.
i agree, after scoping the inside of a few they are packed with carbon build up, my only concern i think i read someplace to only treat every other oil change (3000x miles not the 10k service interval) due to the harshness of the PEA on other components in the fuel system, pump, plastics, rubber, etc? any other thoughts on this?

Old 09-25-2019, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Itismejoshy
my only concern i think i read someplace to only treat every other oil change (3000x miles not the 10k service interval) due to the harshness of the PEA on other components in the fuel system, pump, plastics, rubber, etc? any other thoughts on this?
Its completely safe in that regard by logic of deduction.
In this car its a given that you will have to change the injectors, more than once. if you dont clean it. And suffer other problems such as ruining the cat and o2 sensors. Bad gas mileage, lost performance.
Those other things are cheap in comparison.

The reason they want you to use only 2 bottles between oil changes is PEA does not burn in the combustion cycle (and why it works) which means you will increase your oil volume by the amount you use. So if you use 2 12oz bottles of techron which is 50% PEA you will raise oil level by 12oz. I use many times that amount before doing an oil change.
The other side effect is oil dilution, change of viscosity. To some degree this is a good thing in our Jag engines, as the oil is getting thicker everyday due to soot loading. Again before an oil change your oil will be at its thickest anyway.

Itismejoshy (09-25-2019)
Old 09-25-2019, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member

BTW, BG 44K is no longer the gold standard for the F-Type. BG 44K Platinum (a tad more expensive, of course) was specifically designed for gasoline direct injection engines. Time to switch over.
In that sales video, right at the end he says the only difference is the second proprietary chemical that cleans intake valves.
Well, that means Direct Injections owners need not apply as this product will not go anywhere near the intake valves.
Unless, is it a split-application, run through intake and gas tank only done at their service shops?

Old 09-25-2019, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member

In that sales video, right at the end he says the only difference is the second proprietary chemical that cleans intake valves.
Well, that means Direct Injections owners need not apply as this product will not go anywhere near the intake valves.
Unless, is it a split-application, run through intake and gas tank only done at their service shops?
The difference he is referring to is the difference between BG and their competitors. BG identifies Platinum as the product specifically developed for gasoline DI engines.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member

The difference he is referring to is the difference between BG and their competitors. BG identifies Platinum as the product specifically developed for gasoline DI engines.
Funny you should say that, my bottle of BG 44K which in not labelled as "Platinum" (so probably the older version) says in the blurb on the back "Excellent for maintenance of Gasoline Direct Injection engines". It also has a roundel on the front of the bottle saying "GDI Recommended Maintenance".
Gotta agree partly with Q&C here, I think this is marketing hype as no way putting a bottle of this in the fuel tank is going to clean carbon build up off the backs of the intake valves or the intake tracts on a GDI engine, it's a physical impossibility.
That said I'm still happy to use BG 44K as a fuel system and combustion chamber cleaner as from my research it's as good as or better than the rest.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Funny you should say that, my bottle of BG 44K which in not labelled as "Platinum" (so probably the older version) says in the blurb on the back "Excellent for maintenance of Gasoline Direct Injection engines". It also has a roundel on the front of the bottle saying "GDI Recommended Maintenance".
Gotta agree partly with Q&C here, I think this is marketing hype as no way putting a bottle of this in the fuel tank is going to clean carbon build up off the backs of the intake valves or the intake tracts on a GDI engine, it's a physical impossibility.
That said I'm still happy to use BG 44K as a fuel system and combustion chamber cleaner as from my research it's as good as or better than the rest.
You and Q&C are having a logic attack. I’ll have to agree with you on this.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member

You and Q&C are having a logic attack. I’ll have to agree with you on this.
I feel honoured having the great unhingd one agree with me!

Old 09-26-2019, 07:44 AM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

2-pak BG 44K Platinum, $35.99 including shipping, received in 3 days. I'll try it just because I don't put many miles on in the course of a year.

Old 10-01-2019, 01:23 PM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Blueish-white smoke on startup could point to a valve guide and/or valve seal issue. Did the smoke smell like oil or fuel?

Old 10-02-2019, 10:08 AM
Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Do we not have AOS issues on these cars? Coming from Porsche, those fail frequently and show the same symptoms.

SinF (10-02-2019)

Quick Reply: Startup smell and smoke