F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stay away from vMax - They ripped me off!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 07:24 PM
Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Stay away from vMax - They ripped me off!!!

This post is a bit long, but PLEASE read through to the end before deciding on a tune, especially by vMax.

I took delivery of my MY 2016 R Coupe on November 6th of last year. The car was perfect and did not need anything. Unfortunately, I saw the gains from the early vMax tunes and I was tempted to mess with a good thing. I contacted Bill Jones of vMax via PM and had a few good conversations. I told him I was interested but had two concerns. The first was to see more results from other guinea pigs and, being from Raleigh, North Carolina, finding someone locally to do the tune and pulley swap. He reassured me there was no danger to the car and that, when the time came, he would help me find someone local to do the work.

I continued to monitor the forums and saw several other people post impressive tune results. I could not leave well enough alone and told Bill I would like to proceed and needed his help finding a shop. He found a place in Raleigh, probably just by Googling “Dyno in Raleigh”, since I did some due diligence and the reviews were awful. Ignored warning #1. I communicated my concerns with his choice and asked Bill to find another shop. He finally found a place in Wilmington, 2 hours away and they had overwhelmingly positive reviews. Although a bit far to go, I figured it would be an excuse to take out the Black Beast and set a date for 1/29.

I communicated with Bill and the local shop that I had to be back in Raleigh by 5PM and asked how long the tune and pulley swap would take. Both said 4-6 hours so we agreed to meet at 8:30AM to give us enough time. I confirmed repeatedly with Bill that he would be available at 9AM, giving us some time to get the car strapped down and ready. I understood this was asking him to be awake and functioning at 6AM Cali time but he agreed. The plan was to ship the programming slave and laptop from Maryland (Unhingd?) direct to the Dyno shop and have it arrive well in advance of the 29th. The pulley was to ship from vMax and go direct to the shop as well.

Through no fault of vMax, a winter storm hits the East Coast and the programming unit does not arrive until the day before, but all is still good. I arrive at the Dyno shop at 8:30AM on the 29th and help them strap down the car. After talking to the owner, I am very comfortable with his equipment and capabilities. I leave for a round of golf with my father and think all is going well. I talk to the Dyno shop after lunch and hear that there are problems so we quit early and head back. Upon arriving at the shop, I discover that he could not get in touch with Bill until 10:30 so 90 minutes wasted. I then learn that the first tune actually made my car worse! There was a slight hp loss through the low and mid rpm range and a 25 hp gain at the upper-upper end. Bill reassured us that this was not unusual and he would keep working to tweak the program and improve the results. I also found out that the pulley was not delivered.

While I was present, we received another program, downloaded it and received a slight improvement but still less hp throughout most of the curve. Seeing that it was now 2PM with no pulley, I knew I would have to come back. We called/emailed Bill and told him that I wanted to reflash the ECU back to the original program and come back at another time to do the tune and pulley swap. He said sure, sent the old program back and said he would be in touch to reschedule and figure out what happened to the pulley. We tried to download the old program and could not because there was some sort of password protection and Bill gave us the wrong one. We tried desperately to contact him to get the proper password but he was unresponsive and unavailable by phone and email. Finally, after waiting until 3:45PM, I left with the weak vMax tune and left a message for Bill expressing my displeasure and frustration.

I finally actually spoke to Bill at 6PM that day and was told the pulley was lost by FedEx. He also reassured me that they could identify the problems and provide a good tune and that the current tune was safe to drive. He said they would ship another pulley directly to me and to let him know when Dyno time was available to schedule another session. He asked me to send the programming unit to San Jose as they had another tune scheduled and needed it there. He promised they would ship it back to me in time for my tuning session. I wondered why they only had one (Ignored Warning #2) but, somewhat mollified, I agreed to try again and instructed the Dyno shop to direct-ship the programmer to San Jose. After speaking to the Dyno shop on 1/30, we set the next session for 2/11 at 10AM. I communicated this to Bill via email and received a positive confirmation.

Over the next week, we spoke via email several times to confirm the programming box would be back in plenty of time and that I had received the pulley (yes, on 2/3). Then, on 2/4, I received an email stating that the Super Bowl was delaying delivery to San Jose by a couple of days and that they would do the San Jose tune on the 9th and overnight it to my Dyno shop to arrive the 10th. Ignored Warning #3 as who honestly believes that FedEx would delay deliveries due to the Super Bowl? Needless to say, I am now quite anxious and stay in close contact to make sure the box will be delivered on the 10th in advance of my trip. As late as 11AM on 2/9, Bill’s response to my question of still looking good for delivery on the 10th was “That’s still the plan. Will keep you posted if anything changes.” And that was the last time I received any communication from vMax.

On the 10th, I stayed in contact with the Dyno shop and no box up through 5PM. I emailed Bill twice on the 10th and left a message (you never get a person but always have to leave a voicemail) with no response. I had no choice but to cancel the 2/11 trip to the Dyno shop. I received an email from the Dyno shop on the 11th that the box arrived that morning but he too had not heard anything from vMax. I told him to hold the box until I authorized a release back to vMax. I then emailed Bill and told him I had no confidence in them whatsoever, wanted a refund and would pursue all legal avenues available. Of course, no response.

So, that puts me in the current situation: I spent almost $1,200 with vMax and have a crap tune and a pulley (who knows if it is worth anything). I also spent $300 for Dyno runs (they took pity on me and charged me the bare minimum). On the plus side, I am sitting on vMax’s programming slave and laptop but they apparently don’t care and would rather keep my money. I will also probably have to go to Jaguar and try to get a reflash back to the original program or suffer with the one from vMax. I have been around the block enough times to understand mistakes happen and things don’t always work out on the first attempt. However, ignoring the customer and stealing their money is inexcusable.

The moral of this story is very simple – if something sounds too good to be true, it is. And, do not ignore the warning signs in a blind desire to improve upon perfection. Others on this forum questioned vMax and I thought they were idiots for doing so. It turns out they were right and I am the idiot. I was a sucker and fell for the vMax pitch. Don’t be like me and fall for their spiel. I don’t know what happened to make my experience so different from the others who used vMax but caveat emptor. Don’t walk, but run away from these charlatans.

The following 12 users liked this post by Robgodius:
Arne (02-15-2016), deltagroup (02-15-2016), Dremorg (02-14-2016), DuhCar (02-15-2016), Foosh (02-15-2016), Jaronstoys (02-16-2016), jm717 (02-20-2016), Kjamo (02-16-2016), paddyh (02-21-2016), RawwR (02-15-2016), schraderade (07-18-2016), UBI (02-15-2016) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-14-2016, 08:29 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Robgodius
This post is a bit long, but PLEASE read through to the end before deciding on a tune, especially by vMax.

I took delivery of my MY 2016 R Coupe on November 6th of last year. The car was perfect and did not need anything. Unfortunately, I saw the gains from the early vMax tunes and I was tempted to mess with a good thing. I contacted Bill Jones of vMax via PM and had a few good conversations. I told him I was interested but had two concerns. The first was to see more results from other guinea pigs and, being from Raleigh, North Carolina, finding someone locally to do the tune and pulley swap. He reassured me there was no danger to the car and that, when the time came, he would help me find someone local to do the work.

I continued to monitor the forums and saw several other people post impressive tune results. I could not leave well enough alone and told Bill I would like to proceed and needed his help finding a shop. He found a place in Raleigh, probably just by Googling “Dyno in Raleigh”, since I did some due diligence and the reviews were awful. Ignored warning #1. I communicated my concerns with his choice and asked Bill to find another shop. He finally found a place in Wilmington, 2 hours away and they had overwhelmingly positive reviews. Although a bit far to go, I figured it would be an excuse to take out the Black Beast and set a date for 1/29.

I communicated with Bill and the local shop that I had to be back in Raleigh by 5PM and asked how long the tune and pulley swap would take. Both said 4-6 hours so we agreed to meet at 8:30AM to give us enough time. I confirmed repeatedly with Bill that he would be available at 9AM, giving us some time to get the car strapped down and ready. I understood this was asking him to be awake and functioning at 6AM Cali time but he agreed. The plan was to ship the programming slave and laptop from Maryland (Unhingd?) direct to the Dyno shop and have it arrive well in advance of the 29th. The pulley was to ship from vMax and go direct to the shop as well.

Through no fault of vMax, a winter storm hits the East Coast and the programming unit does not arrive until the day before, but all is still good. I arrive at the Dyno shop at 8:30AM on the 29th and help them strap down the car. After talking to the owner, I am very comfortable with his equipment and capabilities. I leave for a round of golf with my father and think all is going well. I talk to the Dyno shop after lunch and hear that there are problems so we quit early and head back. Upon arriving at the shop, I discover that he could not get in touch with Bill until 10:30 so 90 minutes wasted. I then learn that the first tune actually made my car worse! There was a slight hp loss through the low and mid rpm range and a 25 hp gain at the upper-upper end. Bill reassured us that this was not unusual and he would keep working to tweak the program and improve the results. I also found out that the pulley was not delivered.

While I was present, we received another program, downloaded it and received a slight improvement but still less hp throughout most of the curve. Seeing that it was now 2PM with no pulley, I knew I would have to come back. We called/emailed Bill and told him that I wanted to reflash the ECU back to the original program and come back at another time to do the tune and pulley swap. He said sure, sent the old program back and said he would be in touch to reschedule and figure out what happened to the pulley. We tried to download the old program and could not because there was some sort of password protection and Bill gave us the wrong one. We tried desperately to contact him to get the proper password but he was unresponsive and unavailable by phone and email. Finally, after waiting until 3:45PM, I left with the weak vMax tune and left a message for Bill expressing my displeasure and frustration.

I finally actually spoke to Bill at 6PM that day and was told the pulley was lost by FedEx. He also reassured me that they could identify the problems and provide a good tune and that the current tune was safe to drive. He said they would ship another pulley directly to me and to let him know when Dyno time was available to schedule another session. He asked me to send the programming unit to San Jose as they had another tune scheduled and needed it there. He promised they would ship it back to me in time for my tuning session. I wondered why they only had one (Ignored Warning #2) but, somewhat mollified, I agreed to try again and instructed the Dyno shop to direct-ship the programmer to San Jose. After speaking to the Dyno shop on 1/30, we set the next session for 2/11 at 10AM. I communicated this to Bill via email and received a positive confirmation.

Over the next week, we spoke via email several times to confirm the programming box would be back in plenty of time and that I had received the pulley (yes, on 2/3). Then, on 2/4, I received an email stating that the Super Bowl was delaying delivery to San Jose by a couple of days and that they would do the San Jose tune on the 9th and overnight it to my Dyno shop to arrive the 10th. Ignored Warning #3 as who honestly believes that FedEx would delay deliveries due to the Super Bowl? Needless to say, I am now quite anxious and stay in close contact to make sure the box will be delivered on the 10th in advance of my trip. As late as 11AM on 2/9, Bill’s response to my question of still looking good for delivery on the 10th was “That’s still the plan. Will keep you posted if anything changes.” And that was the last time I received any communication from vMax.

On the 10th, I stayed in contact with the Dyno shop and no box up through 5PM. I emailed Bill twice on the 10th and left a message (you never get a person but always have to leave a voicemail) with no response. I had no choice but to cancel the 2/11 trip to the Dyno shop. I received an email from the Dyno shop on the 11th that the box arrived that morning but he too had not heard anything from vMax. I told him to hold the box until I authorized a release back to vMax. I then emailed Bill and told him I had no confidence in them whatsoever, wanted a refund and would pursue all legal avenues available. Of course, no response.

So, that puts me in the current situation: I spent almost $1,200 with vMax and have a crap tune and a pulley (who knows if it is worth anything). I also spent $300 for Dyno runs (they took pity on me and charged me the bare minimum). On the plus side, I am sitting on vMax’s programming slave and laptop but they apparently don’t care and would rather keep my money. I will also probably have to go to Jaguar and try to get a reflash back to the original program or suffer with the one from vMax. I have been around the block enough times to understand mistakes happen and things don’t always work out on the first attempt. However, ignoring the customer and stealing their money is inexcusable.

The moral of this story is very simple – if something sounds too good to be true, it is. And, do not ignore the warning signs in a blind desire to improve upon perfection. Others on this forum questioned vMax and I thought they were idiots for doing so. It turns out they were right and I am the idiot. I was a sucker and fell for the vMax pitch. Don’t be like me and fall for their spiel. I don’t know what happened to make my experience so different from the others who used vMax but caveat emptor. Don’t walk, but run away from these charlatans.
so sorry to hear about that experience. just reading it I could imagine your frustration. and thank you for taking the time out to share it with the rest of us.
was contemplating a tune for my V6S and will be sure to stay away from these guys. hope you find a resolution for your (already perfect) R.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Sorry to hear about your troubles with VMax. What you experienced is the exact opposite of what I found working with Bill. He had an issue with the first tune he did for me, but quickly dialed in to an outstanding flash that is still thrilling the heck out of me. I'll be surprised and very disappointed in him if he doesn't make this good for you. I fully understand your frustration and will hold on recommending him to others until he takes proper care of your issue. Please keep us posted.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:08 PM
Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Sorry to hear about your troubles with VMax. What you experienced is the exact opposite of what I found working with Bill. He had an issue with the first tune he did for me, but quickly dialed in to an outstanding flash that is still thrilling the heck out of me. I'll be surprised and very disappointed in him if he doesn't make this good for you. I fully understand your frustration and will hold on recommending him to others until he takes proper care of your issue. Please keep us posted.
Yes, I too had high expectations. I have delayed this post with the forlorn hope that they would eventually reply but seeing that other folks were considering their tune, I felt like my story needed telling. I hoped to resolve the issue but the total absence of communication and response has left me with zero confidence in them fixing the problem. Even if they offered to restore the old program, I would say no as I have less than zero trust in it being done properly, especially after this revelation. Now it is just a question of trading my money for their programming slave and computer but I don't ever expect this forum will hear from them again. Maybe that is a good thing for everyone else. If anyone has advice on how to go about getting the dealer to do a default reflash, I am all ears.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (02-14-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Wow . . . I'm sorry. I had major doubts initially, but was finally beginning to trust.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:16 PM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

Old 02-14-2016, 11:29 PM
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I was going to ship my ecu to bill from the middle east as soon as he was going eventually to reply to my emails, I appreciate your post and im sorry for what happened to you..

Old 02-14-2016, 11:32 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Sorry to hear. No doubt he had his phone stolen on 2/10 etc etc.

Seriously though, the ACTUAL canned history is :

A) jamesjaguar, a new member with no posts shows up 11/24 with glowing review of completely unknown Vmax tune, makes posts over a 10 day period on that subject only, and then no longer makes any posts and disappears on 12/04

B) Shortly after jamesjaguar results posted, some guy (Vmax) hitherto completely unknown, but by admission has no shop etc, shows up on the forum selling tunes and pulleys at $1200 a pop, citing jamesjaguar results.

C) People go for it.

D) Some (1,2 or 3) results seem ok.

Objectively, Vmax appears to be 'a guy with a laptop and a OBD interface' and a tune of some sort.

Caveat emptor!

Last edited by mshedden; 02-14-2016 at 11:54 PM.
frank james (02-16-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 11:55 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Not to play devil's advocate, but as a potential customer of a tune in the short term future, is Vmax (who was seemingly touted on here) not worthy, then do we really know about any other tuners efficacy (i.e. Rica, Eurotoys, etc)? I have been going back and forth with the idea of doing a tune. I do not want to have more risk vs reward though, since my F-type is for the street, no the drag strip or track.
I the safer alternative to simply: 1. Have the ECU adapt naturally once the sport cats are on and leave it at that. 2. Install the high priced Eventuri air intakes in addition to adding the sport cats, or 3. Keep spending more time than I should on this forum reading posts and keep changing my mind?

Old 02-15-2016, 12:07 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by doctordeuce
Not to play devil's advocate, but as a potential customer of a tune in the short term future, is Vmax (who was seemingly touted on here) not worthy, then do we really know about any other tuners efficacy (i.e. Rica, Eurotoys, etc)? I have been going back and forth with the idea of doing a tune. I do not want to have more risk vs reward though, since my F-type is for the street, no the drag strip or track.
I the safer alternative to simply: 1. Have the ECU adapt naturally once the sport cats are on and leave it at that. 2. Install the high priced Eventuri air intakes in addition to adding the sport cats, or 3. Keep spending more time than I should on this forum reading posts and keep changing my mind?
Don't know, however VelocityAP are gearing up F-type tunes according to a recent post, have history on this forum, seem to produce excellent quality hardware for several performance cars, (including AM) from what I've seen (on the forum, not in person), and (get this) carry $2,000,000 insurance on their tunes for engine damage etc according to their website. Sounds less risky than a shot in the dark to me. I have not dealt with them however.

Have to say the $$$ CF intake sounds dubious to me!!

Old 02-15-2016, 12:17 AM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 15 r and also been following all the vmax postings and really wanted to get a tune done. After reading all the risks and situations I think I'll be happy with what I have. Also by chance if something happens to engine I do not want to put my extended warranty I paid for at risk. Appreciate the post probly saved me potential problems in future.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:41 AM
Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I sure would like to hear the other side of this story, especially because my car (2016 R) is running their tune as well. My experience thus far has not been perfect, but they have followed through on their promises. I just find it hard to believe that you would be treated this way. It's a bummer to be in limbo, so I hope that their is an honest explanation for this. What I can say, is that I have never been asked to leave a deposit when talking about buying future products (like the headers) or asked to pay without trying the product first. I'm eager to hear from Vmax on this issue. Bill, what do you have to say?

Old 02-15-2016, 06:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Robgodius,
Let's see what we can do to get your stock tune back on. PM sent.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:44 AM
Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by santacruzmg
I have a 15 r and also been following all the vmax postings and really wanted to get a tune done. After reading all the risks and situations I think I'll be happy with what I have. Also by chance if something happens to engine I do not want to put my extended warranty I paid for at risk. Appreciate the post probly saved me potential problems in future.
+1

Old 02-15-2016, 09:00 AM
BMo
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Man what a major drag! Performing research on both the product and the company are very important as evidenced here. Very sorry for your frustrations!

Old 02-15-2016, 09:13 AM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

This is what happens when you take a car made by world class European engineers and have some second rate techs who can't get a proper job mess with it.

If the people at vmax had any skill they would be working for a car manufacturer or for someone like Henessy,

drbill (02-15-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 10:14 AM
Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts

VelocityAP has a tune already. $837 for 20hp & 24 ft lbs.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:29 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
This is what happens when you take a car made by world class European engineers and have some second rate techs who can't get a proper job mess with it.

If the people at vmax had any skill they would be working for a car manufacturer or for someone like Henessy,

So you know, we are sending a laptop to Hennesey this week for us to program a couple of their Jags. I am sure they tune all of the domestic makes, but most shops do not do Jags.

Mike

JgaXkr (02-17-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Dremorg
VelocityAP has a tune already. $837 for 20hp & 24 ft lbs.
Thanks, and that's good to know, but if I were to consider putting my engine warranty in jeopardy, 20HP wouldn't be sufficient incentive.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:26 AM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Well what's interesting to is that Hennessy charges close to 10 k for R ecu tune, pulley and innercooler. Most other tuners I see go from 1500-2000. Why is there such a big gap in cost. I know with Hennessy you get the name and the warranty. Why is there such a huge cost difference?