F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stay away from vMax - They ripped me off!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 05:07 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
LOL. I live about 3 miles from that address. Its a PO Box at a shipping store in the Carl's Jr shopping center.

All joking aside, curious to see what VMAX says.
You might have the wrong center, don't believe a Carls Jr. is located there.
Ruth's Chris Steak House, Houston's Grille, Sport Chalet, Mothers Market, on the Irvine land originally occupied by the So.Cal. corporate hub for global engineering conglomerate: Fluor Corp.

But you are correct, the address is an Express Mailbox annex as I first exposed on this forum when I challenged Bill pretty firmly on his credibility.
Glad I dragged my feet on engaging his services cause it appears my sixth sense intuition and preliminary "fly-by-night" label were right on the mark after all.

BTW: We can't live more than 10 minutes apart, need to get together/organize a drive someday.

The following users liked this post:
thatdude714 (02-16-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by deltagroup
Didn't intend my post as definitions, Foosh, just a few general thoughts on tuners. I hesitated to comment, but figured if it helped someone researching a tune, so be it.
I understand and don't disagree w/ anything you said. My point was that anyone researching an F-Type tune based upon available data would have reasonably concluded that VMax was the best choice. However, that had more to do with the fact that no one else was either willing or able to post any pertinent F-Type data here.

I contacted several other tuners asking for info, and none were willing to provide anything substantive. It was always, "everyone we've tuned, has been very happy," or something to that effect.

While I was impressed with what I saw from VMax based upon extensive data posted by Unhingd, who I know and trust, I still wasn't willing to take the chance.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-15-2016 at 05:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
deltagroup (02-15-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 05:33 PM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Odd they haven't responded considering they've been on here today....

Attached Thumbnails Stay away from vMax - They ripped me off!!!-image.png  
Old 02-15-2016, 05:43 PM
Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by phillyweb
Odd they haven't responded considering they've been on here today....
also deleted the link to this post on facebook just hours ago.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:53 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike
BTW: We can't live more than 10 minutes apart, need to get together/organize a drive someday.
I organized one at the end of last year. Will do another probably early spring. Need to get more SoCal F-type owners on board. We had 6 last time. March 5th has a drive with Socal Scenic Drive club which I'm also apart of. That would be a good one for a few of us to show up at.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:05 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by RawwR
also deleted the link to this post on facebook just hours ago.
That pretty much puts the tin hat on it.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mshedden
That pretty much puts the tin hat on it.
Sad, but true.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
While I was impressed with what I saw from VMax based upon extensive data posted by Unhingd, who I know and trust, I still wasn't willing to take the chance.
Foosh, thank you for your trust. This whole thing makes me so very glad that I relied on my local tuner (of 12+years) to keep a copy of the OEM tune and to monitor the data that was coming off the dyno and sniffers. I now consider myself very lucky to have received the tune that I did. However, luck is not a good strategy for tuning a car.

I may be a bit of a Pollyanna, but I'm still holding out hope that VMax does right by robgodius.

Last edited by Unhingd; 02-15-2016 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I ordered a pulley for my f type from bill and received it late but quality is good on the part sold. I think bill may just be in way over his head with sudden demand as many people are inquiring about their products. I'd wait to hear from him before saying he ripped anyone off.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:30 PM
Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Liamgo
I ordered a pulley for my f type from bill and received it late but quality is good on the part sold. I think bill may just be in way over his head with sudden demand as many people are inquiring about their products. I'd wait to hear from him before saying he ripped anyone off.
When someone is unavailable during a tune, sends an inaccessible OEM program, is completely unresponsive prior to the next tune his negligence necessitated, does not answer repeated emails and calls, does not reply to a thread on a forum he has obviously seen, it is a bit more than over his head. A legitimate business would never have let the situation devolve to the necessity of my post, would have worked with me to recover the situation and then would have responded to "explain". I have been waiting for 6 days to hear from him. What do you consider a long enough time period to wait before feeling I was ripped off? One day is too much for a professional organization, much less 6 days!! He will most likely NEVER respond because what he has done is indefensible.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Foosh, thank you for your trust. This whole thing makes me so very glad that I relied on my local tuner (of 12+years) to keep a copy of the OEM tune and to monitor the data that was coming off the dyno and sniffers. I now consider myself very lucky to have received the tune that I did. However, luck is not a good strategy for tuning a car.

I may be a bit of a Pollyanna, but I'm still holding out hope that VMax does right by robgodius.
You went about it the right way and were fortunate to have established a long-standing relationship with a local tuner and dyno shop with a solid reputation. What I found most interesting about your experience is that before you got involved w/ VMax you and your tuner were very methodical in exploring the safe way to extract more power. The results appeared very safe, but less than awe-inspiring.

You then starting working w/ Bill and the combination of his knowledge along w/ your tuner's produced a very impressive result. It seems to me that Bill certainly has the skill and knowledge, but perhaps the problem is that he over-extended and wasn't quite ready for prime-time.

For those interested in looking at data, there is a wealth of knowledge in the link below, far more than I've seen anywhere else. It's lengthy and will take some time to digest, but well worth it for anyone interested in doing research on F-Type tuning.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-153046/page2/

Last edited by Foosh; 02-15-2016 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:43 PM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
You sound like a guy who works for a two bit mom and pop shop!
You sound like a guy who doesn't know anything about the early days of Hennessy. Google it. As for lingenfelter, my criticism is not with their work but with their prices. Outrageous. To each their own though.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:52 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Robgodius
When someone is unavailable during a tune, sends an inaccessible OEM program, is completely unresponsive prior to the next tune his negligence necessitated, does not answer repeated emails and calls, does not reply to a thread on a forum he has obviously seen, it is a bit more than over his head. A legitimate business would never have let the situation devolve to the necessity of my post, would have worked with me to recover the situation and then would have responded to "explain". I have been waiting for 6 days to hear from him. What do you consider a long enough time period to wait before feeling I was ripped off? One day is too much for a professional organization, much less 6 days!! He will most likely NEVER respond because what he has done is indefensible.
6 days? You must not have much experience dealing with aftermarket performance shops. Vmax should reimburse you for your dyno time wasted but you can't compare these kind of shops to your "everyday organizations". I've had many builds and tunes done that took up to months to finish and took even more down time and no responses from the tuner because you're not their only customer. I'd wait to see what VMax ends up doing by the end of the month before saying he's ripping you off.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:08 PM
Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Liamgo
6 days? You must not have much experience dealing with aftermarket performance shops. Vmax should reimburse you for your dyno time wasted but you can't compare these kind of shops to your "everyday organizations". I've had many builds and tunes done that took up to months to finish and took even more down time and no responses from the tuner because you're not their only customer. I'd wait to see what VMax ends up doing by the end of the month before saying he's ripping you off.
You are correct in that I do not have a great deal of experience in the aftermarket tuning industry but I do have quite a bit in the race performance and engine building market and never did I have someone disappear prior to or during an appointment or refuse to communicate after problems developed. If it is the norm in the tuner world to wait months to see good service and resolve issues, then I am more of an idiot than I thought for getting involved in such a shady field.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:45 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Ripped off

I am very upset at this point I have been trying to get a hold of him and was supposed to send out my computer tomorrow but of course he has been avoiding my calls and emails but he also has my money I have started a claim with PayPal this is very unacceptable and I expect my money back immediately to the guy on the other post saying he has waited a month to get a tune is absolutely crazy I have been in the car

Old 02-15-2016, 09:48 PM

I was cut off on my other post I have been in the car world for a long time and have tuned almost all of my cars and I can tell you not once have I ever waited a month for a tune it's not rocket science you either understand how to tune core and have the proper equipment or you don't that simple I have seen 2000 hp cars tuned in a few hours

Old 02-15-2016, 09:56 PM

Now there site is down !!!!

Old 02-15-2016, 09:57 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

No excuse for not answering e mails or returning phone calls but I had v max do a bench tune on my 2015 f type r a week ago and the results are amazing !!!!

Old 02-15-2016, 09:59 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
This is what happens when you take a car made by world class European engineers and have some second rate techs who can't get a proper job mess with it.

If the people at vmax had any skill they would be working for a car manufacturer or for someone like Henessy,
+1. Well stated. Brutally honest.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by frank james
No excuse for not answering e mails or returning phone calls but I had v max do a bench tune on my 2015 f type r a week ago and the results are amazing !!!!
Did you dyno the car ?