F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stay away from vMax - They ripped me off!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 01:52 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

My car is a base not a S this is my post car number I will post the new members after the computer is back Thursday
/user/JaronsToy/media/2BBB51CA-CA92-429F-AD74-D64798410CF1_zpsfc3g3eww.png.html][/URL]

Last edited by Jaronstoys; 02-16-2016 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Robgodius
Maybe this is what I am missing, but how do I go to the dealer and ask for an OEM reflash without giving a reason such as my car is F***ed up because my tune was ineffective? Not being facitious but can I just go to my dealer and say, "hey, reflash me and don't ask why"?
Just talked to my dealer they would do it for free or the would charge you a hour of Labor to do it which sounds better than driving that far hope this helps you
I think it's better if you just drive over a lot of the guys are cool and very understanding

Old 02-16-2016, 01:59 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

I think one of us must be speaking Chinese. I have no intention of avoiding the dealership for service and went into the tune with eyes wide open regarding the warranty concerns. My main points are 1) rather not advertise the fact it was tuned and potentially set off some alarms and 2) I know the OEM tune is reliable but I have lost confidence in a vMax tune and am leaning strongly towards opting for the safe course of action. Hopefully this clarifies my position why I am leaning towards just OEM vs. a tune, even if it was free.
Your #1 concern at this point is moot. The horse is already out of the barn. The alarm has already been triggered. At this point, if you have a catastrophic engine failure. You are toast as far as a warranty claim is concerned

Old 02-16-2016, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Maybe this is what I am missing, but how do I go to the dealer and ask for an OEM reflash without giving a reason such as my car is F***ed up because my tune was ineffective? Not being facitious but can I just go to my dealer and say, "hey, reflash me and don't ask why"?
If you have a previous relationship w/ a dealer, I'd just walk in and be honest. The cost of a reflash is nil. Should a warranty issue come up in the future, the fact that you quickly restored to stock at the dealer could work in your favor.

As I said, they're going to find it at some point anyway.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:17 PM
Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike
Your #1 concern at this point is moot. The horse is already out of the barn. The alarm has already been triggered. At this point, if you have a catastrophic engine failure. You are toast as far as a warranty claim is concerned
Perhaps I can better explain my reasoning as to why I do not want to go to my dealer and tell why I want an OEM flash by quoting Mark Twain: "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

Old 02-16-2016, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

If you are set on returning to the OEM tune, I am certain that VMax will make that happen for you at no cost with a full refund. But as others have suggested, the warranty cat is already out of the bag. Why not give VMax a shot at wowing you as he has me? If not satisfied, he'll put you back on an OEM tune with your money back.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
If you are set on returning to the OEM tune, I am certain that VMax will make that happen for you at no cost with a full refund. But as others have suggested, the warranty cat is already out of the bag. Why not give VMax a shot at wowing you as he has me? If not satisfied, he'll put you back on an OEM tune with your money back.
That will certainly be a topic of conversation when Bill calls me but I will need some convincing to deviate from the OEM path. Again, don't want to waste time and money chasing an illusion, especially given the 2 prior failed attempts. However, if my mind is changed AND the tune turns out to be good, then I would not ask for a full refund, or maybe none at all. Having spent over $100k on the car, the $1,200 for the tune is secondary to being comfortable that whatever tune, OEM or vMAX, will be safe. I would not feel right having a service performed properly and getting it for free, regardless of the mess getting there.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:59 PM

That will certainly be a topic of conversation when Bill calls me but I will need some convincing to deviate from the OEM path. Again, don't want to waste time and money chasing an illusion, especially given the 2 prior failed attempts. However, if my mind is changed AND the tune turns out to be good, then I would not ask for a full refund, or maybe none at all. Having spent over $100k on the car, the $1,200 for the tune is secondary to being comfortable that whatever tune, OEM or vMAX, will be safe. I would not feel right having a service performed properly and getting it for free, regardless of the mess getting there.
Well I feel for you if you want to wait till my computer is back from him I just sent it fedex and will be back Thursday and I'll let you know how things turned out I'm Jaron feel free to call me I'll pm you my number

Old 02-16-2016, 03:25 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Speaking from personal experience, I can relate to the gravity of handling a family emergency, especially if it's medically related. It's very easy to point out ways the situation could have been handled differently, but honestly, why choose to perseverate and dwell when we can focus on making things right and moving on?

We don't know the circumstance of what happened and we shouldn't assume or judge. One of my businesses tends to medical emergencies. However, when my father was admitted to the hospital for a potential stroke, all of my clients had to wait while I drove 112 miles to the hospital (in 57 minutes BTW) and spent the next week tending to him. There is no way in hell if the unthinkable happened, that I wouldn't be around for one last conversation. Medical emergencies can vary widely, and in fact, how do we know that Bill or his kid wasn't diagnosed with cancer?

Old 02-16-2016, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaronstoys
I am very upset at this point I have been trying to get a hold of him and was supposed to send out my computer tomorrow but of course he has been avoiding my calls and emails but he also has my money I have started a claim with PayPal this is very unacceptable and I expect my money back immediately to the guy on the other post saying he has waited a month to get a tune is absolutely crazy I have been in the car
Reading a paragraph completely devoid of punctuation must be the literary equivalent of what driving a tuned F-Type feels like.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Nati
Reading a paragraph completely devoid of punctuation must be the literary equivalent of what driving a tuned F-Type feels like.
Sorry I was using my talk and type on my phone.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaronstoys
Sorry I was using my talk and type on my phone.
hint of the day: you can say "period" and "comma" to punctuate.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:19 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
hint of the day: you can say "period" and "comma" to punctuate.

Add: new line, new paragraph, question mark, exclamation point, open paren, close paren, begin quote, end quote,... I'm sure there is more.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:20 PM

Hopefully bringing some closure to this sad story. Bill called me earlier this evening and proposed the following solution: 1) They would provide a full refund (it was posted to my Paypal account 45 minutes ago). 2) They would arrange to ship the slave and laptop from the Dyno shop in Wilmington to my home at their expense. 3) Bill would then walk me through the reflash back to OEM and I would then return their box. 4) He told me to keep the pulley, even after I offered to return it with the box when done.

He also apologized profusely for the whole mess. I hope he takes care of the rest of their customers and vMax learns a valuable lesson in customer care. I honestly hope they fix their issues and become very successful tuning our cars but I will just enjoy my car the way Ian and co. intended. Thank you all for your insights, I-told-you-so's, criticisms and offers to help. If anyone sees an R with NC plate BDASCAT, wave and laugh.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:26 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Gentlemen,

Quick update for the thread and forum. Robgodius and one other customer (everyone that asked for a refund) has been refunded in full. We are shipping our slave/laptop from the shop Rob used to Rob's home so we can walk him through putting a stock tune back on the vehicle asap and with as little additional delay as possible.

Two sales employees that were tasked to handle our direct customer sales in my absence were fired today. I/We accept full responsibility for the lack of communication spanning back to last Thursday am, no excuses, and have already changed protocols to ensure that in case another such situation occurs, no such issues will arise.

I believe Jaron started his own thread regarding us benchflashing his RWD V6 F Type ECU tomorrow which will include post tune and pulley dyno numbers on Thursday. We look forward to his results and bank on the data generated by the dozens of forum members we are blessed to call customers as a backstop to anyone that would question our remapping ability.

Thank you for the opportunity you have given us and we look forward to furthering the positive relationship we have with so many forum members to date. On a personal note thank you to all that PM'd, emailed, and called with kind words and thoughts--they are immensely appreciated and will not be forgotten.

ps--We've heard stories of a certain tuner offering free remapping to members of this forum in response to this thread. FWIW, when you pay for a tune you're paying for the knowledge and experience of the tuner in question. There's no such thing as free quality IP. I'll close with this final fact: The last forum member's ECU we redid with one of said tuner's remaps actually turned out to be a stock file, with stock "post tune" performance numbers to back it up.

Thank You
VMax

Old 02-16-2016, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 171 Posts

This would be a good time for a mod to end and lock this thread.

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (02-16-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

For those of you not familiar with me I'm on the XF forum all the time and have been for the 2 1/2 years I've had my XFR. I documented my success of finding a reputable local tuner (Jailbreak Tuning), verifying their reputation personally, and having a custom tune done for my car.

It's been about 2 years and I've always been satisfied with their communication and their tune, even now when I have questions. I've done the dyno testing to back up what it can do and it's impressive. The only bad thing to come out of this is that in the quest to prove how fast it really is, I sheared a half-shaft (in the middle, clean break) at the strip.

I have an aftermarket warranty and my dealer worked on the adjuster/inspector to get it done under warranty. They saw the intake, they saw the pulley, and the one thing they saw was a service note that I had a tune and to not reflash the computer on a service ticket. They didn't check for anything else. Still went through. If it had been a factory warranty I'm not sure how that would have gone, but these things can be worked out if you have a good dealer. So that's a really good reason to have the dealer do it if you go back to OEM and definitely worth one hour of labor.

If anyone is interested in a good 5.0 supercharged tune and is in SoCal, let me know and I'll get you their number. I wouldn't feel right about recommending them for an F-Type remotely (which they can do and have done for my best friend in VA for his XF SC) since they haven't tuned one that I'm aware of. I don't know if any parameters on that engine are different than in the XF Supercharged and XFR...would seriously doubt if there are. But they can do a custom tune for someone local, verify the stock F-Type R and XFR tunes are the same, dyno before and after to verify gains. Then it would be available remotely. If you have a V6 or V6S, I'm sure they would be willing to tune for you as well.

I know there are at least 3 of these tunes and all are performing flawlessly. I know that is a small sample size, but they don't actively market the Jaguar tune. They focus more on BMW, Mercedes and Porsche because those owners are much more likely to tune than Jaguar owners.

I don't work for them, or receive any financial benefit from this recommendation, but I believe in the work they perform and have been rewarded with a transformed vehicle because of their work. I absolutely love it!

And I'd be interested in joining up with the F-Type guys for a drive if you keep me in the loop on future events.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:49 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Agreed. I think it's played out far enough.

EDIT

If you have a problem with this, you're more than welcome to PM me.

Last edited by Cambo; 02-16-2016 at 06:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
sinner (02-17-2016), Unhingd (02-16-2016)