Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 11:18 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Steering

Hello together,
Special question! Does our cat have speed-dependent servo steering? Even in dynamic mode, I find the steering a bit spongy generelland and compared to the Porsche 911/997.2 much more, and this is particularly noticeable after driving one or the other for a long time. Do you assume that, similar to the transmission or engine, you can't do anything electronically?
Thank you for all answers...
Andi

Old 02-19-2022, 11:47 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

FYI, at some point (2016-2017?), Jag switched from hydraulic-assisted steering to electric-assist. That's all I know about it.
Thoughts on new electric vs hydraulic steering assist - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Old 02-19-2022, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by DJS
FYI, at some point (2016-2017?), Jag switched from hydraulic-assisted steering to electric-assist. That's all I know about it.
Thoughts on new electric vs hydraulic steering assist - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
I have MY2017🙄 I don't know have I this new one?

Old 02-19-2022, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Andi Jaguar G
I have MY2017🙄 I don't know have I this new one?
If you have a power steering reservoir (black cap) at the left-front of the engine bay, your power steering is hydraulic.

If you don't, you have electric assist.

Old 02-19-2022, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
If you have a power steering reservoir (black cap) at the left-front of the engine bay, your power steering is hydraulic.

THX I will check this...

Old 02-19-2022, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Hello together,
Special question! Does our cat have speed-dependent servo steering? Even in dynamic mode, I find the steering a bit spongy generelland and compared to the Porsche 911/997.2 much more, and this is particularly noticeable after driving one or the other for a long time. Do you assume that, similar to the transmission or engine, you can't do anything electronically?
Thank you for all answers...
Andi
If you have the Electric (and not Hydraulic) Steering, which you likely do, it is speed and other input dependent. See Below additional Info:

The vehicle is fitted with electric power steering, provided by a ZF Servolectric® steering gear unit with variable ratio, rack and pinion steering and speed sensitive power attached to the steering gear.

The steering gear also incorporates:

A PSCM (Power Steering Control Module), on the end of the electric motor
A reduction gear
A torque sensor on the gear mechanism.

Power assistance is controlled by the PSCM, which uses the electric motor to apply an axial force on the steering gear via the reduction gear. The level of power assistance depends on the position of the wheel and the vehicle speed.

The PSCM also uses the electric motor to provide the following assistance features:

Pull drift compensation
Assistance changes during Eco Stop/Start functions
Assistance reduction if system overheats
Assistance reduction if supply voltage is too low or high
Assistance reduction for system stability optimization
Soft end stops

DC

Last edited by Therock88; 02-19-2022 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-19-2022, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

2016 model year onwards is electric.

The following users liked this post:
Rummy636 (02-21-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 11:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a way to code the electric steering assist to always be at max heavy setting, or even turn it off completely? I know there was a servo fuse on my old Audi S4 that you could pull, and which basically left the steering always at it's heaviest. Anything we can do along those lines?

Old 02-20-2022, 03:51 AM
Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Therock88
If you have the Electric (and not Hydraulic) Steering, which you likely do, it is speed and other input dependent. See Below additional Info:

The vehicle is fitted with electric power steering, provided by a ZF Servolectric® steering gear unit with variable ratio, rack and pinion steering and speed sensitive power attached to the steering gear.

The steering gear also incorporates:

A PSCM (Power Steering Control Module), on the end of the electric motor
A reduction gear
A torque sensor on the gear mechanism.

Power assistance is controlled by the PSCM, which uses the electric motor to apply an axial force on the steering gear via the reduction gear. The level of power assistance depends on the position of the wheel and the vehicle speed.

The PSCM also uses the electric motor to provide the following assistance features:

Pull drift compensation
Assistance changes during Eco Stop/Start functions
Assistance reduction if system overheats
Assistance reduction if supply voltage is too low or high
Assistance reduction for system stability optimization
Soft end stops

DC
Hi and thanks this is useful to know. I assume there was also a steering control functionnality for the previous hydraulic set up : with my 2013 v6s, I am not experiencing any situation where the steering is spongy as described by Andi jaguar G above, even if the steering could be slightly more direct! Have a nice day all!

Old 02-20-2022, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Pierremm92
Hi and thanks this is useful to know. I assume there was also a steering control functionnality for the previous hydraulic set up : with my 2013 v6s, I am not experiencing any situation where the steering is spongy as described by Andi jaguar G above, even if the steering could be slightly more direct! Have a nice day all!
I don't know is spongy in englisch the right word! But in a fast curve, the steering is for my feeling very soft and not direct enough. You become a late feedback over the steering, I have not a good feeling and it's not a safe feeling. Not totally bad, but not really good...

Old 02-20-2022, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

I don't know is spongy in englisch the right word! But in a fast curve, the steering is for my feeling very soft and not direct enough. You become a late feedback over the steering, I have not a good feeling and it's not a safe feeling. Not totally bad, but not really good...
In that case, I'd have a shop check the steering LINKAGES or suspension for looseness, play, etc.

Old 02-20-2022, 11:37 AM

In that case, I'd have a shop check the steering LINKAGES or suspension for looseness, play, etc.
I think with this steering is everything good and normally... How different is your steering from D to Dynamic Mode, when the sporty Steering is activated? For me it is I little bit better and little more direct but not really much more better as in D Modus in my view.

Old 02-20-2022, 11:46 AM
Received 424 Likes on 174 Posts

That is precisely the way I would describe the steering in the base model that I sold this past July. I brought my concern to the service department's attention at least twice and they reported that it was normal and not adjustable. I would have preferred that the steering at higher speeds in turns was more firm with better feedback. This particular F-Type was driven exclusively in sport/dynamic mode.

Old 02-20-2022, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by SassySarah
That is precisely the way I would describe the steering in the base model that I sold this past July. I brought my concern to the service department's attention at least twice and they reported that it was normal and not adjustable. I would have preferred that the steering at higher speeds in turns was more firm with better feedback. This particular F-Type was driven exclusively in sport/dynamic mode.
The new F Type R AWD with 575 PS have also a new Steering! In a German Test, following Info...
And the precise steering, which used to have little feedback, is now much more sensitive.
Jaguar have worked on this problem and the new steering is better. I will test this in summer, hope my Jaguar Dealer have an R AWD :-)

Old 02-20-2022, 04:12 PM
Received 424 Likes on 174 Posts

The new F Type R AWD with 575 PS have also a new Steering! In a German Test, following Info...
And the precise steering, which used to have little feedback, is now much more sensitive.
Jaguar have worked on this problem and the new steering is better. I will test this in summer, hope my Jaguar Dealer have an R AWD :-)
My 2022 450HP RWD is due to arrive toward the end of March. I will be pleasantly surprised if the steering feedback and sensitivity have been improved. Thanks for the infor.

Old 02-20-2022, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

I think with this steering is everything good and normally... How different is your steering from D to Dynamic Mode, when the sporty Steering is activated? For me it is I little bit better and little more direct but not really much more better as in D Modus in my view.
The steering is never going to feel as good as a 911. A lot of steering feeling comes from suspension geometry.

Old 02-20-2022, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

lightweight aftermarket forged rims (not the OEM forged as they are super heavy anyway) make a huge difference to the steering feel, especially with quick direction changes, eg coming out of a roundabout. The best money I've spent on the car, by far.

Old 02-21-2022, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mahjik
The steering is never going to feel as good as a 911. A lot of steering feeling comes from suspension geometry.
I am aware of that! A 911 simply steers very precisely and precisely. The whole concept of the F Type was also fundamentally different. It's just a shame that dynamic mode
doesn't simply offer an additional, sportier and more extreme setting option. If you don't want this, you don't have to choose it. But if it does, it would delight all drivers,
including those who want it sportier. The steering is just too soft, even in dynamic mode. Too much play and too spongy in faster passages. Yes, that's scolding on a high
level, but that's the bitter truth. However, the soft steering has already been criticized in many tests. So there must be something to it, it's not just my feeling.

Old 02-21-2022, 01:09 AM

thank you for this important information...You have 21" new wheels on your F-Type?

Old 02-21-2022, 03:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

Plenty of us run 21's. Coupled with decent tyres (I have Michelin PSS's) the ride isnt compromised at all from the 19's and P Zeros, so I guess it would be an improvement on OEM 20s. And the steering is absolutely fantastic, in the RWD 6 at least - you point and off it goes, you can really attack corners with enormous confidence. I've had them on for a few years now, best thing I have done to the car. They are quite a bit wider than stock as well, and look great with a nice deep dish.
specs:
Front: 21x9 +32 (265/30R21 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S)
Rear: 21x10.5 +25 (305/25R21 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S)

It's still a bit tail happy, but that is exactly how it should be.

Quick Reply: Steering