Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Andi Jaguar G
It's just a shame that dynamic mode doesn't simply offer an additional, sportier and more extreme setting option. If you don't want this, you don't have to choose it.
The problem is, that's all subjective. On my 2015, the adjustments to the steering in dynamic mode feel really good (and I have a 4C with manual steering and a race car S2000). It's possible the later models with the full electric steering feels worse, but again it's all going to be subject as many are likely very happy with what they have..

It's not much different than say ride quality. Some complain the F-Type is too stiff. Some say it's too soft.. Who's right? Neither...

The following users liked this post:
scm (02-21-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 06:08 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

In practice, that's how it is for me. In dynamic mode for fast corners, I need large deflections on the steering wheel to drive cleanly through the corner. The steering way is just too big in my opinion. If you drive a long curve a little faster, you have to make a lot of corrections, here a more direct steering would be much more pleasant. If you move the F-Type 20% slower in such a curve, everything is fine. And no, I'm not moving my cat to the limit at this moment, I think I'm still a long way off. On a race track, this effect is certainly even more evident, but I don't move there either. This is what I mean by imprecise or not direct enough. The steering play is just too big, too little feedback on what's happening on the road. I think more users should have noticed that. Of course, the steering is still better than that of a standard Golf or A4 Avant, no question. But I don't think it fits in with a "sports car". Straight ahead at high speeds it's quite good, I only have my problem in corners.

What surprised me was that all rubber bearings in the steering and front wheel suspension are said to have worn out max. 15-25k miles and are too soft! It is quite possible that it would be worth investing in new OEM rubber bushings for steering and suspension. Should that be true after a few miles! Who here has experience with this? THANKS

Old 02-22-2022, 07:24 AM
Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

I was blasting along some roads yesterday, and I probably thought the same, until I remembered a lesson from some 30 years ago. An instructor was watching me while I twitched through corners and told me to "look further down the road". It (for me) dramatically smoothed my turns. It even lessens the bumps and ruts effect on your steering, or seems to. Compare it to skiing, your skis are turning under you but you're looking down hill.

Carbuff2 (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by andi-jaguar-g
I need large deflections on the steering wheel to drive cleanly through the corner.
Quitcher Bitchin'.

I don't complain about steering angle since I drove a friend's 1953 DeSoto.
First street-corner I encountered, I almost hit the curb on the far side... because I didn't turn the wheel enough!

Pierremm92 (02-22-2022)