F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel shake- Carbon Ceramic Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel shake- Carbon Ceramic Brakes

Has anyone had an issue with the steering wheel shaking with Carbon Ceramic Brakes during normal braking?

My 2015 F Type R is equipped with the CC brakes. The vehicle has been pampered since new, never tracked, only has 16,000 miles.

During braking at at speeds from 40 mph to 80 mph with normal braking the steering wheel shakes slightly all the way to a stop. The brake pedal does not pulsate.

Jaguar Dealer called in the RTM (regional technical manager) and the shop did a complete inspection of the rotors, pads, calipers, and checked front wheel balance. They said there is no issues. I picked up the car from the dealer and the steering wheel still shakes. Does anyone have any insights or experienced this problem with their CC brakes?

Old 05-28-2018, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Jet4me2fly
Has anyone had an issue with the steering wheel shaking with Carbon Ceramic Brakes during normal braking?

My 2015 F Type R is equipped with the CC brakes. The vehicle has been pampered since new, never tracked, only has 16,000 miles.

During braking at at speeds from 40 mph to 80 mph with normal braking the steering wheel shakes slightly all the way to a stop. The brake pedal does not pulsate.

Jaguar Dealer called in the RTM (regional technical manager) and the shop did a complete inspection of the rotors, pads, calipers, and checked front wheel balance. They said there is no issues. I picked up the car from the dealer and the steering wheel still shakes. Does anyone have any insights or experienced this problem with their CC brakes?

I had that occur on a previous car and it turned out to be a bad tire.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:09 PM
Received 253 Likes on 171 Posts

One of the front tires as a structural defect. That is usually covered under warranty by the tire manufacturer if the tire meets the warranty deadlines. Also make sure that you don't have any tire dry rotting.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:39 PM
Default Carbon Ceramic brake fix

After the third visit to the Jaguar dealer and insisting the Jaguar regional technical ride with me in my car, it was determined my carbon ceramic rotors were out of balance and had to be replaced. At 16,000 miles they were out of warranty. VERY EXPENSIVE FIX. Approximately $13,000 U.S.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:03 PM
Received 82 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Jet4me2fly
After the third visit to the Jaguar dealer and insisting the Jaguar regional technical ride with me in my car, it was determined my carbon ceramic rotors were out of balance and had to be replaced. At 16,000 miles they were out of warranty. VERY EXPENSIVE FIX. Approximately $13,000 U.S.

Did the dealer give any explanation as to how they got out of balance?

Last edited by RIRR; 07-03-2018 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:35 PM
Default Ceramic brake rotors out of balance

Originally Posted by RIRR
Did the dealer give any explanation as to how they got out of balance?
The dealer had no explanation. They had two other lightly used F Type R’s in their inventory with the carbon ceramic rotors. I drove both and both had a steering wheel shake, same as mine. My logical conclusion is Brembo has an issue with their carbon ceramic rotors. The Jag regional technical manager had no explanation either.

I know this is a known issue with the Brembo carbon ceramic rotors on the corvette. There is much info on corvette forums explaining this issue.

With the new carbon Ceramic rotors and pads installed the steering wheel now has a slight vibration above 50 mph. The average driver probably wouldn’t notice, but it still isn’t right. And no it’s not a tire, balance, or alignment issue. It is a rotor balance issue. My personal opinion is these brake calipers and rotors look awesome but not worth the cost unless you are a serious racer.