F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel trim removal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 05:33 PM
Received 119 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Steering wheel trim removal?

I'm in need of replacing the trim surrounding the airbag and steering wheel controls, and the lower spoke on the flat-bottom steering wheel. Looking at the workshop guide, I am not clear if only the airbag needs to be removed, and the trim clips in/out, or if the entire steering wheel needs to be removed to remove the trim.

Any help would be appreciated!

The following users liked this post:
STMPY (04-23-2019)
Old 07-08-2021, 09:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you get any help? I have the same problem

Old 08-09-2021, 11:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the replacement parts? Are they OEM's, or 2nd hand?

Mine have the dreaded "Stickies" and if I can't get it all off (I have managed for the rest of the car, but the steering wheel is especially difficult) I will buy new ones or a replacement wheel entirely..

Cheers

Old 08-10-2021, 12:57 PM
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by frostysauce
I'm in need of replacing the trim surrounding the airbag and steering wheel controls, and the lower spoke on the flat-bottom steering wheel. Looking at the workshop guide, I am not clear if only the airbag needs to be removed, and the trim clips in/out, or if the entire steering wheel needs to be removed to remove the trim.

Any help would be appreciated!
Take a look at this thread. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...cement-226368/.
I bought a cheap fiber optic camera that fit to the iPhone. Using that you can get a visual to see where to gently pry for the airbag removal. Only the airbag needs removed. This video helps a little too.
I disconnected the battery but didn't disconnect the airbag electrical connections. I just wrapped the airbag in a towel so it didn't scratch the trim. Once the airbag is removed the upper trim pulls out/off. I would say this is a friction fit. Then the left and right controls are screwed to the upper trim. The lower trim just pulls out. I decided instead of going with 2015 replacement black pieces I went with 2018, imitation silver steering wheel trim. Here are some part numbers.

upper black T2R18060
upper gun metal T2R19453
lower gun metal T2R24259. Not completely confident on this one.
lower silver T2R24260
upper silver T2R24258

My door trim and vents were sticky too. I replaced them with the 2018 varitety. I also made a recent post about a permanent solution to sticky buttons. I sent my center console buttons and screen bezel to StickyRX solutions and they refinished them.
. Good luck.

Old 08-10-2021, 08:36 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SS4PK
Take a look at this thread. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...cement-226368/.
I bought a cheap fiber optic camera that fit to the iPhone. Using that you can get a visual to see where to gently pry for the airbag removal. Only the airbag needs removed. This video helps a little too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaVpP9Tw88M
I disconnected the battery but didn't disconnect the airbag electrical connections. I just wrapped the airbag in a towel so it didn't scratch the trim. Once the airbag is removed the upper trim pulls out/off. I would say this is a friction fit. Then the left and right controls are screwed to the upper trim. The lower trim just pulls out. I decided instead of going with 2015 replacement black pieces I went with 2018, imitation silver steering wheel trim. Here are some part numbers.

upper black T2R18060
upper gun metal T2R19453
lower gun metal T2R24259. Not completely confident on this one.
lower silver T2R24260
upper silver T2R24258

My door trim and vents were sticky too. I replaced them with the 2018 varitety. I also made a recent post about a permanent solution to sticky buttons. I sent my center console buttons and screen bezel to StickyRX solutions and they refinished them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLhFYLwfs6A . Good luck.
Thanks for the part numbers but "where" did you get the parts from, a dealership?

Old 08-10-2021, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Another thing to remember is if/when you remove the steering wheel airbag you will trigger an amber airbag warning light on the dash, and this light is permanent and can only be removed using SDD/Pathfinder (which for 99% of punters means a visit to a JLR dealership).
I had the upper steering wheel cover replaced with a new one a few months ago as it was a mess, I had it done by a professional shop, and I have had the airbag warning light (and the two associated error codes) ever since. I would like to get rid of it but I avoid my JLR dealership like the plague so I have learned to live with it.

Old 08-10-2021, 09:30 PM
Received 447 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
and I have had the airbag warning light (and the two associated error codes) ever since. I would like to get rid of it but I avoid my JLR dealership like the plague so I have learned to live with it.
Just remember that if the SRS light is on, the airbags will NOT deploy in an accident--even if they are working perfectly. It disables the system until reset.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thunder Dump:
DJS (08-11-2021), OzXFR (08-11-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Another thing to remember is if/when you remove the steering wheel airbag you will trigger an amber airbag warning light on the dash, and this light is permanent and can only be removed using SDD/Pathfinder (which for 99% of punters means a visit to a JLR dealership).
I had the upper steering wheel cover replaced with a new one a few months ago as it was a mess, I had it done by a professional shop, and I have had the airbag warning light (and the two associated error codes) ever since. I would like to get rid of it but I avoid my JLR dealership like the plague so I have learned to live with it.
Maybe the key to not getting the airbag light is to not remove the airbag electrical connection? I didn't get a light.

Old 08-11-2021, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Kirk Morey
Thanks for the part numbers but "where" did you get the parts from, a dealership?
I order all my parts from Harper Jaguar online. They seem to be cheaper than my dealer 20 miles away.

Old 08-11-2021, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by SS4PK
Maybe the key to not getting the airbag light is to not remove the airbag electrical connection? I didn't get a light.
Whenever you are working with the SRS, you should NOT get any lights if you:

Keep the ignition key away from the car
Disconnect the power (ground first)
Wait at least 2 minutes for the power circuit to completely discharge.

Then complete your work and add back power and then OK to bring key near the car.

Just FYI

DC

The following users liked this post:
OzXFR (08-11-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Therock88
Whenever you are working with the SRS, you should NOT get any lights if you:

Keep the ignition key away from the car
Disconnect the power (ground first)
Wait at least 2 minutes for the power circuit to completely discharge.

Then complete your work and add back power and then OK to bring key near the car.

Just FYI

DC
I neglected to ask the mechanic exactly what he did/didn't do so I suspect he missed one or more of these steps.
My bad for not spelling them out to him beforehand but I assumed, wrongly it seems, that he would already know this.

Old 08-11-2021, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member

Just took a trip to the same shop who fitted my steering wheel cover panel, five minute job and SRS/airbag light is now off!
No charge, they claimed there was no light when they first handed the car back to me, but it was definitely there when I started it up.
At the time I didn't query them and just drove on out, hoping/expecting my iCarsoft LR V2.0 would clear the warning light and the codes but not to be.
Glad I have now cleared it and re-enabled the airbag system as there was a risk SWMBO would have had a hissy fit the first time she drove the car again and asked "what is that light?" and I explained and then she asked "does the airbag still work?" and I told the truth and answered "no". I learned years ago that lying to SWMBO is a very bad idea!

Old 08-11-2021, 10:41 PM
Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

damm, i will have to cancel your solitaire visit and my commisssion