F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sticky Orange Paddles --- any way to restore?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 09:28 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Sticky Orange Paddles --- any way to restore?

I've had my 2014 V8 S (Firesand, Black Pack, etc) for about 60 days and every day is more fun. My normal DD (2015 Caddy ATS) sits in the garage unless it's projected to rain or I'm going to be at the bowling center (need the trunk space). Such fun!

One issue with the car, which I expected and now have experienced upon its arrival, is the sticky paddle shifters. The car spent its life down south, which promoted the issue even further I am sure.

My question --- has anyone tried just removing the coating with something like Goo Gone? I was thinking of trying that, and then recovering them with wax or sealant, instead of going thru the trouble of a warranty claim.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Regardless what you do, be certain to remove the paddles before you use any solvents on them. You might consider coating them with Plastidip. There are some "Luxury Metal" colors that might look good: https://plastidip.com/our-products/plasti-dip/

Old 06-27-2017, 05:47 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

had the same issue with my car. removed the paddles and cleaned aggressively with denatured alcohol. they look perfect. the alcohol removed the sticky residue without damaging the color or integrity. learned this technique on my jeep wrangler dash.

The following users liked this post:
salukutinaveen (08-29-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 01:58 AM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

On this subject, my paddles are ok, but my start button is sticky and scratched. Anyone replaced that?

Old 07-02-2017, 03:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
On this subject, my paddles are ok, but my start button is sticky and scratched. Anyone replaced that?
Yep, several have done it, although for the life of me I can't find a thread or post on it!
I even remember a fairly recent post where a FM said he removed the OEM start button without having to remove the surrounding trim, by simply wrapping a thin flexible piece of plastic around it and pulling it up and out.

The following users liked this post:
AnD3rew (07-02-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dwelter
had the same issue with my car. removed the paddles and cleaned aggressively with denatured alcohol. they look perfect. the alcohol removed the sticky residue without damaging the color or integrity. learned this technique on my jeep wrangler dash.
this worked perfectly! Got a towel and some rubbing alcohol, removed the paddles (one hex nut) and the goo came up with some elbow grease... look Great! One note of caution: removing the paddles only disconnects them from the column, as the wires are still intact. So, clean with care and don't pull on anything!

thanks all... happy motoring!

Old 08-29-2017, 05:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pjr300
this worked perfectly! Got a towel and some rubbing alcohol, removed the paddles (one hex nut) and the goo came up with some elbow grease... look Great! One note of caution: removing the paddles only disconnects them from the column, as the wires are still intact. So, clean with care and don't pull on anything!

thanks all... happy motoring!
Did you try this on the other buttons as well ? Why do have to remove the paddle shifters.. would it damage other parts ..

Any help is appreciated !

Thank you

Old 08-29-2017, 10:25 PM

Good questions!

I only tried it on the orange paddles, since that was the only "sticky issue" that I needed to address.

And I removed them because access was difficult.... if I wanted to be thorough, it was a challenge to get into the tight spaces. I possibly could have accomplished the cleaning if I used a small instrument or a Q-Tip, but possibly not.