F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sticky substance forming on start/stop button

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 03:19 PM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Sticky substance forming on start/stop button

I've begun to notice a sticky residue on the paddle shifters and on the start/stop button. Of course that picks up dirt and builds up over time. Is there something that will remove it without damaging the finish. Doesn't seem to be water Soluble. I'm in Texas and temps of 100+ are common, but I would think those items are painted.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Philipintexas
I've begun to notice a sticky residue on the paddle shifters and on the start/stop button. Of course that picks up dirt and builds up over time. Is there something that will remove it without damaging the finish. Doesn't seem to be water Soluble. I'm in Texas and temps of 100+ are common, but I would think those items are painted.
Can't you at least wait until you get into the bedroom?

Old 06-07-2016, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Try a drop of "DAWN" on a damp terry towel.

That's used to clean poor birds that stumble into oil spills. It's also used by detailers to strip old wax and other sealants off the paint without damaging it before using a clay bar and starting the paint correction process.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-07-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First post here fella's, so go easy on me. I haven't gone into the introduction thread yet because I don't pickup my car until Thursday 06/09/16.

Virtually all Ferrari's starting with the 348 in 1989 had a nice tactile rubberized coating applied to a/c vents, interior door handles and various switches and knobs on the dashboard. I know that the 458 used this coating but I have yet to see the 488 to know if it's the same or not. Anyway, the coating used will eventually degrade into a sticky, gooey mess. This is such a prevalent problem that there are now 2 companies that strip the finish off of these parts and refinish them. I don't think either of the two have had a call for the bronze color used on the f-type, but I suspect that they will in the future if the coating is the same. BTW, these two companies do not refinish using the rubberized finish.

I have ordered brand new OEM Ferrari parts still in the original wrapper within the original box that are a sticky mess. This same issue is very prevalent with Maserati as well as Lamborghini, Porsche etc....

The 2 companies that do this are "stickynomore" and "sticky rx". I have no affiliation with either.

Hope to contribute in the future. I'm very anxious for Thursday!

Old 06-07-2016, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tomclark
First post here fella's, so go easy on me. I haven't gone into the introduction thread yet because I don't pickup my car until Thursday 06/09/16.

Virtually all Ferrari's starting with the 348 in 1989 had a nice tactile rubberized coating applied to a/c vents, interior door handles and various switches and knobs on the dashboard. I know that the 458 used this coating but I have yet to see the 488 to know if it's the same or not. Anyway, the coating used will eventually degrade into a sticky, gooey mess. This is such a prevalent problem that there are now 2 companies that strip the finish off of these parts and refinish them. I don't think either of the two have had a call for the bronze color used on the f-type, but I suspect that they will in the future if the coating is the same. BTW, these two companies do not refinish using the rubberized finish.

I have ordered brand new OEM Ferrari parts still in the original wrapper within the original box that are a sticky mess. This same issue is very prevalent with Maserati as well as Lamborghini, Porsche etc....

The 2 companies that do this are "stickynomore" and "sticky rx". I have no affiliation with either.

Hope to contribute in the future. I'm very anxious for Thursday!
Funny, last year I bought some JBL professional studio monitors in which the face had a sticky goo on them that developed over time. JBL knew of this issue but denied blame. I got them back to normal with the orange goo gone equivalent. And an hour of elbow grease. I forgot the exact name but it's at Home Depot in the Goof Off section.

Old 06-07-2016, 05:46 PM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
Can't you at least wait until you get into the bedroom?

Old 06-07-2016, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

As others have mentioned, it is a common problem with many cars that use that same paint finish. It is from contact with your fingers, not just hot temperatures. I noticed mine had it quite badly after only 8,000 miles.

If the car is under warranty have it replaced. Even if not the switch is around $50 so not a bank-breaker even if annoying if you want to restore the finish. On the X351 (XJ) they changed a lot of the plastic buttons from the painted finish that goes sticky to a very fine textured plastic finish with normal paint that shouldn't have that problem. I don't know if they made the same change in the F Type in the most recent model years/s? It is easy to tell - the new ones feel like matt plastic not rubber, but still look almost the same.

It is worth noting that a lot of interior cleaners sold for cars will strip the coating because it is pretty common to see cars with lots of spots cleared through the paint finish where it has been oversprayed. The orange/bronze paint should be sound so if you strip off the rubberised coating you will still have a presentable button. Don't use any solvents - the plastic is likely ABS and it will melt.

You could strip the paddles too, or replace them with the uncoated aluminium ones JLR use on various models.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:24 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Try using 3M Citrus Cleaner.
We use this daily in our business to remove all kinds of industrial adhesives, stickers, and labels from various plastic parts.
Have yet to encounter a plastic that showed any ill effect from the citrus cleaner.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by IronMike
Try using 3M Citrus Cleaner.
We use this daily in our business to remove all kinds of industrial adhesives, stickers, and labels from various plastic parts.
Have yet to encounter a plastic that showed any ill effect from the citrus cleaner.

That's the one