F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sticky switch gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 09:32 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default sticky switch gear

my window lift buttons, radio knob, the eco switch and worse of all the start stop button are all becoming sticky to the touch. Also the underside of the grab bar on the passenger side feels tacky to the touch. I haven't used any chemicals on them except when the dealer advised me to wipe all these parts off with Armorall cleaning wipes, which seems to have made the problem worse.
They are replacing all these items but I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. The dealer stated they had some plastic degradation a few years ago with other models but didn't think this was related to what is happening to my car. Any ideas?

Old 12-02-2017, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by concertoed
my window lift buttons, radio knob, the eco switch and worse of all the start stop button are all becoming sticky to the touch. Also the underside of the grab bar on the passenger side feels tacky to the touch. I haven't used any chemicals on them except when the dealer advised me to wipe all these parts off with Armorall cleaning wipes, which seems to have made the problem worse.
They are replacing all these items but I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. The dealer stated they had some plastic degradation a few years ago with other models but didn't think this was related to what is happening to my car. Any ideas?
A number of folks on the forum have mentioned this issue. It seems to be mostly an MY14 issue, but that could be because those cars have been around longer.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:18 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Had the orange start button changed under warranty on my '14 V8S. My JLR dealer wasn't surprised at all when I pointed it out to them, I am guessing they have had to deal with quite a few of these claims.

As Unhingd mentioned there has been a few threads on the forum with the orange trim (start button / paddles) getting sticky and needing to be replaced. Not had or read of any problems with the other non orange trim though (grab handle, window / volume buttons etc)