F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Catalytic Converters - why do they go bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2023, 06:22 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Stock Catalytic Converters - why do they go bad?

I have ‘17 F-type R with only 20K miles now. One fine morning I had a check engine light on. The next day it went off and never came back on. I had it read and it showed multiple oxygen sensors and catalytic converter needing attention. Took it to dealer and they said it’s catalytic converter and not the o2 sensors. Surprisingly, I didn’t have any power issues, mpg variance, black smoke or bad smell for a week that I drove since the CEL had come on and went off. I am assuming it’s lightly clogged vs cooked out. Is this a common issue? I am wondering what could cause the catalytic converter to go bad? Are they bad design or is there some other underlying cause that needs to be addressed?

Old 10-12-2023, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,225 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Originally Posted by JagFR
I have ‘17 F-type R with only 20K miles now. One fine morning I had a check engine light on. The next day it went off and never came back on. I had it read and it showed multiple oxygen sensors and catalytic converter needing attention. Took it to dealer and they said it’s catalytic converter and not the o2 sensors. Surprisingly, I didn’t have any power issues, mpg variance, black smoke or bad smell for a week that I drove since the CEL had come on and went off. I am assuming it’s lightly clogged vs cooked out. Is this a common issue? I am wondering what could cause the catalytic converter to go bad? Are they bad design or is there some other underlying cause that needs to be addressed?
The main theory is the problem (exhaust cats failing way too early) is caused by how the "snap crackle and pop" exhaust noise when lifting of the go pedal is generated.
Put simply, the ECU (PCM - Powertrain Control Module - in JLR speak) is programmed to inject some fuel on the over-run which is then ignited in the exhaust system (purely by the heat). Dunno exactly where in the exhaust system this ignition takes place, could be before or after the cats (I'm guessing before) but either way is bad for the cats. Not just the explosions (viz the pops and bangs) but also and maybe more so unburned fuel going through the cats.

Old 10-12-2023, 09:18 PM

Could be, if done in extreme. Sounds like I’ll need to roll with a bottle of Cataclean going forward.

I was wondering if it was a common problem and a quick google search shows brethern’s on the uk jag forum complaining about cats. Doesn’t look like a common problem here.

Old 10-13-2023, 05:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts

Should be covered by warranty.
Cats are covered by federal law for 8 years or 80K miles on new cars.
O2 sensors are also covered by extended JLR warranty.
Keep on popping!!

Old 10-13-2023, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
Should be covered by warranty.
Cats are covered by federal law for 8 years or 80K miles on new cars.
O2 sensors are also covered by extended JLR warranty.
Keep on popping!!
Thankfully it is covered!

Old 10-13-2023, 09:44 PM

Got my car back today. Only cats were replaced, o2’s were good. No software update (thank god!). Felt the car was breathing a little better and was a tad bit more responsive, but that could be a function of cooler weather too. It could be my cats were slightly clogged and hence the CEL was off. Anyhow, happy it was resolved quickly :-)

Old 10-14-2023, 06:14 AM
Veteran Member

Good job!!
I think the new ones are warranted for 5 years.

Old 10-14-2023, 03:20 PM
Received 89 Likes on 51 Posts

This is the first time I've heard of Cataclean. What do we know about whether it works, any risks, experience with the AJ126 motor, etc. I currently use BG44K every 10K or so (annual for me). Can someone with pro level knowledge speak to the best treatment regimen. Switch to Cataclean? Use both every 10k, in separate tanks of gas of course? Alternate between C and BG?

https://www.holley.com/products/cataclean/

On a side note, I've read that detergent based cleaners like BG do a better job in general than solvent based ones lite Cataclean. Your thoughts?

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-15-2023, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts

I am not a pro either?
I can't say which is better but they are advertised for different purposes?
I use the BG44K but they make no claims that it cleans the catalytic converters?
I have never used Cataclean but that is their main claim it does clean catalytic converters.

Does it work? Don't know but have read several posts where a car failed emission testing and after using Cataclean the car passed.
Plus it's cheap and easy to do before replacing an expensive catalytic converter! So I don't see any downside even if it does not work.

But I don't think you can't compare them directly?

Old 10-16-2023, 12:09 AM
Received 89 Likes on 51 Posts

Thet call Cataclean a fuel and exhaust system cleaner. "Restores, maintains & helps protect the catalytic converter, oxygen sensors, fuel injectors, cylinder heads and DPF (diesel particulate filter."

Sounds to me like they are billing it as equivalent to BG44K with an added benefit for the cat. Who has the real scoop?

Old 10-16-2023, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael211
Thet call Cataclean a fuel and exhaust system cleaner. "Restores, maintains & helps protect the catalytic converter, oxygen sensors, fuel injectors, cylinder heads and DPF (diesel particulate filter."

Sounds to me like they are billing it as equivalent to BG44K with an added benefit for the cat. Who has the real scoop?
Looks to me like its a mixture of common solvents. See pg. 3 of attached SDS.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Cataclean SDS.pdf (174.4 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by RGPV6S; 10-16-2023 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-16-2023, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

I am unable to comprehend how those solvents would clean a cat.
I thought the problem with cat failure was primarily due to carbonation.
Those high volatiles solvents would just flush straight through with the exhaust and non would work on carbon build-up.
You might get a few nice exhaust flames!!

Old 11-02-2023, 09:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I have the same problem with my 40,000km Ftype; I am told that my left catalytic converter is dead. I have an engine light.

But is it possible to fix this? disassemble clean?

Did you pay to replace your catalyst?

Old 11-02-2023, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by JKYTYPE
I think I have the same problem with my 40,000km Ftype; I am told that my left catalytic converter is dead. I have an engine light.

But is it possible to fix this? disassemble clean?

Did you pay to replace your catalyst?
In the US, each state has laws around emissions. In my state, any emission related part (e.g. catalytic converter) the manufacturer has to cover it for 8 years. I didn’t have to pay for it.

With your CEL on, do you smell or see black smoke coming out of your exhaust? Has your mpg gone down? Does your drive feel sluggish at low and high RPM? If none of those, you could try cleaning it. Try the cataclean and see if that does the magic. If not, you are better off replacing it.

Old 11-02-2023, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member

JAGFR:
There may be different emission laws in different states but there is an overriding federal law that mandates original (not replacement) catalytic converters are warranted for 8 years or 80K miles.
This is a fact!

Old 11-02-2023, 09:52 AM

can you prove this?

Old 11-02-2023, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
JAGFR:
There may be different emission laws in different states but there is an overriding federal law that mandates original (not replacement) catalytic converters are warranted for 8 years or 80K miles.
This is a fact!
Thanks for clarifying :-)

Old 11-02-2023, 10:27 AM

can you prove this?
Prove what?

Old 11-02-2023, 10:28 AM

where is this text ? link ?

Old 11-02-2023, 10:31 AM

where is this text ? link ?
If you are asking about warranty, this is US law. Where are you located? Here is a letter Jag shared with their US customers. I heard they didn’t cover this in UK so people had to pay out of pocket.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
JagOxy.pdf (537.3 KB, 52 views)

Quick Reply: Stock Catalytic Converters - why do they go bad?