F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Storing FType for winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 09:00 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Storing FType for winter

I live in an area that gets very cold for winter, and I have another car that is my daily driver. That said, I want to store my F Type for the winter.

Problem is, I only have a 1-car garage, and I want to put my daily driver in it for the winter so I don't spend my mornings clearing snow and ice off it.

What are my options for storing it? Is storing even a good option? I'm afraid I'll end up with flat spots on the wheels leaving it sitting motionless for several months. Or might it be damaged somehow when I finally re-start it?

Even if there are positive answers to those questions, I'm still not sure where to store it. A friend has a garage with a free space in it and said I could put the car there for the winter. But that raises a bunch of legal questions - what if I get mycar in the spring and there's a big scratch that wasn't there when I firstdropped it off? What's my friend's responsibility if a fire breaks out on theother side of the house and he has plenty of time to get the car out but doesn't? What ifthe car somehow sparks a fire and it burns his house down? What if hetakes it for a ride and damages it? Who's responsible ifit's stolen from the garage? What if he leaves the garage open all nightand it was stolen or vandalized?

I know I could call my insurance company, but I was curious what others here do. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:20 AM
Received 335 Likes on 201 Posts

Being that you are worried about the legalities of storing it elsewhere, I suggest that you keep it in your own garage and deal with the occasional snow on your daily driver. Then on days when there is no snow you can take your Jag out for a nice spirited drive and keep it in good shape.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:50 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Lots of us store our cars, and there are lots of threads (including recent ones) about this. I store mine at a commercial storage facility, but it's my own auto insurance that covers it for theft, fire, etc. Talk to your insurance agent about how coverage works for storing it at a friends' house.

I put 40psi in my tires for winter storage, and haven't had flat spot issues. Fill the tank, and be sure to put a battery tender on it. Or remove the battery.

The following users liked this post:
briruss3 (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 10:12 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Lots of us store our cars, and there are lots of threads (including recent ones) about this. I store mine at a commercial storage facility, but it's my own auto insurance that covers it for theft, fire, etc. Talk to your insurance agent about how coverage works for storing it at a friends' house.

I put 40psi in my tires for winter storage, and haven't had flat spot issues. Fill the tank, and be sure to put a battery tender on it. Or remove the battery.
I totally agree with this and would add that if you are concerned about damage invest in an Evolution 3 cover for the car. It is made for outdoor use, but does have thickness that would protect it from minor scratches and damage. My F-Type will rotate between indoor and outdoor storage this winter....

Bobert

The following users liked this post:
briruss3 (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 10:37 AM

Thanks folks. I didn't see the small search button for just this forum, only was seeing the one along the top for all forums, and it wasn't much help.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:51 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use tire cradles for winter storage and have never had an issue with flat spotting. I also over inflate the tires by 10-15 pounds. I also use a battery tender. (The 12C is stored for the winter and the Jag S AWD will be my winter driver.)

As far as liability your own insurance is responsible for comprehensive/collision coverage regardless of where garaged. Your friend could only be potentially liable if he were to drive the vehicle without your permission (in that case his insurance would be primary and yours secondary in most states).

Last edited by Thomas Stires; 10-25-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:14 AM

FYI - I was told by esurance that if you garage the car on your own property, dropping collision and maintaining comprehensive is sufficient. But if you store the car offsite, say at a storage facility or a friend's garage or a dealership, you need to invest in a storage policy. These cover cars that cannot and will not be driven for extended periods.

But I guess if you're keeping it at your own garage, as far as an insurance company is concerned, you can drive it anytime if you really want to, so changing your coverage is up to whatever you want covered, but it's still a driveable car as far as they're concerned. And a comprehensive policy is written such that they assume the car will remain garaged on your property, so if it gets damaged and they find out it was in storage somewhere else, they may deny coverage. Be careful.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

If you have a garage with some ceiling height, you can buy a storage lift and elevate your stored car above the height needed to have another car below. My business partner does this in our office parking garage (building owned by our business). The prices for these are not too crazy.