F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Storing over the winter

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 01:32 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Storing over the winter

Hi, I don't think my F-Type will get much use during the winter months since I live in NE Pennsylvania, so I've probably put it to bed for at least Dec-February. I've put an indoor car cover on it since I just had it professionally detailed prior to storing it to preserve the cleanliness.

Any other suggestions on what I should do over the course of the winter? Starting regularly, fuel additives, etc?

Thanks for any advice.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:44 PM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Several members with other models store their vehicles over the Winter.

The majority opinion is regular starting does more harm than good. The major concern with modern Jaguars is with maintenance of the electrical/electronic systems during the lay up. A battery tender is an essential to avoid many issues when you take the vehicle back out of storage.

Graham

Old 12-12-2013, 02:27 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Store a car?

Not drive it for three months?

Car covers and battery tender?

All sentences we don't utter in Florida as it's 81 degrees right now.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:49 PM
GGG

Don't you just hate these smug b******s from the Sunshine State.

Not that I'm in the slightest bit jealous.

Graham

Old 12-12-2013, 04:21 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

HAHA. Actually. I would rather be in 20 degree weather right now. Hard to get into the spirit when I have flip flops on.

#IHATEFLORIDADURINGCHRISTMAS

Old 12-12-2013, 04:47 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by New2Jag
HAHA. Actually. I would rather be in 20 degree weather right now. Hard to get into the spirit when I have flip flops on.

#IHATEFLORIDADURINGCHRISTMAS
I'd like to be in 20 degree weather right now, because in Chicago we're stuck in the teens.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:17 PM
cjp
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by drgek
I'd like to be in 20 degree weather right now, because in Chicago we're stuck in the teens.
Single digits here today!

Back on topic (!), I do use Stabil and a Battery Tender, but have only got the latter wired up temporarily. Has anyone got any pictures or can point me to a set of directions on how to remove the trunk floor? I looked at wiring up the Battery Tender to the car permanently: I found the Jag trickle charge install instructions on the Forum here, but I cannot figure out how to get the floor out and am afraid of busting it...

Thanks!

Chris

Old 12-12-2013, 05:47 PM
GGG

Chris,

Is there a plastic hand grip moulding recessed into the trunk floor panel?

Earlier models have a strap or a moulding you press to reveal a lifting handle. Jaguar designers are creatures of habit when it comes to things like this and I don't expect they'll have done anything wildly different on the F-Type.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
cjp (12-16-2013)
Old 12-12-2013, 11:20 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Several members with other models store their vehicles over the Winter.

The majority opinion is regular starting does more harm than good. The major concern with modern Jaguars is with maintenance of the electrical/electronic systems during the lay up. A battery tender is an essential to avoid many issues when you take the vehicle back out of storage.

Graham
That's it in a nutshell.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:18 AM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a Deltran battery tender that I had bought 2 years ago for my Maser Gransport. I have not used it yet for the F-type (although it had been frigid in Chicago all week). Since the F-type has 2 batteries, which one are we connecting the battery tender to? Sorry to sound ignorant here, but I have not looked into it on my own yet and would rather get the simple answer from you guys.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:27 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by doctordeuce
I have a Deltran battery tender that I had bought 2 years ago for my Maser Gransport. I have not used it yet for the F-type (although it had been frigid in Chicago all week). Since the F-type has 2 batteries, which one are we connecting the battery tender to? Sorry to sound ignorant here, but I have not looked into it on my own yet and would rather get the simple answer from you guys.
I included a link to download the F-Type Jaguar Battery Charging Kit installation instructions (JAF 0048_1E) in the 'HOW TO' at the top of the thread in this section.

Whatever type of tender you choose, it should be connected in the same way as shown on the last page of the instructions.

Graham

cjp (12-16-2013)
Old 12-13-2013, 07:07 AM

Thanks to everyone (apart from the wise guys who live in summer all year long)

Old 12-13-2013, 08:51 AM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

How long can it sit before the lack of a battery tender matters?
Mine is in a large garage under my building, and there are no outlets to use a tender.

It has sat for a few weeks without being used - was going to take it out this weekend, but it seems the weather is not playing along. Without winter tires I don't really want to risk it.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:23 AM

Good Question - was going to ask about stock USA the tires too. If I just want to take it out in cold weather for a regular drive and not thrash it about - is it safe enough?

Old 12-13-2013, 11:59 AM

I put performance winters on my R8 and would go out in anything.
But having something with rwd and high torque, on summer performance tires and cold weather (40 and below) ... should be "fine" if you aren't doing fast corners.

But if it is even remotely wet or snowing, you are going to have an interesting time.

Also depends on where you are - I'm right in the city, vs out in the country or something. (slip a bit without anyone around, fine - do it in the city, and you have a bus and pedestrians and cars all right there)

Old 12-13-2013, 01:30 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by omgomg
How long can it sit before the lack of a battery tender matters?
Mine is in a large garage under my building, and there are no outlets to use a tender.

It has sat for a few weeks without being used - was going to take it out this weekend, but it seems the weather is not playing along. Without winter tires I don't really want to risk it.
As your vehicle has already been parked up for a while, you've just got yourself appointed 'Head of Research' on this one!

New vehicles + new batteries are going to be unaffected for longest.

Too many variables involved to make any definite statements on rate of drain but I can give two examples from personal experience. An XK8 with a new battery parked outside for 5 weeks in Winter started OK when I got back. Same vehicle with a 3 year old battery gave issues with window drop and error messages/codes after a 3 week park up.

Graham

Old 12-16-2013, 07:34 PM
cjp
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Chris,

Is there a plastic hand grip moulding recessed into the trunk floor panel?

Earlier models have a strap or a moulding you press to reveal a lifting handle. Jaguar designers are creatures of habit when it comes to things like this and I don't expect they'll have done anything wildly different on the F-Type.

Graham
Graham,
Turns out that doing this properly was a walk in the park. There's a little loop on the battery cover which lets you pop that off, and then the floor "tub" just lifts straight out to give you full access to everything you need. The wiring is simple too, following the diagram. The one watch out is that the "Red" diagram on the documentation is upside down, and it doesn't make sense until you flip it 180. It was easier to do than my original temporary setup.

As a bonus I found my front license plate holder was wedged in there with the wiring by someone. I tossed that straight into the storage unit. One less thing rattling around!

Thanks,

Chris

GGG (12-17-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

How could you stand not driving your F-type for three or four months? It would drive me crazy. (And by the way, 88 degrees in Southern California today, had the convertible down all day as I do everyday). We put our desert tortoise in a box and throw it into a closet from November to March to hibernate, I guess you northerners have to do the same with your Jaguars.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by tberg
How could you stand not driving your F-type for three or four months?
I've developed strong coping mechanisms. And by that, I mostly mean drinking.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

20F, that's drop top weather! I store my XK8 from November to April. Fill it with non-ethanol premium, battery tender, fill the tires to 50lbs, surround it with mouse traps and check it hourly. OK, maybe not that often. So if the weather is always so nice in Florida, when do you work on your car? And it must cost a fortune to freeze the pond for hockey!

Quick Reply: Storing over the winter