F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Storm Grey Vs. Ammonite Grey

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 04:33 PM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Musictogo
Thank you for your informative comments. I am in the process of selling my 2013 white XJ and buying a new Carpathian grey XJ R-Sport this week. I originally thought of getting blue, red----or even another whire(Fuji). I saw an F-Type in the showroom in this really great color----Carpathian grey (with ivory/mineral inside). It was so much "darker" in the showroom than any color I would have thought of----yet, there was something so beautiful about it. The car was near a window-wall. It had been cloudy. Suddenly the clouds parted, sunlight entered, and the hue of the color seemed to change----fascinating. As of right now, my new XJ will be delivered to my dealership from a dealership in a neighboring state early next week. I have only seen the color Carpathian grey in the showroom next to the window-wall. From what I get researching Carpathian grey (AND storm grey) and reading what you wrote---- the car subtly shifts color (within its range) depending on location and sunlight. I am sure it will be beautiful in any circumstance, and the "shifts" in color is truly the icing on the cake!! If you have any more insight into Carpathian grey that you care to share, I would appreciate it. In any case, thanks for the great read!!
Everyone here beat me to the post, but you get the idea.
About a year ago, Jaguar not only changed the offerings of their XE colors....they got rid of my Brit Racing Green entirely, ouch!The UK car owners seemed very sure that this WASN'T a change in paint at all--it was must a change in color NAMES. They feel sure that what's called Carpathian Grey, is exactly the same color as what used to be called Storm Grey. I haven't seen the Carpathian enough to know for myself, but the UK XE owners seem spot-perfect with their information most of the time. And it sounds like the spooky effect your described seeing against the showroom window... is exactly the behavior you get from Storm Grey. The word around the UK is also that Corris Grey is exactly the same as the previous Ammonite Grey. But I was never enthralled enough with Ammoniite to pay attention to this new Corris. So I can't be sure the Corris and Ammonite are identical.I'm going on two years with my Brit Racing Green now, and since I haven't washed the road spray off the car since after Monday's rain, no one in my neighborhood gives an attention to my car right not--it looks like that dark grey color that only looks good on Porsche 911s. No metallic flakes can be seen at all.
But if I park the car on the public street when people are shoveling snow off their sidewalks, NO ONE will risk nicking my car with their shovels, because they think it's some kind of Bentley sports car! Surrounded by white snow on a cloudy day, the car is suddenly spilling over with bright green metallic sparkles everywhere.
Yet at night, I've embarrassed myself a few times, walking right passed my car when I'm looking for it, because "that one looks too grey to be my car".
So after ail the wind, wear and washings, it still keeps doing these witchcraft personality changes. Most other buyers can't afford to spend time making repeat trips to a showroom like a nut who can't make up his mind---so they end up buying the special white, or special blue, or just black, etc. And I end up being one of the ONLY XE owners in my city who didn't "just buy it in white". When one of those other owners sees your car in the spooky mood-altering grey (Carp, Storm), they will ask you what that is! I've already had a Jag owner do the same to me on the street.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

My '14s is the original Stratus Grey zryillic. Very black at nite but very pearl grey in daytime, black top helps it look more grey.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:09 AM
Received 297 Likes on 165 Posts
The following users liked this post:
jaguny (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 05:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaguar1611
I love my Storm Grey. The color really does vary quite a bit depending on lighting and surroundings. British Racing Green is also stunning
In 2014 & 15 the BRG and IRR came in Xyrallic. Unfortunately, JLR cheapened out and those colors reverted to standard metallic in 2016.

Old 03-16-2019, 06:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I thought there was a Tsunami that wiped out the xyrallic production for a while?

Old 03-16-2019, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jaguny
I thought there was a Tsunami that wiped out the xyrallic production for a while?
I had heard that as well but, it sounded more like an urban myth.
The disruption actually occurred in 2011 and production back in place by 2012, so the change from 2015 to 2016 probably had nothing to do with the Tsunami.

Last edited by Unhingd; 03-16-2019 at 07:35 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NewLester de Rocin
Everyone here beat me to the post, but you get the idea.
About a year ago, Jaguar not only changed the offerings of their XE colors....they got rid of my Brit Racing Green entirely, ouch!The UK car owners seemed very sure that this WASN'T a change in paint at all--it was must a change in color NAMES. They feel sure that what's called Carpathian Grey, is exactly the same color as what used to be called Storm Grey. I haven't seen the Carpathian enough to know for myself, but the UK XE owners seem spot-perfect with their information most of the time. And it sounds like the spooky effect your described seeing against the showroom window... is exactly the behavior you get from Storm Grey. The word around the UK is also that Corris Grey is exactly the same as the previous Ammonite Grey. But I was never enthralled enough with Ammoniite to pay attention to this new Corris. So I can't be sure the Corris and Ammonite are identical.I'm going on two years with my Brit Racing Green now, and since I haven't washed the road spray off the car since after Monday's rain, no one in my neighborhood gives an attention to my car right not--it looks like that dark grey color that only looks good on Porsche 911s. No metallic flakes can be seen at all.
But if I park the car on the public street when people are shoveling snow off their sidewalks, NO ONE will risk nicking my car with their shovels, because they think it's some kind of Bentley sports car! Surrounded by white snow on a cloudy day, the car is suddenly spilling over with bright green metallic sparkles everywhere.
Yet at night, I've embarrassed myself a few times, walking right passed my car when I'm looking for it, because "that one looks too grey to be my car".
So after ail the wind, wear and washings, it still keeps doing these witchcraft personality changes. Most other buyers can't afford to spend time making repeat trips to a showroom like a nut who can't make up his mind---so they end up buying the special white, or special blue, or just black, etc. And I end up being one of the ONLY XE owners in my city who didn't "just buy it in white". When one of those other owners sees your car in the spooky mood-altering grey (Carp, Storm), they will ask you what that is! I've already had a Jag owner do the same to me on the street.
Thank you so very much for the further insight into Carpathian/Storm Grey, It looks like the car will arrive at my dealership this Tuesday or Wednesday, and I should have it by Thursday or Friday. I am so very psyched!! My current XJ had the pecan/truffle interior and was truly beautiful. I really loved those colors on that car----yet, I wanted something "different" for my new choice. I believe I have found just that, whether it's named "Storm" or "Carpathian"-----and it will be "different" in various ways depending on its surroundings-----simple marvelous!! Have I mentioned I am "psyched"??----Indeed!!!

Old 03-16-2019, 02:38 PM
Received 177 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
In 2014 & 15 the BRG and IRR came in Xyrallic. Unfortunately, JLR cheapened out and those colors reverted to standard metallic in 2016.
Are any of the 2016 colors xirallic? The brochure makes no mention of this.

Old 03-16-2019, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lani Kai
Are any of the 2016 colors xirallic? The brochure makes no mention of this.
I don’t believe there are unless they were offered as a very expensive SVO option.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:31 PM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Keep in mind, touch-up paint now has to be EXACTLY the Jaguar paint pencil brand, or you're going to make your life that much more a headache. …I've found that, even on simple silver-sparkle paint (the famous paint color used on most of the silver finish alloys wheels,… is impossible for the wheel painting dealerships to get right. Too whitish, or not enough metallic sparkle, or something---just noticeably not a match.

Honor your Carpathian color, let no one get near your paint (especially not those dusgusting housecats), and hang on for the ride.
Sun came out as I washed my car, and colors turned psychopathic. Candy Apple green only in the folds of the bonnet….Crayon green with no sparkles at all, everywhere else.
I predict that somewhere around next Tuesday, the car will decide to actually look like the British Racing Green from my original catalog.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:08 AM
Default So very cool!!

What a great shot of your Jag and it's "psychopathic" color change ability!! A "WOW!!" to be sure!! At one point in my life, and many years ago, I had a Lincoln Mk. VIII that was grey-----except for when conditions changed and shades of purple took over. I had never seen anything like that-----until now-------and with much greater ability to shift color. I look forward to the arrival of my new XJ in Carpathian Grey. The deep, dark metallic grey itself is a wonderful color------and the chameleon-like qualities of the Carpathian are beautiful, amazing, and special. I will indeed "honor my Carpathian"!! So very, very cool !!

Old 03-18-2019, 08:25 AM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Musictogo
What a great shot of your Jag and it's "psychopathic" color change ability!! A "WOW!!" to be sure!! At one point in my life, and many years ago, I had a Lincoln Mk. VIII that was grey-----except for when conditions changed and shades of purple took over. I had never seen anything like that-----until now-------and with much greater ability to shift color. I look forward to the arrival of my new XJ in Carpathian Grey. The deep, dark metallic grey itself is a wonderful color------and the chameleon-like qualities of the Carpathian are beautiful, amazing, and special. I will indeed "honor my Carpathian"!! So very, very cool !!
The paint on your Lincoln sounds similar to a color, Shadow Gray, from many years ago that changed from a more or less normal gray color in natural lighting into an Easter egg purple under fluorescent. I haven't seen anything like it since.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:20 PM
Default It lived a good life

I loved that Mk. VIII----and the two colors it showed----but eventually the troublesome Lincoln air ride broke (again), and it would have been a (second time) very expensive fix to do to an older car. It lived a good life. I went on to purchase a Jag----and then another----and another. I initially bought the 8 cylinder S-Type Sport rear wheel drive (black on black) because it reminded me of driving the RWD powerful/luxurious Mk. VIII-----only it was way "cooler". This time out I was ready to finally buy AWD, and page 1 of the on-line "build" your Jag said it came stock with all kinds of safety features. My wife LOVED that about it------BUT while reading the hard-cover XJ manual my dealer gave me, I discovered something on page 40 something-----a very tine footnote number leading to extremely small print mixed in with other things----It said (for almost every safety feature) "Not available on AWD"! My wife was so disappointed I cancelled my Fuji White AWD order and found the one rear wheel drive available for a good discount on the East Coast. My dealer snagged it and arranged to have it flat-topped for me from another state, and at no charge-----and it was in this WONDERFUL color I saw on an F-Type that day in the showroom. It was in a color I might never have really checked out when I was initially looking----Carpathian Grey!! Had my wife not complained about the missing safety features (bless her), I would never have found the perfect XJ for me----RWD, all the safety features AND in Carpathian Grey!! Heavy snow driving? I use my wife's AWD!

Old 03-24-2019, 08:53 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Just washed so I thought I’d upload a pic of my storm/carpathian. Second pic shows a enlarged close up of the paint flecks with

pinks yellows and greens.

Last edited by Kdes; 03-24-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:27 PM
Default Simply beautiful !!

Simply beautiful !!

Old 03-24-2019, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I had heard that as well but, it sounded more like an urban myth.
The disruption actually occurred in 2011 and production back in place by 2012, so the change from 2015 to 2016 probably had nothing to do with the Tsunami.
It is not an urban myth...the Xirallic component was unavailable after the 2015 model year because of damage caused earlier by the tsunami - the Merck plant in Japan was the only source...production of the Xirallic crystals (aluminium oxide) was resumed but as far as Jaguar was concerned, it seems that once its supplies of the Xirallic were exhausted, that was the end. The reformulation as a normal metallic, while not quite as brilliant as the Xirallic, is still beautiful. The Jaguar Xirallic colours were in the tones of BRG, red, grey...spectacular. Here is the Xirallic British Racing Green on my F-Type - note how the sun makes the colour come alive:

Last edited by sov211; 03-24-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I say bring back the xirallic. What's the issue with making more? Environmental? That was some serious pixie dust.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

I say bring back the xirallic. What's the issue with making more? Environmental? That was some serious pixie dust.
Agreed.
My old XFR was Kyanite Blue, one of the Xirallic colours, and far and away the best paint colour on any car I have ever owned.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:33 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Agreed.
My old XFR was Kyanite Blue, one of the Xirallic colours, and far and away the best paint colour on any car I have ever owned.
Amen to that, my 2010 XKR was also Kyanite Blue. Gorgeous.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member

+3.