F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Storm Wheels minus CCB kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 11:02 PM
Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Storm Wheels minus CCB kit

In case anyone is wondering what that combo looks like...

Tires are Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2, 265 and 305. No rubbing whatsoever.

Attached Thumbnails Storm Wheels minus CCB kit-image.jpg  

Last edited by Scott B; 02-09-2015 at 11:05 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Scott B:
Dremorg (02-10-2015), schraderade (02-12-2015), TimelessR (10-22-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

looks great. did u switch wheels for the tires, or just like the way the storms look?

Old 02-09-2015, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by shift
looks great. did u switch wheels for the tires, or just like the way the storms look?
Thanks! I picked up the wheels and tires as an auxiliary set for track days.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Scott B
Thanks! I picked up the wheels and tires as an auxiliary set for track days.
And plus, the Storm wheels are forged so they may be a hair lighter than my gyros. It can't be by much, though...these 20s are not light!

Old 02-10-2015, 09:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where did you source the wheels? Dealer, Ebay...? Also, if I may ask, what was the purchase price?
I just discovered this morning that my car is schedule to leave Southampton port on the 17th. I'm considering purchasing a set of Storm wheels and swapping them out once it arrives early March.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Micks41
Where did you source the wheels? Dealer, Ebay...? Also, if I may ask, what was the purchase price?
I just discovered this morning that my car is schedule to leave Southampton port on the 17th. I'm considering purchasing a set of Storm wheels and swapping them out once it arrives early March.
Midwest Wheel & Tire does not offer them. HH Jaguar F Type Wheels Rims OEM Alloy Wheel Rim does show them on their site, though you may have to keep calling them until they get a set in.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Sonoma huh...?

Old 02-10-2015, 09:47 AM

I got them off of eBay from a Jag parts place in the UK. Crazy good deal since I was the only bidder.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
Sonoma huh...?
Good eye.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:36 PM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott B
I got them off of eBay from a Jag parts place in the UK. Crazy good deal since I was the only bidder.
Curious as to what was the shipping charge from the UK for 4 wheels w/tires.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by jleuz1
Curious as to what was the shipping charge from the UK for 4 wheels w/tires.
I believe it was around $300 USD.

The following users liked this post:
jleuz1 (02-12-2015)
Old 02-12-2015, 10:28 AM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

More to the point, how are the tyres compared to oem and also do you think going bigger makes that much of a difference compared to a better tyre.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Timbo
More to the point, how are the tyres compared to oem and also do you think going bigger makes that much of a difference compared to a better tyre.
Hard to say since I did two mods ar once (compound change and wider), but I don't think there's much (any?) debate on the merits of upgrading rubber and contact patch. Lastly, the track day was mostly rained out so I really didn't get much feel for the difference. P-zeros are good tires, but Cup 2s are better. I'd like to try the new racing P-zeros at some point too..the Trofeo R. Due to the 20" diameter, there just aren't many track tire offerings from which to choose.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:07 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Scott,

Any feedback on the PSC2 so far? Thanks.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by TimelessR
Hey Scott,

Any feedback on the PSC2 so far? Thanks.
I was also curious as to road feel vrs. stock size. And any pictures from the rear available?
Are your rims stock width?
Lawrence

Old 10-22-2015, 08:28 AM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Since I now own these tires and wheels, after Scott sold the car, and then these wheels/tires, I'll answer as best I can. I never had the Pirelli's or 20" wheels prior to these, so my input may be biased by that. To me, the PSC2s are very sticky, trackable tires that are usable on the road. Usable in warm weather, with limited moisture on the road surface. Any standing water risks hydroplaning. Once warmed up, I can barely get them to break loose on a launch with my base V6. They will chirp a bit, then grab and go. Same for cornering. Absolutely stick to the road once warm. One area that I don't like them for is highway driving. These tires are very bad with tram-lining. They will really pick up the ruts on highways here in the northeast, and make for an interesting drive. I've gotten used to it now, but the first couple times I felt the car shift sideways into the grooves it was very unsettling. It's been a long time since I had a car/tires that behaved like this on a highway. I'll try to get a picture from the rear of the car tonight. The 305's definitely look very wide on this car from the rear. In a good way.

The following users liked this post:
Mulmur (10-22-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 10:31 AM

Awesome, looking forward to the pictures.

I'm torn between trying PSC2 front and rear at the 265 and 305 sizes or staying with OEM 255 and 295 with PSS. Also considering PSS in the front and PSC2 in the rear.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by TimelessR
Awesome, looking forward to the pictures.

I'm torn between trying PSC2 front and rear at the 265 and 305 sizes or staying with OEM 255 and 295 with PSS. Also considering PSS in the front and PSC2 in the rear.
Do you plan to track the car on a (semi) regular basis? Unless you plan to track it, I would not recommend the PSC2's for regular street-only driving. As I mentioned, they tram-line badly on the highway, and will hydroplane in standing water. They came with the wheels, so I am using them on the street, but once they wear out, I'll most likely replace them with PSS's. They will also wear quicker than PSS if that's important to you. Also, if you don't heat them up properly, something that's difficult to do with street driving, I've heard they will wear even quicker. They are made of a really soft compound.

You can get PSS in a 265 / 305 setup, so if it's just wider you want, you can achieve it without going to a track-type compound.

Finally, I wouldn't recommend different compound, front and rear. That particular setup you propose would be a recipe for under-steer.

What's your particular motivation for PSC2's on the rear? Are you constantly lighting up the rear end with your R? If so, and you want better grip on launches, and don't mind the frequent and expensive tire replacement, then by all means go with the softer, wider tires all around. Just be aware that they have their down-sides with street driving.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:54 AM

Pic of the rear of my car showing the width of the PSC2 in 305 size:

Old 10-23-2015, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by duprey26
Do you plan to track the car on a (semi) regular basis? Unless you plan to track it, I would not recommend the PSC2's for regular street-only driving. As I mentioned, they tram-line badly on the highway, and will hydroplane in standing water. They came with the wheels, so I am using them on the street, but once they wear out, I'll most likely replace them with PSS's. They will also wear quicker than PSS if that's important to you. Also, if you don't heat them up properly, something that's difficult to do with street driving, I've heard they will wear even quicker. They are made of a really soft compound.

You can get PSS in a 265 / 305 setup, so if it's just wider you want, you can achieve it without going to a track-type compound.

Finally, I wouldn't recommend different compound, front and rear. That particular setup you propose would be a recipe for under-steer.

What's your particular motivation for PSC2's on the rear? Are you constantly lighting up the rear end with your R? If so, and you want better grip on launches, and don't mind the frequent and expensive tire replacement, then by all means go with the softer, wider tires all around. Just be aware that they have their down-sides with street driving.

I plan on tracking the car a few times throughout the year. In terms of rain, I appreciate the input. If it's raining I'll drive a different car. Wear isn't an issue. Company expense!!

In terms of your MPG drop from running wider in both front and rear, what have you been getting?

Quick Reply: Storm Wheels minus CCB kit