F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Low Battery Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 11:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strange Low Battery Issue?

Hey guys. Hope someone maybe able to give me some guidance on likely cause of this issue:

* I'm getting a Low Battery, Start Engine message when entering or exiting the car
* However the car sits on a battery conditioner all the time, hard wired to the junction box in the boot (not direct to battery)
* battery conditioner showing its charged up?
* battery level indicator in the boot suggests low voltage even though its on charge.
* if I run the car for a good 45mins I don't get the warning message for a good week or so
* AA breakdown have tested the battery on two occasions, each time their machine says it's fine (I'm not convinced)
* Battery is the original that is now 5+ years old (so what I thought it would be)
* AA tested for a drain, but it was tricky as with the boot open the light is on. So their machine showed a very slight drain but everything wasn't shut down.
* and the drain would have to be drawing more current than the battery conditioner? It wasn't anywhere near that high.

Any ideas? Alternator is obviously ok. I still think battery? But their "computer says no" I have Parts and Labour cover with the AA so if it was deemed to be the battery they'd have to pay for a new one, at £200+

Old 04-17-2018, 11:43 AM
Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts

Its a 5yr old battery, it is absolutely the battery I say.

I suspect its holding a charge but its output ability is not what it once was, hence it not dishing out the full voltage the car needs to operate properly and these cars get pretty funny about batteries not dishing out full juice.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Five years for a battery on a car with all the modern electronics is quite a lot, in my admittedly limited experience. Most of my cars are/were before the current generation, where 5 years was typical for a well-cared for battery. My 2012 Volvo's gave up in under three and I'm on the second in my 2016 F-Type.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:51 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Got 7 years on my Range Rover Sport so did pretty well there. My F Type is 4 years old now so lets see how long before I start getting issues.

OP - this isn't the OBD port battery drain issue is it?

Old 04-17-2018, 12:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input so far all

Originally Posted by ek993

OP - this isn't the OBD port battery drain issue is it?
What is this issue?

Old 04-17-2018, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,662 Likes on 3,367 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark999
Thanks for the input so far all

What is this issue?
If your OBD port has been recently tapped into, it is likely that the battery management system needs to be rebooted by disconnecting the battery for 15+ seconds.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:37 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark999
Hey guys. Hope someone maybe able to give me some guidance on likely cause of this issue:

* I'm getting a Low Battery, Start Engine message when entering or exiting the car
* However the car sits on a battery conditioner all the time, hard wired to the junction box in the boot (not direct to battery)
* battery conditioner showing its charged up?
* battery level indicator in the boot suggests low voltage even though its on charge.
* if I run the car for a good 45mins I don't get the warning message for a good week or so
* AA breakdown have tested the battery on two occasions, each time their machine says it's fine (I'm not convinced)
* Battery is the original that is now 5+ years old (so what I thought it would be)
* AA tested for a drain, but it was tricky as with the boot open the light is on. So their machine showed a very slight drain but everything wasn't shut down.
* and the drain would have to be drawing more current than the battery conditioner? It wasn't anywhere near that high.

Any ideas? Alternator is obviously ok. I still think battery? But their "computer says no" I have Parts and Labour cover with the AA so if it was deemed to be the battery they'd have to pay for a new one, at £200+
Don't want to state the obvious but are you sure it not the key fob battery as this has a dash warning light to tell you when the key battery is low?

Old 04-17-2018, 01:12 PM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

I would assume that AA are competent to test your battery, usually I believe the battery would be disconnected from car before load testing which places a load on the battery and monitors how much the voltage drops under load over a certain time

As others have suggested modern batteries can last longer than earlier batteries, provided they aren't heavily discharged or left discharged .

If you do need a new battery, good quality battery available for below £200.

see this