Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange window auto-indexing behavior

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts
Default Strange window auto-indexing behavior

So, here's something that is reproducible on my car, and I wanted to know if anyone else experiences the same.

1. Unlock car
2. Give a partial tug on the handle and the windows index down as expected
3. Open and close door (stay outside), window indexes up as expected
4. With the car still unlocked, give another tug on the handle and the windows will not index down. In fact, when I open the door, they make a slightly unsavory noise from popping out from under the weather stripping and trim above the window line.

From inside the car they will index down every time a door handle is used, regardless of whether or not you ever locked the doors. But from outside, my windows will only index down once per lock-unlock cycle.

Anyone else notice this?

Will this harm anything?

Old 06-10-2016, 09:18 PM
Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Mine index down every time I touch the handle. Have you tried a window reset?
Disconnect the positive on the battery and perform the reset.

Attached Thumbnails Strange window auto-indexing behavior-window-reset.png  
Old 06-11-2016, 07:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Has anyone recently tapped into your ODB II connector? I have noticed that under those circumstances, not only is the Energy Control Module affected, allowing the battery to drain overnight, but some or all of the window indexing is affected. Standard procedure now after taking car to dealer or plugging into the ODB II is to temporarily disconnect the battery and reprogram any window no longer indexing properly.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Has anyone recently tapped into your ODB II connector? I have noticed that under those circumstances, not only is the Energy Control Module affected, allowing the battery to drain overnight, but some or all of the window indexing is affected. Standard procedure now after taking car to dealer or plugging into the ODB II is to temporarily disconnect the battery and reprogram any window no longer indexing properly.
I'll try the window reset but it's weird that they will index the first time you open the door and not on subsequent tries (until you lock and unlock again).