F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stuffing/pillow-like thing behind the fender liners always wet from drains above

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 02:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default stuffing/pillow-like thing behind the fender liners always wet from drains above

Trying to figure out if this is just a poor design, or if this is how it's supposed to be. I had the fender liners off for a project recently, and discovered those black pillows they used as stuffing/sound deadening (?) behind the fender liners. However, each one was sopping wet despite not having any water exposure in well over a month. I got distracted by my project, so I just wrung them out and re-fluffed them and stuffed them back in where I found them. All 4 wheel wells had these wet pillows stuffed in them.

Last week, I drove through a torrential downpour, and was curious about an unrelated drain suspicion I had, so I popped the hood to take a peek. My suspicions were correct, the windshield/hood drains are situated exactly over a bunch of wiring on each corner of the engine bay, and a drain at the bottom of each seems to lead directly onto those pillows. Nevermind the wiring being exposed to lots of water during wet driving, I'm now wondering if those pillows are supposed to be there, and if they're supposed to hold a ton of water?