F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stutter/hesitation on throttle application from stopped position.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2021, 03:22 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Stutter/hesitation on throttle application from stopped position.

So, unlike the myriad other issues happening, I've finally been able to figure out how to replicate this problem. It feels almost like a manual clutch would when slipping before "catching" into 1st(2nd, actually) gear from neutral when stopped. I understand that our cars don't start from a stop in 1st, but in 2nd.

When applying throttle from a stop, if I remove my foot from the brake and wait 1-2 seconds before touching the throttle, the stumble never happens. However, if I move my foot from the brake to the throttle in my natural movement, it *usually* causes it to stumble. Like the ECU hasn't registered yet that it needs to be in gear and ready to go before I touch the throttle, so it catches and stumbles before engaging.

I don't know what the problem could be. The dealership said maybe I apply throttle too fast - I asked them to apply the fix from Service Bulletin SSM73809, which they did, and there's no change. It's beyond frustrating, as my usual driving habits don't make this happen on any other automatic vehicle I drive.

Old 11-08-2021, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

What happens if you power brake it? Does it take off when you lift the brake...or stumble then too? HAs the Transmission fluid ever been changed? Mileage? Just thinking the Torque Converter or clutch may not be grabbing? I can punch mine all day and no stumbles..same with power braking.

DC

Old 11-08-2021, 03:47 PM

I had to look up power braking - and nope, never done it, so no idea. When I lift off the brake, the car just stays still, does not move forward on its own...depending on how long I've been stopped. For only a moment or two - then it will roll forward as if it's in gear. For more than a couple moments, it stays still as if in neutral.

Mileage is 28k. Never changed trans fluid.

Typing that out, a lightbulb just flicked on for me. I wonder if the auto start/stop feature has something to do with it. I pulled the fuse for it as soon as I got the car, because I would touch the gas before the stop/start function realized I'd released the brake, causing all sorts of nonsense. Meaning there was throttle input while the car was waking back up...I thus wonder if that's why the service bulletin fix didn't work, since the auto stop/start fuse was pulled when the update was loaded?

Doesn't make a ton of sense though, since you don't have the issue (and I can only assume you've also pulled that fuse, seems like we all have)

EDIT - I didn't pull a fuse. It was a plug in the trunk.

Last edited by jlewis10; 11-08-2021 at 04:04 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 11-08-2021, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by jlewis10
I had to look up power braking - and nope, never done it, so no idea. When I lift off the brake, the car just stays still, does not move forward on its own...depending on how long I've been stopped. For only a moment or two - then it will roll forward as if it's in gear. For more than a couple moments, it stays still as if in neutral.

Mileage is 28k. Never changed trans fluid.

Typing that out, a lightbulb just flicked on for me. I wonder if the auto start/stop feature has something to do with it. I pulled the fuse for it as soon as I got the car, because I would touch the gas before the stop/start function realized I'd released the brake, causing all sorts of nonsense. Meaning there was throttle input while the car was waking back up...I thus wonder if that's why the service bulletin fix didn't work, since the auto stop/start fuse was pulled when the update was loaded?

Doesn't make a ton of sense though, since you don't have the issue (and I can only assume you've also pulled that fuse, seems like we all have)
Are you sure you pulled a fuse?
Coz to disable the SS on a 2016 onwards (with the single battery) you don't pull a fuse, instead you pull a wiring plug in the boot/trunk.
And again IIRC if there is a fuse for the SS system it also applies to a couple of other things and not just the SS system.

Old 11-08-2021, 04:03 PM

OH - no, you are absolutely correct. My memory is shot. It wasn't a fuse, it was a plug in the trunk.

Old 11-08-2021, 05:15 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the exact same thing going on in my 2016 'R and while I do find it annoying, this wouldn't be the first or second automatic transmission car I notice this in; I've come to think it's relatively normal (and by normal, I mean that it won't damage anything else if allowed to persist, although I could be wrong). Auto start/stop is also disabled in my car, it's got nothing to do with that. When I floor it from a stop, there is no lurch or hesitation, it's perfectly smooth, and as you say, the issue is gone if I wait a second before pressing on the gas from a stop. At this point I figure it's just a quirk of the drivetrain.

Old 11-08-2021, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

The manual transmission models hold the parking brake to keep the car from rolling backwards after letting off the brakes. Is there any sure feature for the automatics? Just throwing the idea out there, since I have no way to check or test it either way.

Old 11-08-2021, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Yes - that was my thought too. Strange that the car doesn't roll forward when you lift off the brakes. Mine is held stationary when I shift into gear until I start to press the gas. That releases the parking brake and it starts to move. After that the moment I lift off the brake pedal the car starts to roll fwd as you'd expect

Sounds on yours like parking brake maybe activating?

Old 11-08-2021, 06:54 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
The manual transmission models hold the parking brake to keep the car from rolling backwards after letting off the brakes. Is there any sure feature for the automatics? Just throwing the idea out there, since I have no way to check or test it either way.
Unless the car is programmed specifically not to illuminate the "hold" or "park" light in the gauge cluster upon doing this (and the '16 R only has the latter to my knowledge), I don't think it can be this either; I've driven newer range rovers that do what you're describing and when that feature is engaged, a green "hold" light illuminates in the gauge cluster. I also see no mention of it in the manual for my '16 R.

Old 11-09-2021, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by MrKhacheerio
I have the exact same thing going on in my 2016 'R and while I do find it annoying, this wouldn't be the first or second automatic transmission car I notice this in; I've come to think it's relatively normal (and by normal, I mean that it won't damage anything else if allowed to persist, although I could be wrong). Auto start/stop is also disabled in my car, it's got nothing to do with that. When I floor it from a stop, there is no lurch or hesitation, it's perfectly smooth, and as you say, the issue is gone if I wait a second before pressing on the gas from a stop. At this point I figure it's just a quirk of the drivetrain.
That actually makes me feel a little better! These cars have so many odd quirks on them, and I'm never sure what's a problem vs what's personality, lol. And yes, there are no issues with heavy throttle application - it goes, and goes smoothly. So, thank you for sharing your insight.

Originally Posted by MrKhacheerio
Unless the car is programmed specifically not to illuminate the "hold" or "park" light in the gauge cluster upon doing this (and the '16 R only has the latter to my knowledge), I don't think it can be this either; I've driven newer range rovers that do what you're describing and when that feature is engaged, a green "hold" light illuminates in the gauge cluster. I also see no mention of it in the manual for my '16 R.
Agree - I've played with the parking brake in several variations, and every time it's engaged the light illuminates and I can hear it engage (in a very quiet environment anyway). Not sure I'd hear it with the engine on, but the light never comes on while in gear at a stop on its own.

Old 06-27-2022, 02:03 PM

Forgive me for bumping this one up, but the issue seems to be getting more noticeable throughout the driving season; curious if anyone has any further advice.

Old 06-27-2022, 05:02 PM
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm considering buying a 2016 with the MT. I've heard about clutch issues and multiple revisions by Jaguar. Any advice on the MT or clutch?

Old 06-30-2022, 11:46 AM

You may have the wrong thread, jehart; might want to search the forum or post your question on a relevant thread to get better responses.

Old 06-30-2022, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by jehart49
I'm considering buying a 2016 with the MT. I've heard about clutch issues and multiple revisions by Jaguar. Any advice on the MT or clutch?
The advice would be to make sure that the clutch has been upgraded to the latest version (4th version?).

The following users liked this post:
scm (06-30-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 02:07 PM
rbr
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

These cars will shift to neutral at a stop, part of the start/stop programming, even if s/s is disabled. There is a bit of lag for the tranny to re-engage, so if you hit the gas quickly there is a clunk and jerk. Both my AT Jags have done this since new, so pretty sure it's "normal".

Old 06-30-2022, 02:23 PM
Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by rbr
These cars will shift to neutral at a stop, part of the start/stop programming, even if s/s is disabled. There is a bit of lag for the tranny to re-engage, so if you hit the gas quickly there is a clunk and jerk. Both my AT Jags have done this since new, so pretty sure it's "normal".
Ive never had this issue

'15 R Coupe

Old 06-30-2022, 02:54 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by rbr
These cars will shift to neutral at a stop, part of the start/stop programming, even if s/s is disabled.
Do you mean the N lights up on the shifter? Mine doesn't do anything like that, and I've also never experienced your "normal" behaviour.

Old 06-30-2022, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by rbr
Yup, this is exactly the behavior I experience. At least I know I'm not alone in this one.

Old 06-30-2022, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by rbr
Mine has never done this and it's a MY 2015, albeit V6 not V8, and I disabled the start/stop on day one over 5 years ago and completely removed the secondary battery about two years ago.
How do I know?
Coz I am in the habit of putting it in N myself (and applying the EPB) whenever I come to a stop and know/guestimate I will be stopped for more than about 30 seconds, and if I don't do this it most definitely stays in D and wants to creep off if I don't keep my foot on the whoa pedal.

Last edited by OzXFR; 07-01-2022 at 12:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
scm (07-01-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 09:57 PM
Received 163 Likes on 104 Posts

Makes sense that it would shift into Neutral if stop start was activated but no sense if not using it or if you have disabled it.

Mine has never done it though, . Must make simple parking and aligning/ adjusting the car much more difficult than needs to be.

Are you sure is is not just the auto-hold disengaging that is giving the clunk and jerk forward. Just disable it and see . Auto-hold does not illuminate in the cluster as far as i know as it is not actually the park brake function.

Obviously there will be a bigger clunk and stumble if you floor it with the autohold ON ,hence why you dont notice it with gentle start offs

Quick Reply: Stutter/hesitation on throttle application from stopped position.