Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger coupler rattle

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts
Default Supercharger coupler rattle

Sorry to start a new thread on this subject, but I need to ask a specific question about it.
When I first got the F-Type S some 16 months ago I noticed it had a rattly engine which I quickly diagnosed as the dreaded supercharger coupler / torsion isolator rattle. Around 26,000 km or 18,000 miles on it at the time.
I took the car into my local JLR dealership (the only one within 700 km) and they diagnosed the rattle as a dodgy supercharger belt tensioner, which I didn't agree with but I went ahead with a free under warranty change of this tensioner.
That made no difference at all so I took the car back to the dealership a couple of weeks later and this time they agreed it was the SC coupler, so they applied the relevant TSB and replaced the whole snout of the supercharger including the coupler, again under warranty. Or so they said! I noticed hardly any change in the rattle, at best it was very slightly less often and less loud, and I've never been convinced they really did anything. Most times it's only loud at cold start-up and drops down to a more mild rattle once the engine is warm, but it has been getting louder and more consistant.
A few months ago I started to hear the dreaded "clunk on shutdown" which is one of the symptoms of a stuffed coupler. Not every time I shut the engine down, more like every tenth time.
A couple of weeks ago I started to hear a more high-pitched whirring/scraping sound from the engine bay, similar to the sound a worn bearing makes, on top of the now normal rattle. The rattle comes and goes but the whir is fairly constant and increases with revs. It's not loud, just enough to hear over the top of the other noises. It doesn't sound anything like a slipping or worn belt, it's definitely a metallic sound.
I thought it might be the bearing in the secondary high pressure fuel pump but I now don't think it is, coz I got my trusty engine stethoscope out and had a good listen all around the engine. 99% of the rattles and whirs are coming from the supercharger area and no odd noises from the fuel pumps other than the expected pulsing.
I'm now fairly sure all the "wrong" noises are caused by the SC coupler being worn. The car has now done just shy of 40,000 km / 26,000 miles.
The warranty expires in 11 days time and I have the car booked in at an independent shop for the three year service on the same day, after that I intend to do all servicing myself.
So, after all that, my main question is "what harm could be done by not replacing the suspected worn coupler?" Put another way, how long can I leave it before the coupler really packs up and causes other problems, or will it just go on rattling for ages without being a problem other than the noise?
I have decided there is no point going back to the dealership to see about another warranty / TSB replacement of the coupler, as they will either say "there is nothing wrong with it" or they will pretend to replace it again, I do not trust this dealer at all.
If I get the independent shop to replace the coupler how much do you think it would cost? I'm prepared to pay up to $1,000 for the job but not much more.

The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
DouglasXKR (07-13-2022), QP7 (02-11-2024)
Old 01-04-2018, 07:20 AM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

I'd take it back to the dealer so at least they will be on notice of the issue. That way if it fails in a month or so you likely will get it covered under warranty.

The following users liked this post:
QP7 (01-28-2024)
Old 01-04-2018, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

This is known issue, search for Cadillac SC rattler. There is updated part that allows you to address this issue. However, this should be warranty item and you might even get new SC.

Also good news - this rattle is not in any way dangerous.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

I got an entirely new supercharger because the damage was so extensive and I never even heard a rattle from it. The issue I was complaining about ended up being valvetrain related. Sounds like you need to try a different dealer, which might mean shipping it to Melbourne.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:34 PM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

See the attached TSB, it explains how to test for worn coupler (remove supercharger belt and test for play whikst rotating by hand.

It goes on to explain which symptoms indicate a replacement coupler is needed and which additional symptoms indicate the entire supercharger should be replaced.

I would push for warranty rectification.

Attached Files

Last edited by Paul_59; 01-04-2018 at 02:38 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Paul_59:
SinF (01-05-2018), The_Ikon (02-05-2022), Unhingd (10-13-2020)
Old 01-04-2018, 03:44 PM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_59
See the attached TSB, it explains how to test for worn coupler (remove supercharger belt and test for play whikst rotating by hand.

It goes on to explain which symptoms indicate a replacement coupler is needed and which additional symptoms indicate the entire supercharger should be replaced.

I would push for warranty rectification.
Oh man... would hate to be one of those who'd swapped my SC pulley and then run into an issue like this. Obviously its a factory fault but it you'd have hell convincing JLR to uphold the warranty.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Our 2015 LR4 has the 340 SC engine, and I have had a rattling noise as Ozxfr describes. Does anyone know if Landrover has issued a similar TSB?

Old 01-08-2018, 11:53 PM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Is this for 5L only or should 3L people be on the lookout too? Good luck Oz!

Old 01-09-2018, 12:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Misujerr
Is this for 5L only or should 3L people be on the lookout too? Good luck Oz!
It effects both 5L and 3L, mine is a 3L.
Just different TSBs, although I suspect the coupler itself is identical.
Different TSBs because the 5L and 3L superchargers are different with different snouts and the warranty fix is to replace the entire snout of the supercharger.
If it really packs up on mine (fingers crossed it never will!) then I will get just the coupler changed.

Misujerr (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
It effects both 5L and 3L, mine is a 3L.
Just different TSBs, although I suspect the coupler itself is identical.
Different TSBs because the 5L and 3L superchargers are different with different snouts and the warranty fix is to replace the entire snout of the supercharger.
If it really packs up on mine (fingers crossed it never will!) then I will get just the coupler changed.
Jag does not offer the coupler separately (have to buy the whole snout). Do you know where to get the coupler alone?

Old 01-09-2018, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Jag does not offer the coupler separately (have to buy the whole snout). Do you know where to get the coupler alone?
Cadillac CTS-V people had the same issue and there is updated part. Some also made an aftermarket solid coupler.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
Cadillac CTS-V people had the same issue and there is updated part. Some also made an aftermarket solid coupler.
Yep, heaps on Fleabay, just search under "Eaton supercharger coupler", including rebuild kits with bearings and oil.
But it's very hard to tell which ones are for the TVS R series superchargers as opposed to the earlier M series, and in turn which ones work for the 3.0.
Here's one that is specifically advertised for the 3.0, but it looks nothing like the OEM part or the other "solid green" ones: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine...pWXjZR&vxp=mtr

Unhingd (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

A sound / video clip of this would be great

goodfodder (10-18-2020)
Old 09-13-2020, 02:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Gang.

As always the contributions here are a savor when dealing with dealers and independent shops.

So I have a 2014 F-Type S Convertible with ~63k miles on it and alas I too now have the super charger rattle and I will need to replace my isolator.

My shop asked if I knew off hand if there are any special tools needed to get the supercharger off, as they mentioned other older/other models needed special curved wrenches to get around parts during the disassembly. They said they would check, but I was curious if anyone else here has had the work done with an independent shop that was nice enough to explain the process and if any special tools were needed.

Also incase anyone was wondering, my dealer quoted me $2459.11 for parts and labor. I do not have the extended warranty, which I'm almost glad I don't even have to attempt that fight.

Old 09-14-2020, 11:22 AM
Received 119 Likes on 68 Posts

Just replace it with a solid isolator. That spring on the stock isolator digs itself into the shaft overtime, and then you will have bigger issues. So replacing it with another stock one will not permanently fix the issue. When I took mines out, it had already started digging its way in.

QP7 (01-28-2024)
Old 09-14-2020, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrance39
Just replace it with a solid isolator. That spring on the stock isolator digs itself into the shaft overtime, and then you will have bigger issues. So replacing it with another stock one will not permanently fix the issue. When I took mines out, it had already started digging its way in.
For future reference which part/source do you recommend? Also do you remove the whole SC from the engine or just the snout to replace the isolator?

Old 09-14-2020, 11:48 AM
Received 119 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
For future reference which part/source do you recommend? Also do you remove the whole SC from the engine or just the snout to replace the isolator?
To get the snout off you will have to tilt the supercharger up a little. It's not a hard job at all. I found the isolator on ebay. Just search Eaton supercharger isolator or coupler.

The following 3 users liked this post by Terrance39:
JgaXkr (09-14-2020), Pete M (08-28-2021), Reaxions (04-07-2022)
Old 09-14-2020, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Thanks

Old 09-14-2020, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

Here's what came up for me. Anyone run one for many miles or years? PLASTIC. And,they don't look the same as the above picture?

Supercharger Parts Dot Com New Genuine EATON Supercharger Isolator 3.0 Liter Jaguar Land Rover Range

or

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine...-/112433704125

Old 09-14-2020, 03:56 PM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Christopher G. Erckert
Hi Gang.

As always the contributions here are a savor when dealing with dealers and independent shops.

So I have a 2014 F-Type S Convertible with ~63k miles on it and alas I too now have the super charger rattle and I will need to replace my isolator.

My shop asked if I knew off hand if there are any special tools needed to get the supercharger off, as they mentioned other older/other models needed special curved wrenches to get around parts during the disassembly. They said they would check, but I was curious if anyone else here has had the work done with an independent shop that was nice enough to explain the process and if any special tools were needed.

Also incase anyone was wondering, my dealer quoted me $2459.11 for parts and labor. I do not have the extended warranty, which I'm almost glad I don't even have to attempt that fight.
I can't tell from your post whether your F Type is 5.0l V8 or 3.0l V6

The following details are for 5.0L V8

Part required C2D52713

This is the front "snout " of the supercharger, it's available from Jaguar dealers at $390

Labour time for replacement of the part under warranty are 3.7 hours

I would think that the price quoted for parts and labour is excessive.

Quick Reply: Supercharger coupler rattle