F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger Oil Change & Extra Project - Symposer Removal!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts
Default Supercharger Oil Change & Extra Project - Symposer Removal!

Sooooo....I decided to change the Supercharger oil today with some Eaton Synthetic replacement oil (I ordered the kit previously)....

I started pulling items out of the way and then got to the Symposer - Which is right in the way of the drain plug for the SC! Just my opinion, but that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of (The Symposer)
Read up on it a bit, and decided it is just junk in the engine bay....So I decided to rip it out too...Geez, that is a hard item to remove...But I was determined, and I no longer have all of that Symposer crap in the engine bay.
Looked up the diagram of the components, and ended up making a plug for the port on the intake side, and one for the hole in the firewall where the "Feedback Device" attaches to the passenger compartment.
This ended up taking wayyyy longer than the SC oil change, but all done now! I ended up just cutting and breaking the body portion to get it out. The only other way would have been to remove part of the cooling system. They wedged
that thing in there.

SC Oil was a little brown after ~25K Miles and smelled like a dog's **** gland...But not too bad looking. I fished around for a while and only was able to get out about 90 ML (~ 3.1 FL OZ)?? It was supposed to have about 5-7 FL OZ...So I filled it back with about 5 FL OZ. Not too bad of a job, once you get that Symposer contraption out of the way! The other challenge (As always) it that AT&T size Cable harness that looks like part of the AARPnet running across the back of the engine!

Fired it up and revved a bit and no issues. Have not been able to drive it yet, but maybe tomorrow.

DC

SC Drain/Fill Plug

Fill/Drain tool

Removed this thing...I can hear the engine just fine!

The following 4 users liked this post by Therock88:
blgN8 (10-18-2022), Paul_59 (12-06-2020), Reaxions (05-12-2022), Sparky H (12-06-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 08:06 PM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

DC, do you think you were 2.5 oz low from the factory?
Or is possible that some of it is trapped in the housing?
Are you concerned that now you may be overfilled?
Sorry for all the questions but that seems very concerning to me.

Old 12-05-2020, 08:17 PM

Here is a thought, you could extract the new oil and see if you get the same amount out.
I would be very concerned about overfilling a sealed SC unit, unless these units have some sort of breather that would release any extra pressure created by overfill.

Old 12-05-2020, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by madmax1911
DC, do you think you were 2.5 oz low from the factory?
Or is possible that some of it is trapped in the housing?
Are you concerned that now you may be overfilled?
Sorry for all the questions but that seems very concerning to me.
Here is a thought, you could extract the new oil and see if you get the same amount out.
I would be very concerned about overfilling a sealed SC unit, unless these units have some sort of breather that would release any extra pressure created by overfill.
Hi there, and thanks.

I fished around quite a bit and feel I got most all out. I was going side to side, up and down, and turning the tube and getting air bubbles, so it appears it was a bit low? But who knows.

As I looked again at what I did, I verified it was ~ 90 ML out, which is not the 150 ML it should have had. When I looked again at the bottle and what was left (Eaton Oil Fill Bottle) I put about 4.1 OZ ~ 120 ML back in. Most of what I have read/found suggest a 5.1 OZ fill, so I should be OK. It is a closed case, but it appears the components just bathe in the oil, and I feel I am pretty close, so not too concerned...But we shall see! I have actually seen some posts/articles/videos that suggest filling to the fill hole and then stop (which none came out on mine).
And have not seen any of them come back with "Sploded" SCs. So I am comfortable with what I have in there now....And also have read some SC companies' manuals suggesting different levels based on driving conditions?

I agree, if it suggests 5 +/- OZ and I put two quarts....I would be worried, but +/- 1 OZ...not too concerned. I guess we will know if I am posting about my new SC install, or rebuild

The hardest task of the day was that stupid Symposer...OMG, that was a total B@tch to get out of there! And what a useless piece of equipment. Next, they will install MP# of engine sounds and a hidden speaker in the dash...Oh wait, I think BMW does that now??

Take care,
DC

The following users liked this post:
Mbourne (12-07-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 10:35 PM
Received 115 Likes on 66 Posts

Nice work! Im not brave enough to be tearing into my engine bay. I always thought the sc oil shares oil with the crankcase., I learned something. 😁 So what is the recommended sc oil change interval? How much did that dr suess quadoodler you took out weigh?

Old 12-06-2020, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Therock88
Hi there, and thanks.

I fished around quite a bit and feel I got most all out. I was going side to side, up and down, and turning the tube and getting air bubbles, so it appears it was a bit low? But who knows.

As I looked again at what I did, I verified it was ~ 90 ML out, which is not the 150 ML it should have had. When I looked again at the bottle and what was left (Eaton Oil Fill Bottle) I put about 4.1 OZ ~ 120 ML back in. Most of what I have read/found suggest a 5.1 OZ fill, so I should be OK. It is a closed case, but it appears the components just bathe in the oil, and I feel I am pretty close, so not too concerned...But we shall see! I have actually seen some posts/articles/videos that suggest filling to the fill hole and then stop (which none came out on mine).
And have not seen any of them come back with "Sploded" SCs. So I am comfortable with what I have in there now....And also have read some SC companies' manuals suggesting different levels based on driving conditions?

I agree, if it suggests 5 +/- OZ and I put two quarts....I would be worried, but +/- 1 OZ...not too concerned. I guess we will know if I am posting about my new SC install, or rebuild

The hardest task of the day was that stupid Symposer...OMG, that was a total B@tch to get out of there! And what a useless piece of equipment. Next, they will install MP# of engine sounds and a hidden speaker in the dash...Oh wait, I think BMW does that now??

Take care,
DC
Do you have any photos of the Symposer removal as well as the hardware you used to plug the holes?

Old 12-06-2020, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 19FRG
Nice work! Im not brave enough to be tearing into my engine bay. I always thought the sc oil shares oil with the crankcase., I learned something. 😁 So what is the recommended sc oil change interval? How much did that dr suess quadoodler you took out weigh?
Haha...well, like many items on this car, the information is scarce or conflicting and mysterious That said, the official word on the SC, is it is Lifetime Oil and does not need to be changed. So then what is "Lifetime"? Likely to JLR, that means under normal driving conditions, with no modifications, and until the warranty ends so they are off the hook (this is my slightly cynical interpretation). If you look around, lots of people have lots of opinions on that. I just figured it was something to do, and since I have modded the crap out of the car, and perhaps drive it a little harder (not abusive) than some, I OVER-maintain it ( I do that on all my cars).

On the "Horton Hears A Who" apparatus It was just a pile of junk under the hood, and messy (and useless IMO)...I would say all the pieces sitting on my bench and in the garbage weighed 2-3 Lbs. tops? Just unnecessary and was in my way! It really cleaned up the engine bay (rear), and if I need to check/change SC oil again, it will take 15-20 minutes tops.

DC

BTW: Here is what I used to change it...

Last edited by Therock88; 12-06-2020 at 08:22 AM.
Mbourne (12-07-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
Do you have any photos of the Symposer removal as well as the hardware you used to plug the holes?
I did not take a lot of photos of the destruction/fabrication. I will pull some off of my phone if I have any that may be helpful and add them here later. It really does not do much, so anything to plug will work...Especially the piece on the firewall.

Once the pieces and brackets are all out (PIA)....You just plug the tube from the intake and the one on the firewall. All the middle parts are now gone.

I had a black plastic cap/cover, that fit over the intake tube (Cut it down to the nub at the fitting) and used E6000 sealant, and a hose clamp and prayed it all black, just to be clean looking.

On the firewall piece, I used the same hose clamp and cut the hose off about 1 - 1 1/2 inches long, and had another hard plastic cap that I wedged into the end of the hose and uses a plastic repair tool (like a soldering iron essentially) o seal/melt it together.
I am not even sure you need to plug that one....I just did, because it was there.

I will say, to get it all out, I used destructive methods. I drilled holes in the box portion, then used large cutters and just broke away material until it would slide out. The bolts on the Intake hose and bottom bracket take some patience and are difficult to reach also. It is apparent JLR did not foresee or want this to ever come out!

Will see what other pics I have, and/or if I can snap a shot now/later.

DC

EDIT / ADD:

Here are two images for the plugging.

Last edited by Therock88; 12-06-2020 at 08:40 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Therock88:
HermanWiegman (04-19-2024), JgaXkr (12-06-2020), Mbourne (12-07-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 07:52 AM

Hi there, and thanks.

Take care,
DC
Hopefully all will be good and probably will be.
I think when I read your post it awakened a memory from back in the day when my company upgraded some high speed industrial blowers and we kept having catastrophic failures. Turned out that we were overfilling the sealed bearing housings and after running for a while they were blowing out the seals and loosing all of the oil, five minutes later the bearings would seize, weld to the shaft, melt the bearing blocks and catch fire. At about 60k per failure + the lost production we had everybody and the their brothers looking into it and it still took 3 failures to figure it out. I don't remember exactly how much we were overfilling but it was less than 10%.
Probably apples to oranges but it definitely triggered my concern emotion. (Jeez I have got to stop hanging around millennials, first I'm Triggered next I will be Woke )
MM

Old 12-06-2020, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member

Hopefully all will be good and probably will be.
I think when I read your post it awakened a memory from back in the day when my company upgraded some high speed industrial blowers and we kept having catastrophic failures. Turned out that we were overfilling the sealed bearing housings and after running for a while they were blowing out the seals and loosing all of the oil, five minutes later the bearings would seize, weld to the shaft, melt the bearing blocks and catch fire. At about 60k per failure + the lost production we had everybody and the their brothers looking into it and it still took 3 failures to figure it out. I don't remember exactly how much we were overfilling but it was less than 10%.
Probably apples to oranges but it definitely triggered my concern emotion. (Jeez I have got to stop hanging around millennials, first I'm Triggered next I will be Woke )
MM
Haha. Appreciate it, and definitely valid concerns/thoughts. I could certainly be wrong, and we may find out.....I have just not found much to support .5 - 1 OZ over or under will kill them. I even saw a couple fill them until the oil ran out of the hole, and some even suggest that. Others say things like DO NOT OVERFILL!!!! (But what constitutes overfilling...1 Oz, 12 Oz, a Gallon? There isn't much good info other than most say 5.1 OZ Fill...But no way to know if you got all of the original out without removing the SC and tipping it to drain for a while). Would be nice if they just had a freakin dipstick.

And you have not been hanging around Millenials too much, because Like every other Like word, Like would have been Like...Ya know what I Like mean?

Sounds like you know your tech/engineering stuff...So if she SPLODES , I am coming to see you! haha

DC

Old 12-06-2020, 08:57 AM

Haha. Appreciate it, and definitely valid concerns/thoughts. I could certainly be wrong, and we may find out.....I have just not found much to support .5 - 1 OZ over or under will kill them. I even saw a couple fill them until the oil ran out of the hole, and some even suggest that. Others say things like DO NOT OVERFILL!!!! (But what constitutes overfilling...1 Oz, 12 Oz, a Gallon? There isn't much good info other than most say 5.1 OZ Fill...But no way to know if you got all of the original out without removing the SC and tipping it to drain for a while). Would be nice if they just had a freakin dipstick.

And you have not been hanging around Millenials too much, because Like every other Like word, Like would have been Like...Ya know what I Like mean?

Sounds like you know your tech/engineering stuff...So if she SPLODES , I am coming to see you! haha

DC
Would be nice if they just had a freakin dipstick
Her majesties minions do not allow dipsticks to be used on a Jaguar

Like reeeeeeally !!!!!!!

Not exactly but have been in chemical manufacturing and production most of my career.
So if she SPLODES, I do have an awesome set of TV repair man tools, bud

Old 12-06-2020, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member

I was able to take the car out for a test drive today. I did quite a few hard acceleration runs so the Supercharger was loaded and the Meth/Water was spraying. Ran great and smooth...No funny noises or other issues, and no 'Sploded SC. Also was interested to see if I got any CEL's or other issues from the removal of that Symposer...All good... No CELs and nothing weird...Just motor sound from the front and exhaust sound from the rear like you would expect (except on my 997 Turbo where both come from the rear!)....and no piped in sound.

So appears all good for now and running great. We'll see over time if any adverse effects.

DC

Old 12-06-2020, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

Just motor sound from the front and exhaust sound from the rear like you would expect (except on my 997 Turbo where both come from the rear!)....and no piped in sound.

So appears all good for now and running great. We'll see over time if any adverse effects.

DC
Not sure about the SC, but the Symposer defeat has absolutely no downsides; it's all positive. As I've pointed out for years now: engine noises from the front, exhaust noises from the back. Defeating it is two minutes work. I'd love to remove it, but it appears to be a medium-sized job with the only benefit at this point of tidiness. I'll wait until I'm in there for something else. The whole thing is a dunzel.

Old 12-06-2020, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Not sure about the SC, but the Symposer defeat has absolutely no downsides; it's all positive. As I've pointed out for years now: engine noises from the front, exhaust noises from the back. Defeating it is two minutes work. I'd love to remove it, but it appears to be a medium-sized job with the only benefit at this point of tidiness. I'll wait until I'm in there for something else. The whole thing is a dunzel.
Agree 100%. I did see one of your old posts and was part of my motivation to remove the system. I had to get it out of the way to get to the SC Plug anyway....So why not! Removing it to save the parts would be crazy hard, but destroying it as you go, is not as bad, but still took more time than my initial goal of changing the SC oil! What made it difficult is lots of blind spots where you cannot see what is catching...and not wanting to break stuff...You have to really look around for a while. If I had to do it again, it would take 1/3 the time.

It is much cleaner in the bay now for sure...You can look down the backside and see the transmission clearly!

Take care,
DC

The following 2 users liked this post by Therock88:
JgaXkr (12-07-2020), schuss (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 04:02 PM
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

I can’t imaging 30 ml or 1 ounce would be considered overfilled.

Therock88 (12-08-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 06:12 PM
Received 64 Likes on 5 Posts

I have my SC on the bench and have tipped it upside down in all directions to fully empty the oil.
I have only got out 65ml (2.2fl oz)- it's a V6 3.0 so i believe that's a Eaton TVS 1320 SC
The oil is filthy.
This link https://superchargersonline.com/2011...ger-oil-chart/ shows an oil capacity of 150ml (5.1fl oz) for this supercharger.
This seems like a lot (more than half) of oil to lose in 65000km 5 years. Were these underfilled at the factory?
Have I made a mistake??

Cheers

George

Old 12-24-2020, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by adent
I have my SC on the bench and have tipped it upside down in all directions to fully empty the oil.
I have only got out 65ml (2.2fl oz)- it's a V6 3.0 so i believe that's a Eaton TVS 1320 SC
The oil is filthy.
This link https://superchargersonline.com/2011...ger-oil-chart/ shows an oil capacity of 150ml (5.1fl oz) for this supercharger.
This seems like a lot (more than half) of oil to lose in 65000km 5 years. Were these underfilled at the factory?
Have I made a mistake??

Cheers

George
You are correct. Everything I found indicates a fill of 5.1 - 5.2 Fl Oz for a fill. So 2.2 Oz drain does seem pretty low. Mine had ~25K miles and I got out about was just shy of the full fill amount with suction. I would just fill it up with the right amount when you put it back in. And maybe just check it after a period of time to see? It is simple enough to check/change.

Good luck,
DC

Old 12-25-2020, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

just check it after a period of time to see? It is simple enough to check/change.

DC
Why am I thinking that it is DIFFICULT to change or check? I thought everything was buried in the F.

'Scuze me for being lazy today (Santa is coming) but pls post the procedure for checking supercharger oil. (If you are busy too, I'll look for it tomorrow...)

Old 12-25-2020, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Why am I thinking that it is DIFFICULT to change or check? I thought everything was buried in the F.

'Scuze me for being lazy today (Santa is coming) but pls post the procedure for checking supercharger oil. (If you are busy too, I'll look for it tomorrow...)
Sure...If you look up to the top of the thread, I posted pictures. Once you move that Symposer out of the way, it is a simple Hex plug removal, and then the syringe with a small hose. Suck it out a few times (usually get about 3.5 - 5 Oz out). The syringe has measurement on it so you will know what you extract. Then simply fill the syringe with oil and fill it back up.

I totally removed that silly Symposer device and as you can see, I can easily access the fill plug. I truly think when I am ready to do it again, it will take 10-15 minutes tops. Will just need to move the wiring harness back a bit.

DC

Carbuff2 (12-26-2020)
Old 05-13-2021, 11:08 AM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Isn't the drain/fill plug on the back of these units used as the fill indicator too? Fill until oil begins to drip out?

Quick Reply: Supercharger Oil Change & Extra Project - Symposer Removal!