F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger Removal Guide (Detailed)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 12:04 AM
Received 64 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Supercharger Removal Guide (Detailed)

Big thanks to everyone who helped me including TheRock, OzXFR and HolyFtype
I hope this write up helps someone else- obvious disclaimers apply- I'm an amateur mechanic so I may have made some mistakes, proceed at your own risk.

I have published another version of this guide at my (motorcycle!) website with A LOT more pictures ; https://classicairheads.com/blog/202...r-replacement/

Supercharger Removal and Reinstall for V6 F-Type

There are many reasons you might want to remove the supercharger in your Jaguar F-Type. Like me, you may have suffered a coolant pipe failure under the supercharger (a design fault), or you might need to replace the supercharger coupler. Or you might just be really bored and want to take your car apart. It happens, I understand you.

Resources:

The following threads on various forums were helpful in getting this project and this document over the line:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...emoval-202630/
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...emoval-188511/
https://www.ftypeforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4525
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-189632/page2/

Overview

The supercharger sits on top of the engine block between the two cylinder heads. It has the intake manifolds bolted to its sides and the charger air cooler (intercooler) sitting on top of it. The large aluminium charge air cooler is what you see when you pop the plastic engine cover off.
The supercharger has the belt and air intake/throttle body at the front, and a number of electrical, fuel, vacuum and coolant lines attached to it at various places all of which need to be removed to get the supercharger out making this a moderately big job. Having said that, if you go slowly and take a lot of photos it is achievable for the average home mechanic.

Removal:

It helps to break the process down into a few steps;
1. Removal of the charge air cooler
2. Removal of attached hardware at the front of the engine
3. Removal of attached hardware at the back of the engine
4. Removal of supercharger drive belt and throttle body
5. Removal of supercharger

/Removal of charge air cooler/

The charge air cooler is attached to the top of the supercharger and intake manifolds with 22 bolts! Around the outside are 18 Torx 27 bolts (red and yellow circles) and in the middle are four 10mm standard bolts (green circles). It has two coolant hoses going into it on either side. On the front of the charge air cooler there is a stainless steel fuel line which is held in place with tabs attached to the cooler. It is possible to get the air cooler out without removing this fuel rail, however I subsequently found it impossible to manoeuvre the supercharger out with the fuel rail in place so I would recommend detaching the left hand side of this line and gently pulling it forward to make space. No fuel sprayed out of this when I removed it. The access is a bit tricky but can be done using a 17mm spanner.

There are also four tabs holding structures to the cooler which need to be removed (blue circles). At the front of the cooler there are two bolts which are very long (yellow circles)- these are quite seized and should be lightly greased with some antiseize compound when replaced.

On top of the cooler are 4 more standard hex head bolts (green circles) and an electrical plug. These need to be removed. The electrical plug has a little plastic tab which needs to be depressed to allow it to pull off. The coolant hoses at the sides also have two plastic tabs each- the trick with these connectors is to push them in a little first and then depress the two tabs and pull the connector free.

When all the bolts have been removed (and documented and stored in ziploc bags!), the air cooler can be encouraged to come loose with a few stern taps with a rubber mallet. The fuel rail can then be gently eased forward just enough to allow the air cooler to be manoeuvred out and placed in a safe place taking care of the gasket which is reusable. Put some rags in the intake manifolds to stop things falling into the heads.

/Removal of attached hardware at front of engine/

At the front there are:

1. Three electrical connectors (all on the same line that the connector of top of the air cooler was on)
2. two hoses going into the intake of the supercharger
3. the air intake t connector going into the front of the throttle body
4. a moulded plastic coolant connector with two big hoses from the radiator (right) and water pump thermostat (left) and small (brittle!) coolant overflow/expansion lines going back to the coolant tank. This pipe is called the upper water outlet pipe.

The electrical connectors all remove with small plastic tabs that need to be released. They are all different but fairly easy to work out.

The two hoses also have plastic tabs which need to be depressed to allow their removal.

The water (coolant) plastic connector needs to be removed. This is often called the upper water outlet. It takes the coolant from the large pipes from the radiator down into a down pipe into the block. This down pipe section is held in place with two torx bolts. When they have been removed the pipe can be levered gently up with a screw driver revealing a connector pipe with two o-rings. The actual plastic coolant connector doesn’t have to be removed completely to remove the supercharger, but it has been redesigned and replaced with part number AJ813917 so if you are doing this job to replace the lower water outlet “y connector” (the usual point of failure) you will need to replace this upper water outlet as well as it won’t work with the redesigned lower pipe

The thin coolant return pipe going from the back of the upper water outlet pipe back to the reservoir is very brittle and if it hasn’t cracked already it probably will when you start manipulating it. You can remove this pipe and replace it (part number # T2R5910)

When the water hoses and connectors are out of the way it’s easier to see the air intake. The large hose clamps on the throttle body and the left and right air intakes can be removed allowing the t- connector to be removed from the throttle body.

/Removal of attached hardware at the back of the engine/

At the back there are structures attached to the supercharger and on the left and right intake manifolds. Given the supercharger and manifolds need to come out as one piece, all of these structures need to be detached.

On the left there is an electrical connector (yellow circle) and a vacuum pipe (blue circle).
On the right there is a pipe with two screws holding it in place (red oval).

In the middle there is a complicated mess of components attached to the back of the supercharger. These include a lot of wires and the resonator pipe which pipes engine noise into the cabin (the “symposer”)
Completely removing all of this stuff would be pretty complex but it is all essentially held on the back of the SC with 3 torx screws as shown (turquoise circles). Before those can be access those 3 screws however you have to loosen some of the stuff on the top by removing the three bolts in pink circles. The outside two of these hold the bracket on and the middle one allows the symposer tube to be moved out of the way. The three screws can then be accessed (with difficulty) by using a long connector weaved through the tangle of pipes and wires. I should note here that actually accessing these screws without removing everything, whilst possible, is very fiddly and time consuming. Same goes for putting them back on during reassembly. Particularly the lower screw on the right hand side. This took me ages.

/Removal of SC drive belt and throttle body/

Before the SC can be removed, the drive belt on the SC pulley and the throttle body at the inlet of the SC need to be removed.

The drive belt tensioner for the belt is difficult to access from the top but it is possible. To access it the air intake pipes (both the t-pipe and the right hand intermediate pipe) need to be removed. Then a 3/8in drive ratchet or breaker bar can be slipped past the charge air cooler coolant lines into the tensioner. Pulling on the ratchet will put the belt on slack allowing the belt to be lifted off the SC pulley.

If all the above parts have been removed, the only thing holding the throttle body to the SC at this stage should be the 4 Torx bolts (1 at each corner- orange circles). When these are removed the throttle body can be moved forward off the supercharger with its rubber gasket. There are two pipes on the underside of the throttle body which can be left in place.

In the bottom of the intake manifolds are the 6 (3 on each side- purple circles) bolts that secure the intake manifolds/SC assembly to the heads. Once these are removed the SC should “lift out”….. but it won’t without some encouragement as it has two dowels (red circles) which are often pretty seized. Various techniques have been used to get the SC moving here- two people rocking on either side, various levers using timber and jacks but worked for me was a rubber tipped crowbar levering gently at a couple of points as shown. I used timber blocks to protect the surfaces. It didn’t take much force and once the SC was free it was easy to lift it out by myself.

As you lift the SC up you will notice there is a long hose going from the throttle body to the bulkhead which is attached to the underside of the SC with little clips at two points (yellow circles). Just pull these off.

Reassembly

As they say in the classics installation is a reversal of removal. However here are a few thoughts which might help;

* This CAN be done with one person (i did it) but lowering the SC into place would be easier with two people
* I replaced the intake manifold gaskets- they can only be installed one way and I cleaned all the surfaces thoroughly first. Gasket part number is C2Z17249
* The manual calls for “special tool” guide pins to be inserted into the cylinder head to guide the SC down into place on the gasket- these are just 50mmx M8x 1.25 headless bolts. I made some by cutting the heads of some headful ones.
* before you tap the SC down remember to clip the heater hose from the throttle body to the bulkhead back onto the underside of the SC
* If you’re ever planning on removing this again, remember how hard it was to get those guide dowels out of the block! I dressed mine with fine grit paper and applied copper antiseize before reassembly
* Some useful torque specs:
* the lower water outlet “y-pipe” 12 Nm
* intake manifold bolts: 25Nm
* Throttle body bolts 10Nm (if you want to replace the gasket it’s part # C2Z28265)
* Charge air cooler bolts 25Nm and a funky tightening order as shown!

The following 22 users liked this post by adent:
benfbrown (01-24-2023), blacktoothgrin (01-27-2024), Borbor (10-22-2022), Craaaazzy (12-29-2020), dangoesfast (08-31-2023), DJS (12-30-2020), jahummer (04-16-2024), JgaXkr (12-29-2020), kb58 (10-22-2022), mvining (04-14-2024), Naumoff427 (10-22-2022), Nmg3693 (07-11-2024), OzXFR (12-29-2020), Panthro (05-06-2024), RGPV6S (12-29-2020), Sonoman (12-31-2020), sov211 (04-14-2024), sparayno1 (12-31-2020), takeapieandrun (12-29-2020), thistle4celtic1 (02-07-2021), Thunder Dump (12-29-2020), WayneB (12-29-2020) and 17 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-29-2020, 01:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,365 Posts

That is one helluva detailed and comprehensive write up, great job!

The following 3 users liked this post by OzXFR:
adent (12-29-2020), Panthro (05-06-2024), QP7 (01-21-2024)
Old 12-29-2020, 04:50 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

Very nice! Thanks for the detailed and excellent DIY.

The following users liked this post:
adent (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 05:05 AM
Received 84 Likes on 42 Posts

Awesome, thanks!

Old 12-29-2020, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 250 Posts

Thanks for the write up. You saved a lot of people a lot of time and effort. Bravo!

The following 2 users liked this post by RGPV6S:
adent (12-29-2020), QP7 (01-21-2024)
Old 12-29-2020, 02:29 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

you will save a lot of people with this post, we needed this guide on this forum. thanks!!

adent (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 02:54 PM
Received 440 Likes on 236 Posts

That's one of the best, most comprehensive DIY guides I have ever seen for any kind of mechanical process, and is a huge resource for this community. Bravo!

The following 2 users liked this post by Thunder Dump:
adent (12-29-2020), QP7 (01-21-2024)
Old 10-22-2022, 06:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grwat right up. I pulled my SC today on my 2017 XF and it was a slight pain. The worse thing is the stuff bolted to the back of the SC. I had to pull it forward to remove tg he 3 torx screws holding the bracket on and that will be some trick wgen i put it back together. I might change the to hex head bolts so i can put a wrench on them. I still have to order parts as i want to get the SC off and make sure of what i need to order. Already changed the water pump several times and have that down to under 30 minutes.

Old 10-22-2022, 09:39 PM
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Awesome write-up. One quick question. Will the engine run without supercharger installed. I know coolant would be an issue.. so insert by-pass tube in each. Throttle body would be disconnected.. Not looking for good performance, just wondering if I could spray some carb cleaner directly into intake.

Maybe run with just intercooler removed and spray carb cleaner into each cylinder (still with coolant bypass).

Just a thought

Old 04-14-2024, 12:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread has been such a help as I am tackling this on my 2016 XF V6.
Now if I could only find the torque specs for the engine oil cooler....

Old 04-14-2024, 02:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found the torque setting for the oil cooler thanks to the drop box file here on the F-type side
it's 13nm if anyone ever needs the info

Old 04-14-2024, 02:19 PM
Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Niiiice!

Old 04-22-2024, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much for the detailed guide! You saved my day (Or week).
My F-Type R broke down and was suddenly losing a lot of coolant. I thought it was the waterpump and that it's probably going to be a quick fix... Well yeah, it was also that damn Y-Pipe under the SC that split in half at the molding edge. Was a bit more of a hard job with the V8, especially the bolts on the rear.
I didn't see that you put in the Part Nr. for the Y-Pipe though. For anyone wondering, it's LR050935.
Greetings from Germany!

Old 04-23-2024, 05:10 AM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Excellent with good updates!
I have just one suggestion having also done this job, I'm pretty confident the supercharger oil fill volume is 85ml for the V6 and that was about the amount that I got out of mine too before refilling it. The 150ml you used/listed in the guide is the correct amount for the larger V8 supercharger,
Good to see you used the Eaton solid coupler replacement. I ended up using a different solid coupler though in principal it should perform similarly. Time will tell.

Panthro (05-06-2024)
Old 07-11-2024, 09:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bless your heart for doing this. I needed the insight and details. Thank you!

Old Yesterday, 12:24 AM
Received 269 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Simonusa0
Excellent with good updates!
I have just one suggestion having also done this job, I'm pretty confident the supercharger oil fill volume is 85ml for the V6 and that was about the amount that I got out of mine too before refilling it. The 150ml you used/listed in the guide is the correct amount for the larger V8 supercharger,
Good to see you used the Eaton solid coupler replacement. I ended up using a different solid coupler though in principal it should perform similarly. Time will tell.
Fill volumes are hard to find for Jaguar application as there's no service guide, but the fill volumes I've been able to find for the Eaton TVS R1320 are between 120ml and 150ml (4.2oz - 5.2oz). I was confused by the loss of oil and a little skeptical about people pulling 70-90ml out then putting 120-150ml back, but some recent testing (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...esting-281383/) changed my mind and convinced me that a small amount of oil must be leaking over time. I'm sending my samples off for lab analysis next week to get readings on the metal solids and will update that thread with the results when I have them.

Old Yesterday, 04:38 PM
Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the great write up, OP. I’ve used what you’ve posted to remove my F-Type’s supercharger and replace the supercharger coupler and oil.

When I removed the supercharger, I found a bit of corrosion/oxidation on the underside of the intercoolers and on some of the valve cover bolts. It looks like the insulating pads that sit between the intercoolers and the heads had been retaining moisture. Does anybody know if it’s necessary to retain the insulating pads? Does anybody know the part numbers for those pad? Mine are pretty crusty, and I don’t think my OCD will let me reuse them.