F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Everything I've seen shows the convertible and coupe versions as approximately same weight, all things being equal. Unlike most convertibles, there's no extra chassis reinforcement, and the weight of the top structure and motor are offset by the weight of the coupe roof and extra glass.

Having said that, w/ heavy options, an R coupe is going to weigh 300-400 lbs. more than a base model, coupe or convertible. I also felt a difference in balance and handling when test driving the base vs. a V8S convertible, which sealed my decision.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-30-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Everything I've seen shows the convertible and coupe versions as approximately same weight, all things being equal. Unlike most convertibles, there's no extra chassis reinforcement, and the weight of the top structure and motor are offset by the weight of the coupe roof and extra glass.

Having said that, w/ heavy options, an R coupe is going to weigh 300-400 lbs. more than a base model, coupe or convertible. I also felt a difference in balance and handling when test driving the base vs. a V8S convertible, which sealed my decision.
Reading the published specs (Jaguar F-TYPE | Dimensions & Weight | Pricing & Specs):

- Convertible adds 44 lbs.
- S adds 15 lbs.
- Automatic adds 44 lbs.
- AWD adds 155 lbs.
- V8 adds 118 lbs.

There's an almost 400 lb. span from lightest to heaviest. It adds up.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Reading the published specs (Jaguar F-TYPE | Dimensions & Weight | Pricing & Specs):

- Convertible adds 44 lbs.
- S adds 15 lbs.
- Automatic adds 44 lbs.
- AWD adds 155 lbs.
- V8 adds 118 lbs.

There's an almost 400 lb. span from lightest to heaviest. It adds up.
OK, 44 lbs. heavier for the convertible. That fits into my definition of "approximate," but we carry weight lower giving us a lower CG. Moreover, I'm skinny, so I save that amount of weight over the average American male.

My numbers are from the days when there was no manual or AWD, but yes, all the little things add up. Things that are options or not available on base models are std on the R. For example, the "wingbacks" are much heavier than the std. seats. So, the difference is considerable.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-30-2015 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:41 PM
Veteran Member

OK, 44 lbs. heavier for the convertible. That fits into my definition of "approximate," but we carry weight lower giving us a lower CG. Moreover, I'm skinny, so I save that amount of weight over the average American male.

My numbers are from the days when there was no manual or AWD, but yes, all the little things add up. Things that are options or not available on base models are std on the R. For example, the "wingbacks" are much heavier than the std. seats. So, the difference is considerable.
I would have preferred manually adjustable seats. And a standard roof too, but now standard means "panoramic." It'd be just awesomely peachy-keen if the car was about 600 lbs. lighter. Oh well. Safety isn't free.

Old 12-05-2015, 01:49 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if the top of the line 14 way seats eclipse 200 lbs.
But I could be way off. I'm actually curious to see how far they've come with that. I know pulling the power seats from an 87 Supra was a CHORE. Even my buddy, big guy, couldn't wrap his mind around how heavy they were. Like lugging around a transmission.

Old 12-05-2015, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MagnumPI
I wouldn't be surprised if the top of the line 14 way seats eclipse 200 lbs.
But I could be way off. I'm actually curious to see how far they've come with that.
I doubt they've come far, at least in that respect. Every time I see a thread on any of the forums I frequent that covers seat removal, there seems to be some degree of astonishment at just how heavy they are.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:17 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

I was driving the AMG-GTS this morning, and there is absolutely no comparison. The AMG-GTS is flat in corners, the F-Type R is not.

The difference is that the Mercedes was a purpose built sports car which shares parts only with another completely bespoke supercar. The F-Type on the other hand is a bit of a parts bin special using a lot of XF and S-Type components. For a parts bin special it is a phenomenal machine - but this explains the roughly $40,000 price difference.

That said, it irks me to so much that they couldn't be arsed to come up with some new sway bars for the R Coupe. I mean the R&D and fabrication cost to do this is absolutely trivial. And this is probably why I am very reluctant to buy a Jag again - how can I ever be confident that they won't take shortcuts that Mercedes, BMW or Porsche would not.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
I was driving the AMG-GTS this morning, and there is absolutely no comparison. The AMG-GTS is flat in corners, the F-Type R is not.

The difference is that the Mercedes was a purpose built sports car which shares parts only with another completely bespoke supercar. The F-Type on the other hand is a bit of a parts bin special using a lot of XF and S-Type components. For a parts bin special it is a phenomenal machine - but this explains the roughly $40,000 price difference.

That said, it irks me to so much that they couldn't be arsed to come up with some new sway bars for the R Coupe. I mean the R&D and fabrication cost to do this is absolutely trivial. And this is probably why I am very reluctant to buy a Jag again - how can I ever be confident that they won't take shortcuts that Mercedes, BMW or Porsche would not.
I couldn't agree more on the AMG-GTS. It's a phenomenal machine. I may end up with one at some point.

And yes, it's clear that the F-Type is a bit of a "parts bin" compromise. However, I still think it's a very good value for the money, and kills in the "looks" department in ways that the AMG-GT and Porsche 911 do not.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:30 PM

I couldn't agree more on the AMG-GTS. It's a phenomenal machine. I may end up with one at some point.

And yes, it's clear that the F-Type is a bit of a "parts bin" compromise. However, I still think it's a very good value for the money, and kills in the "looks" department in ways that the AMG-GT and Porsche 911 do not.
Your F-Type is very good value for money. Mine is not.

For the extra $40k over the base model, they least they could have done is upgraded the sway bars, the suspension, and maybe some of the aero parts. I can tell you this - my BMW M5 has completely different suspension components from the 550i - even the sway bars are different. Also different transmission, different gearbox, different engine mounts, different bumpers, different fenders, different exhaust, different leather, lots of different things and lots of totally unique parts not shared with any other model or other generation. You get something for the extra $40k with BMW.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member

Your F-Type is very good value for money. Mine is not.

For the extra $40k over the base model, they least they could have done is upgraded the sway bars, the suspension, and maybe some of the aero parts. I can tell you this - my BMW M5 has completely different suspension components from the 550i - even the sway bars are different. Also different transmission, different gearbox, different engine mounts, different bumpers, different fenders, different exhaust, different leather, lots of different things and lots of totally unique parts not shared with any other model or other generation. You get something for the extra $40k with BMW.
Yes, that's the primary reason it was a clear and easy decision for me to go with the base. I didn't think just the V8 engine was worth $40K, and I didn't like all the extra weight for options I simply didn't care about in a roadster.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:10 PM

Yes, that's the primary reason it was a clear and easy decision for me to go with the base. I didn't think just the V8 engine was worth $40K, and I didn't like all the extra weight for options I simply didn't care about in a roadster.
Yeah unfortunately the performance specs of the base have zero interest for me.

But I think I will pay more attention to the details of what justifies the upgrade to the top spec model next time.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member

I wasn't looking for monster performance--been there, done that many times, and a little bored with not being able to really use that crazy power on the street. I just a wanted a good-looking, comfortable, nice-handling, and enjoyable roadster with spirited performance. It certainly satisfies all those criteria nicely at a reasonable price. Five seconds to 60 is still very fast in a street car by any reasonable standard.

I still think my car corners pretty flat with it's much lighter weight, but I'd really need to drive an R again to see what you're talking about. I didn't have the opportunity to push it on corners it during my initial test drive.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-05-2015 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:16 PM

I wasn't looking for monster performance--been there, done that many times, and a little bored with not being able to really use that crazy power on the street. I just a wanted a good-looking, comfortable, nice-handling, and enjoyable roadster with spirited performance. It certainly satisfies all those criteria nicely at a reasonable price. Five seconds to 60 is still very fast in a street car by any reasonable standard.

I still think my car corners pretty flat with it's much lighter weight, but I'd really need to drive an R again to see what you're talking about. I didn't have the opportunity to push it on corners it during my initial test drive.
I don't believe your car corners anywhere near what you would experience in the AMG GTS or a 911 with PDCC.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member

I don't believe your car corners anywhere near what you would experience in the AMG GTS or a 911 with PDCC.
Oh, I'm sure it doesn't, and it also costs $100K less. It doesn't come anywhere close to my Lotus either, but that is an entirely different animal.

Old 12-06-2015, 04:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

The R coupes in this review appear to corner very flat:

This despite having the plate glass roof, and seats that weigh a couple of hundred pounds a piece.

Accelerating through the turns appears to be key...

Old 12-06-2015, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
Close. A stiff upper lip is key...

Attached Thumbnails Suspension upgrades?-image.jpeg  
Old 12-06-2015, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
The R coupes in this review appear to corner very flat:
This despite having the plate glass roof, and seats that weigh a couple of hundred pounds a piece.

Horrific over-steer (or real crappy driving).

Old 12-06-2015, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Horrific over-steer (or real crappy driving).
Or someone just having fun doing what the F-type does best.

It's not a race car. It's a car ment to enjoy and have fun. And it does that very well

Old 12-06-2015, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Arne
Or someone just having fun doing what the F-type does best.
Maximum adrenaline, speed and enjoyment comes with 4 wheels at the limits, not just two. Drifting on only 2 is just plain sloppy driving.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Maximum adrenaline, speed and enjoyment comes with 4 wheels at the limits, not just two. Drifting on only 2 is just plain sloppy driving.
If you are just looking for the shortest time to get from A to B, I would agree with you - and bought a Porsche.

But adrenaline, speed, enjoyment and fun can be delivered just as much with some drifting - which is also all about having control on all four wheels.

You should try it once

And the fun thing with the F-type is that it is pretty good at both types of driving, even though it might not be the very best at any of them.

Quick Reply: Suspension upgrades?