F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SVO Paint- how to protect

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2024, 05:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SVO Paint- how to protect in transport and in storage?

After hunting for a good used F type, I finally found a low mileage R 4 hrs from my home. I bought painter’s tape for delicate surfaces and was going to use that for the drive home to prevent chips and thinking I’d get a clear paint film put on it when I get home. The salesmen then told me to look at the pics again, it’s a satin SVO paint and is going into the body shop to have a scratch repaired on the passenger front fender otherwise the car is perfect. So can’t use painter’s tape and the clear wrap would ruin the satin look…. Besides being worried they won’t match the paint, any thoughts on how to protect the paint on the ride home and any recommendations for indoor car covers?

Old 07-05-2024, 05:11 PM
Received 263 Likes on 201 Posts

The best way to protect your paint while driving is to leave a large gap to the car in front. If there's nothing in front to throw up stones, stone chips are no longer an issue.

Get yourself a touch-up bottle from one of those companies that do the exact colour matched paints and drive your car like it's meant to be driven knowing you can repair any damage

The following users liked this post:
Chuckster (07-06-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 03:45 AM
Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts

Don't quite get it. If you need to do something to protect the paint while driving it home, what are you then going to do every other time you drive it? Surely just as likely to get chips then? Chips are just an unfortunate part of life.

Old 07-06-2024, 05:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have satin SVO ethereal silver paint on my SVR. prior owner had partial PPF installed on contact points. if the dealer hadn't told me there was PPF I would have had no idea. I don't know exactly what brand/type of PPF it is but I'm sure there are films that will maintain the satin look because it's on mine and you can't even tell it's there

KJSJK71 (07-06-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

You can get matt PPF that should be barely detectable.
I have regular Expel on my shiny car and that is hard to see unless you look for the edges.
Does a good job on the front areas.
Actually had significant stone damage that was limited to the PPF.
That section of PPF was easily replaced.
Check out Suntek PPF - I think they do matt.

KJSJK71 (07-06-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by dibbyandco
Don't quite get it. If you need to do something to protect the paint while driving it home, what are you then going to do every other time you drive it? Surely just as likely to get chips then? Chips are just an unfortunate part of life.

You are correct. I expect that, and I will drive it, unfortunately we have a lot of road construction in the San Antonio area so the debri is in the road, more than a typical road. So I’m tracking in the suggestion to leave space in front of me from others, or trailer it, I just wanted to give it a little extra level of protection and drive it .

Old 07-06-2024, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

Might be worth taking the slow (back) road home.
Ask Siri.

KJSJK71 (07-06-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by dangoesfast
The best way to protect your paint while driving is to leave a large gap to the car in front. If there's nothing in front to throw up stones, stone chips are no longer an issue.

Get yourself a touch-up bottle from one of those companies that do the exact colour matched paints and drive your car like it's meant to be driven knowing you can repair any damage
Thank you, yes this will be a driver so I expect some chips and will get some touch up. There is a good bit of road construction in our area so to your point ..something has to kick it up…. So will leave good space … It’s bound to happen. Just trying to minimize… thank you..

Old 07-06-2024, 10:54 AM
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

The benefits of having PPF far outweigh any possible perception of color change. Keep in mind, if you look hard enough, there is a difference in the paint appearance between plastic and metal painted surfaces, as well. You will drive with a greater sense of security knowing you have this protection applied.

I have Xpel on my front bumper cover, headlight lenses, and side view mirrors and have saved numerous paint chips/cracked lens. Just the same, become knowledgeable in fixing small paint damage. I have over the years [it's not difficult] and my car looks showroom new [almost, anyway].

Old 07-06-2024, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by synthesis
The benefits of having PPF far outweigh any possible perception of color change. Keep in mind, if you look hard enough, there is a difference in the paint appearance between plastic and metal painted surfaces, as well. You will drive with a greater sense of security knowing you have this protection applied.

I have Xpel on my front bumper cover, headlight lenses, and side view mirrors and have saved numerous paint chips/cracked lens. Just the same, become knowledgeable in fixing small paint damage. I have over the years [it's not difficult] and my car looks showroom new [almost, anyway].
I appreciate everyone’s recommendations. The dealer is telling me we have to wait 2 to 4 weeks after the bumper was touched up before they can put any protection on it. So it’s slow down the back roads it is. This is my military retirement gift to myself so trying to keep it somewhat nice. Thank you all.

Old 07-06-2024, 05:03 PM
Received 147 Likes on 110 Posts

If you are going to shell out the money for PPF you may as well do it right and get a paint correction done before you get the PPF applied. There are lots of threads on here concerning paint corrections and PPF.

KJSJK71 (07-06-2024)
Old Yesterday, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,341 Likes on 1,842 Posts

Interesting in that I have been told one of the drawbacks of satin finishes is you can't repair them without it being visible?
Let us know how the repair comes out?

KJSJK71 (Yesterday)