Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SVR Engine break

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 04:07 PM
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
Post SVR Engine break

Hello everyone,
Its a pleasure to be here. First of all I want to apologize for my english, I will try my best (using google translator!). I am from Madrid (Spain). Last June I bought a F Type SVR 2016 (one of the first) at the local JLR deeler here in Madrid with just 15 k (miles) and two years warranty.
One month later, during a travel around Portugal, the engine broke while driving on the highway. It wasn't anything spectacular with a big crack, smoke, big bang or any staff like that... The engine just entry in safe mode, so i was able to drive safely to the right of the road until it finally stopped. At first, i thought that it was an electrical issue (battery or alternator) just because of the absence of any smoke, bad smell, or mechanical noise. Then i tried to start it several times but nothing happened. I had to call the tow truck and take it to the JLR deeler that sold me the car.

Two long weeks later (i dont really understand why they take too much time to give me a diagnose), they told me that it was the timing chain (it brokes with just 15k miles??). Unbelivable! How is this possible? Any other similar cases in the forum?

So now they are changing the engine for a new one under warranty (it costs 26k €!!, thanks god for the warranty!!). It has been another two weeks since the diagnosis. I dont understand how it takes so much time to change an engine (they tell me that it is due to the engine parts coming from the UK). Another question is, the engine comes in parts or it is shipped already assembled from the UK?

So here I am, one month later waiting for the car with the new engine. They told me next week it will be ready.

I love the car, how it sounds, how it drives, how it feels, how it looks... But now i am a bit worried about this happening again out of warranty... Another thing i am worried about is the noise. I think that probably they will set the new software update that erase pops and cracks from the exhaust. I love the sound the way it was. Is it possible this not happening?

Trust me, this is the best Jaguar forum in the word (the Spanish one sucks), and my intention is to collaborate from now on and here I am for what you need. Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Old 09-15-2020, 05:42 PM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

Welcome Jorge, I agree this is an active and helpful forum.

I haven't read of any timing chain problems on 2016 models, I remember version of the 5.0L V8 fitted to other Jaguar, I think before 2013 could have some issues but I believe the versions fitted to F Types (after 2013) had different cam chain and tensioner to fix the problem. I have only read of a very small number of owners on this forum with major engine damage needing a replacement engine. The suspected cause of some of these failures was incorrect, probably too low engine oil level.

Hope you will get your replacement engine fitted soon and that your dealer provided you with another V8 F Type whikst your SVR is waiting for the replacement engine.

I believe the Jaguar factory in UK was closed earlier this year due to COVID-19 , I think it's open again but this reduction in production may have a effect on the delay you are experiencing.

The following users liked this post:
jorge429 (09-16-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Welcome Jorge and we also encourage your collaboration with us all in the future. I echo Paul above. The engine replacement delays are likely factory shut down and shipping delays. Taking so long to diagnose can have many causes as they may have wanted a second opinion while determining cause and extent of the damage and then delays in getting JLR to approve the warranty replacement. Not fun for sure but your cat should be good to go soon and in time the torture of waiting will be a faded memory. Are they giving you a brand new engine or one with 15k miles already on it? If it’s a brand new one be careful to keep the revs down during the break in period. Good luck and again welcome.

jorge429 (09-16-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 987 Likes on 738 Posts

A sad story, but hopefully settled soon. The engine should come assembled but there are lots of external parts that will need to be transferred over from your existing engine. A new engine does not mean new manifolds, supercharger, fuel system, electronics, etc. That takes time, plus seals, gaskets, and the like.

Good luck!

jorge429 (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Paul_59
Welcome Jorge, I agree this is an active and helpful forum.

I haven't read of any timing chain problems on 2016 models, I remember version of the 5.0L V8 fitted to other Jaguar, I think before 2013 could have some issues but I believe the versions fitted to F Types (after 2013) had different cam chain and tensioner to fix the problem. I have only read of a very small number of owners on this forum with major engine damage needing a replacement engine. The suspected cause of some of these failures was incorrect, probably too low engine oil level.

Hope you will get your replacement engine fitted soon and that your dealer provided you with another V8 F Type whikst your SVR is waiting for the replacement engine.

I believe the Jaguar factory in UK was closed earlier this year due to COVID-19 , I think it's open again but this reduction in production may have a effect on the delay you are experiencing.
Thank you very much Paul.

I have found in the forum serious timing chain issues with JLR V8 engines between 2010-2014 in other JLR models but no one in the F Type. I think im the first one...

Im thinking as a reasonable cause for the engine break a very hard use from the previous owner. Is it possible? The JLR dealer told me before i bought the car, that they know him and that he was a known client that change the SVR for a new Velar. Who knows...

Old 09-16-2020, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mbourne
Welcome Jorge and we also encourage your collaboration with us all in the future. I echo Paul above. The engine replacement delays are likely factory shut down and shipping delays. Taking so long to diagnose can have many causes as they may have wanted a second opinion while determining cause and extent of the damage and then delays in getting JLR to approve the warranty replacement. Not fun for sure but your cat should be good to go soon and in time the torture of waiting will be a faded memory. Are they giving you a brand new engine or one with 15k miles already on it? If it’s a brand new one be careful to keep the revs down during the break in period. Good luck and again welcome.
Thanks Mbourne for your comment.

The new engine is supposed to be a brand new one. I dont think a JLR dealer cheat on me, but it would be possible to repair an engine that broke the timing chain?

Thank you for your advice on being careful at the beginning. I will be careful with the engine in the first 1-2 k miles. Should I take it longer?

Old 09-16-2020, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
A sad story, but hopefully settled soon. The engine should come assembled but there are lots of external parts that will need to be transferred over from your existing engine. A new engine does not mean new manifolds, supercharger, fuel system, electronics, etc. That takes time, plus seals, gaskets, and the like.

Good luck!

Thank you Lizzardo!

Yes it is a very sad story. A car that cost a brand new one almost 170 k$ breaking the engine in just 15 k miles... tragedy.

So the new engine does not include a new supercharger? It is just the engine block (with crankshaft, pistons, valves, timing chain, etc)? What about the cooling system (water pump, hoses, etc) are they included in a new engine or they will recycle the older ones? Spark plugs, injectors, coils?

Old 09-16-2020, 07:18 AM
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Yes it is a very sad story. A car that cost a brand new one almost 170 k$ breaking the engine in just 15 k miles... tragedy.

So the new engine does not include a new supercharger? It is just the engine block (with crankshaft, pistons, valves, timing chain, etc)? What about the cooling system (water pump, hoses, etc) are they included in a new engine or they will recycle the older ones? Spark plugs, injectors, coils?[/QUOTE]

This will all depend on the dealer and tech working on your vehicle. They normally come long block (sealed heads and block with internals) and that's about it. If i remember correctly, the water pump is on it due to engine testing. The supercharger and accessory drives need to be swapped. Plugs i think come in with it but have to swap coils. Its about a 17-19 hr job warranty wise. Plus i know some seals may be backordered and engine may take a week or so if available

jorge429 (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 07:38 AM

Thanks Rummy. I will ask the dealer for every single part thas has been changed and which parts remains from the broken engine. I hope be able to check it on the final repair bill. I will keep you informed, maybe this is useful information for other members in the forum. Many thanks

Old 09-16-2020, 07:49 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,468 Likes on 1,113 Posts

Originally Posted by jorge429
A car that cost a brand new one almost 170 k$ breaking the engine in just 15 k miles... tragedy.
Is anything known about the history of the car? If it's an early SVR I wonder if it might have done press duty and had a fairly hard life.

jorge429 (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by scm
Is anything known about the history of the car? If it's an early SVR I wonder if it might have done press duty and had a fairly hard life.
Not really... As the car comes under two years warranty I did not get much deeper. I trusted the JLR dealer when they told me that the previous owner was well known for them and trustworthy. I do not want to think bad but it's very strange to break an engine with that short mileage. Nevertheless now they are who pay the bill so...

Old 09-16-2020, 12:51 PM
Received 208 Likes on 122 Posts

Not really... As the car comes under two years warranty I did not get much deeper. I trusted the JLR dealer when they told me that the previous owner was well known for them and trustworthy. I do not want to think bad but it's very strange to break an engine with that short mileage. Nevertheless now they are who pay the bill so...
Welcome to the forum. There are very few SVRs in Spain. Around 20 or less.

jorge429 (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 12:55 PM

Interesting point. I have a list of a lot of the cars that were used for media/press events such as car reviews and Jaguar Media days. If you share the serial number I can look to see if it was a press car.

jorge429 (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ftyperegistry
Interesting point. I have a list of a lot of the cars that were used for media/press events such as car reviews and Jaguar Media days. If you share the serial number I can look to see if it was a press car.
Thank you! Serial number is the same as the VIN correct?

Old 09-16-2020, 01:19 PM

One thing dealer told me is that the car 1rst registration was in Germany in 2016 and the Spanish registration was in 2018. So if the car was a press car it had to be in Germany. Thanks!

Old 09-17-2020, 10:01 AM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

One thing dealer told me is that the car 1rst registration was in Germany in 2016 and the Spanish registration was in 2018. So if the car was a press car it had to be in Germany. Thanks!
Does this mean you are really the third owner not the first?

I just looked up some of the press reviews but it seems while they did do press reviews in Germany, the press cars look to be UK registered,

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/spe...svr-autobahn#1

Last edited by StealthPilot; 09-17-2020 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by StealthPilot

I just looked up some of the press reviews but it seems while they did do press reviews in Germany, the press cars look to be UK registered,

According to @Ftyperegistry my SVR was not a press unit. Mine is dark grey (can not remember the name of the colour right now)

Yes, I am the third owner. Second owner brought it from Germany in 2018. This owner is known by the dealer here in Madrid but nothing known about the first german owner.

Last edited by jorge429; 09-17-2020 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by StealthPilot

Very observant of you and correct. This was mostly true for the 2016 model year when the SVR debuted. Most of the first 100 SVRs were press cars/show cars registered in the UK regardless of the country they were made for. The cars would eventually be sent to their original destination country after Jaguar was done using them for events.

Old 09-21-2020, 12:35 PM

I have been today at the dealer. I was talking to the chief mechanic about my car. Apparently the source of the problem was a vacuum pump failure (he said 'bomba de vacio' in spanish) which is used to move the oil pump and other elements (i think he said also the fuel pump, but not the water pump). So this problem produced a lack of lubrication in the timing chain and then it finally broke. Have anybody heard about this issue? Sorry for my ignorance. I never heard before about this vacuum pump. As far as I know there are only three types of pumps in my car (water, fuel and oil).

Also he told me that the brand new engine consists of the engine block, the crankshaft, pistons, rods, timing chain and thats it. It does not include a new camshaft, head gasket, valves, and of course injectors, spark plugs are not included, they swap from the broken engine.

I have two years warranty, but im a bit worried about some of the swapped elements being affected (especially the valves or camshaft). The mechanic says that they are not affected. What do you think of all this? As i said the car is only 15 k miles, f type SVR 16'.

Many thanks in advance

Old 09-21-2020, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Warranty work is not required to make "everything" new. However, you should have the option to pay out of pocket for new parts you want to include. For injectors, there is really no real reason to use new injectors unless they are broken. You can send the injectors out for sonic cleaning (which I would recommend) which is all that you should need:

https://www.rcfuelinjection.com/Stor...ector-cleaning

If it were me. I would pay for a new head gasket, injector cleaning and new spark plugs. The only downside of the injector cleaning is that it will add about another 2 weeks onto your timeline for getting the car back but you'll at least know the injectors have the correct spray pattern and flow rates.

jorge429 (09-22-2020)

Quick Reply: SVR Engine break