Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SVR Engine break

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 04:41 AM
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
Almost true...https://www.ftypeforums.co.uk/

Regarding your gearbox...new engine, old box. They are not 'bedded in' together yet. Give it a while to settle maybe?

I'm not sure on the gearbox software side.

Are 'learning/adaptions' an 'urban myth' regarding the gearbox ?
I can't see anywhere in the TCM where it could do this?
I did not know the british forum. I've been keeping an eye on it and you are right. It is also a great option with lot of activity (more than the US forum?)

Regarding my gearbox I still thinking something is wrong. When I first drive the SVR I still owning my previous car (Porsche Boxster with PDK gearbox), and I remember feeling clearly the ZF gearbox much more smooth (in normal mode). Not as fast as the PDK but more smooth. And since I have the car back with the new engine I feel it different, especially in upshifts sometimes it is quite rough (not always).

And also CEL went ON last weekend so the car is at the JLR dealer again. I told them about the gearbox but they told me that this is normal and it is due to "gearbox learning period". They told me that the CEL probably is for another reason (maybe an oxygen sensor). Apart from the gearbox I did not feel anything wrong with the car ... so waiting now. Im calling the dealer this afternoon, I will tell you if there is any news

Old 11-12-2020, 04:47 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,468 Likes on 1,113 Posts

Originally Posted by jorge429
I did not know the british forum. I've been keeping an eye on it and you are right. It is also a great option with lot of activity (more than the US forum?)
Not sure it's more active than this one, and has a different focus - not so fanatical about modding! But the members are like this one - knowledgeable, polite, friendly and helpful.

The following users liked this post:
jorge429 (11-12-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by jorge429

Regarding my gearbox I still thinking something is wrong. When I first drive the SVR I still owning my previous car (Porsche Boxster with PDK gearbox), and I remember feeling clearly the ZF gearbox much more smooth (in normal mode). Not as fast as the PDK but more smooth. And since I have the car back with the new engine I feel it different, especially in upshifts sometimes it is quite rough (not always).

And also CEL went ON last weekend so the car is at the JLR dealer again. I told them about the gearbox but they told me that this is normal and it is due to "gearbox learning period". They told me that the CEL probably is for another reason (maybe an oxygen sensor). Apart from the gearbox I did not feel anything wrong with the car ... so waiting now. Im calling the dealer this afternoon, I will tell you if there is any news
UPDATE: Dealer confirmed an oxygen sensor failure. They are changing the faulty sensor and also the cat, both under warranty. It is a very common failure from what I have read here. As I said I didn't notice any symptoms, the car was running fine to me. Maybe the faulty sensor ruined the catalyst since I need to drive quite a bit with the CEL on

Old 11-12-2020, 10:58 AM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

In regards to the vacuum pump, did they say how it failed? I assume it leaked oil and caused oil starvation. That gasket is a common leak point and has wrecked at least one XJ engine. Glad you’re on the road to recovery.

jorge429 (11-13-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Nedoerr
In regards to the vacuum pump, did they say how it failed? I assume it leaked oil and caused oil starvation. That gasket is a common leak point and has wrecked at least one XJ engine. Glad you’re on the road to recovery.
No, they didn't. The chief mechanic just said that it was difficult to him to discover the cause of the issue. And the conclusion was that the vacuum pump 'seized' (not sure if seized is the correct term). Why this happened? He didn't know, but it seems this caused the oil pump to stop doing its job...

Old 11-12-2020, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts

Ask them to reset the gearbox so it relearns again.

jorge429 (11-13-2020)