F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SVR manual available

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 09:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Foosh
LOL . . . you must be very rusty or didn't have much seat time, or both. The Tremec 7MT in the C7 is, bar none, the smoothest, toughest, and best MT on the planet. With auto rev-match on, it is unbelievably smooth, and makes you look like a professional "heel and toe jockey."

...It takes a minimum of 1-2 hours of seat time to get used to any manual even if you are a very experienced MT driver.

Just so you know I'm not beating you up, I think I understand why you say what you did above. In the first half-hour of my test drive I did the same thing as you. After an hour, it was the best MT I've ever driven.
I drive a 6MT BMW as a daily driver, not known for its brilliant shift action, and have had a MT as my daily since 1996 (everything in my signature was an MT except for the Q7), so it's not me being rusty (and no offense taken!).

It was definitely a short test drive. I didn't get much more than 15-20 minutes in the car, with at least 5-7 of that in stop and go traffic, and had a nervous salesman who was worried I'd put more than 3 miles on their "precious" car (one of 9 literally gathering dust on the lot). Rev match was pretty entertaining, and definitely did a better job than I would have given my unfamiliarity with the car. And it saved me from my 7-3 antics, as my ears told me I'd dropped more gears than I wanted to before I let the clutch back out. It was just disconcerting how closely spaced these forks were, and I've driven an old S2000 with success where they're also awfully tight.

Yes, it probably would have been better with more time, but I honestly still didn't think the car was that much fun as a street car. Very powerful, loud - things the F Type is for sure. But also just a bit to serious (can't believe I'm saying that about a Vette!). As a track car, sure - it was obvious that it would do very well there. By far the best Corvette I've ever driven, but still not my cup of tea.

Incidentally I also drove a 718 Boxster S immediately thereafter, and it was all kinds of fun. Normally I think of Porsches as serious cars that want to be on the track, but this Boxster seemed perfectly happy zipping around on public streets. It clearly was telling you that it had a lot more to show you if it got on a closed circuit, but it wasn't as obviously ponderous or unhappy as the C7 was, and I was able to step in cold and feel quite at one with the car.

Anyway I digress massively from the OP's topic. I think an SVR (or even an R) with a 6MT would be a great choice, but an 8MT, aside from not existing, really wouldn't add anything for me.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Fair enough . . . but with just a little experience, I still think it's the best MT I've ever owned, including those in 4 gens of BMW Ms, Audi, Porsche, and Lotus, etc. For $55K, I bought a CPO Z51 w/ 4K miles that is both an incredibly great street car and capable of besting almost anything under $200K on a (curvy) track, considerably longer than 1/4 mile. :-)

I do agree with you that we'll likely never see an 8MT. There isn't enough demand to develop an entirely new MT since manuals are nearing extinction. The Tremec 7MT is just a 6MT w/ an extra overdrive gear as well as other refinements.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts
Default I dunno...

Ive honestly have never driven a manual Vette but I have had several M3's.

Throw an UA SS kit on it and it is the crispest manual I have ever driven. I had the use of a F430 for a month and I still have to say the M3 manual was perfection. Hard to imagine a better manual transmission than the one BMW uses in their E46 M's. Just saying... Precision German engineering, intuitive gear snap, and buttery smooth throw and playless seat in the gear. What more could one want?

this...

Getrag 420G transmission

The 420G is a 6-speed manual transmission manufactured by Getrag. It is designed for longitudinal engine applications and is designed for use on engines producing up to 499 N·m (368 lb·ft) of torque.

BMW used this transmission with M60 V8 models such as the European manual 840i, European manual 740i, 540i;[1] as well as the M62 powered 5 series sedans, as well as S62 powered vehicles such as the Z8 and M5.[2][3] This gearbox was also used in the E34 M5, E36 M3, and E46 M3s with the S38B38, S50B32, and S54B32 engines respectively.[4][5][6]

For the aforementioned applications there are three incompatible bellhousing boltpatterns: one for 8-cylinder engines (540i, 740i, 840i, E39 M5, Z8), one for the 5-series 6-cylinder engines (E34 M5, only for 1995), and one for the 3-series 6-cylinder engines (M3, 330i). It is unknown whether bellhousings can be swapped among them.

The bellhousings can be interchanged between the E39 M5, E39 540I and the E46 M3.[7]

Among owners and mechanics, the transmission has a reputation for being strong, quiet, and routinely able to handle considerably more torque than its official rating. However, internal shift linkages are its one known failure point, and the real problem is that neither BMW nor Getrag will provide replacement internal parts (except some shift linkage parts), rebuild instructions, or rebuild service. The only solution to a failed gearbox is a replacement transmission.

Gear ratios:

1 2 3 4 5 6 R
4.227 2.528 1.669 1.226 1.000 0.828 3.746
Applications:

1996-1999 BMW E36 M3 (Euro)
2001-2006 BMW E46 M3
1993-1996 BMW E34 540i and M5
1996-2004 BMW E39 540i and M5
1994–1998 BMW E38 7 Series
1993–1999 BMW E31 8 series
2000–2003 BMW E52 Z8

I'm not a gearhead but whatever type of car uses this has a sweet gearbox.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 07-04-2016 at 12:52 AM.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:35 AM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

I'm sure there would have been a V8 S and R manual option if there was a box that would take the power, and cheap enough to put into the F- Type build.
So, I for one think it's B.S, but a great rumour!

Old 07-04-2016, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
I'm sure there would have been a V8 S and R manual option if there was a box that would take the power, and cheap enough to put into the F- Type build.
So, I for one think it's B.S, but a great rumour!
The Tremec 5,6 or 7 speed transmissions would all meet those requirements. It appears, Jag has an exclusive deal going with ZF.

Last edited by Unhingd; 07-04-2016 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The Tremec 5,6 or 7 speed transmissions would all those requirements. It appears, Jag has an exclusive deal going with ZF.
+1

JLR could have purchased MT transmissions off the shelf from Tremec, that would have easily handled SVR power and beyond. For many years, almost any MT car w/ more significantly more than 400HP has had a Tremec in it. Cost is likely less than either ZF or Getrag boxes.

I had an '08 E92 M3 w/ the Getrag 6MT, and it was good, but not nearly as good as the Tremec in my C7. It was also at the edge of what it could handle power-wise w/ 414 HP in the E90/92/93, but that engine did not make even 300 lb. ft. of torque. The base C7 is 455HP/460TQ.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-04-2016 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:18 AM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The Tremec 5,6 or 7 speed transmissions would all those requirements. It appears, Jag has an exclusive deal going with ZF.
Yep, bulk buy form ZF, same goes for the P-Zero's as well I guess!!

Old 07-05-2016, 12:24 AM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

epic typo is epic

Old 07-08-2016, 08:58 PM
Received 154 Likes on 82 Posts

ZF already had the copyrights to plans of the transmission that would fit. There was no other research required..seems like a no brainer, if your already using there auto gearbox, just sign up for a low volume amount of manual transmissions to pair up with the 3.0L...

As for adding tremec to British brands..it's been done and didn't end so well. A T56 was fitted to the old Vanquish, it was one of the only manual transmissions capable of handling that amount power. Or so they thought, one of the biggest issues with the old Vanquish, was the overdrive gears eating the dirt and spinning freely. Now I know tremec has come a long way since then paired to engine making huge amounts of power. I'd expect to see Tremec in any american muscle vehicle, it's really how Tremec *Borg Warner* has built there name is with Ford/Chevy/Drag racing.

But with Jaguar being stubborn British, a good percentage of there engineers have worked along side Ford in the Jag/LR/AM days..So I highly doubt they would give Tremec another shot, being the split from Ford doesn't influence the thoughts of Tremec. I have a feeling they would stick with companies on there side of the water to reduce costs, like ZF...or even Graziano. A Graziano box 7-spped manual shift in the rear to help traction and even the ratio due to the lighter mid mass would be awesome. At the end of the day, I highly doubt Jaguar begs on ZF's door to supply a trans to suit there needs, believe it's more the other way around and much respect for ZF landing numerous contracts with numerous brands, especially in the high end market.

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 07-08-2016, 09:41 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuning@VelocityAP
ZF already had the copyrights to plans of the transmission that would fit. There was no other research required..seems like a no brainer, if your already using there auto gearbox, just sign up for a low volume amount of manual transmissions to pair up with the 3.0L...

As for adding tremec to British brands..it's been done and didn't end so well. A T56 was fitted to the old Vanquish, it was one of the only manual transmissions capable of handling that amount power. Or so they thought, one of the biggest issues with the old Vanquish, was the overdrive gears eating the dirt and spinning freely. Now I know tremec has come a long way since then paired to engine making huge amounts of power. I'd expect to see Tremec in any american muscle vehicle, it's really how Tremec *Borg Warner* has built there name is with Ford/Chevy/Drag racing.

But with Jaguar being stubborn British, a good percentage of there engineers have worked along side Ford in the Jag/LR/AM days..So I highly doubt they would give Tremec another shot, being the split from Ford doesn't influence the thoughts of Tremec. I have a feeling they would stick with companies on there side of the water to reduce costs, like ZF...or even Graziano. A Graziano box 7-spped manual shift in the rear to help traction and even the ratio due to the lighter mid mass would be awesome. At the end of the day, I highly doubt Jaguar begs on ZF's door to supply a trans to suit there needs, believe it's more the other way around and much respect for ZF landing numerous contracts with numerous brands, especially in the high end market.
Sorry, but I can't help myself.... there were too many of the misuse of the word "there" in your post. It should be "their."
http://tinyurl.com/zjuh8ym

Old 07-09-2016, 10:38 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

In spite of the grammar police (), I enjoy reading posts from someone who clearly knows what he's talking about. ('About which he's talking' if you want to get picky. :grin: )

Old 07-09-2016, 10:56 AM
Received 154 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by drbill
Sorry, but I can't help myself.... there were too many of the misuse of the word "there" in your post. It should be "their."

Sorry about that, didn't realise it was that bad. I have to admit, when writing through the phone ap, I'm incredibly lazy on correcting grammer and spelling..aka the above post ..Nonetheless, no harm taken.

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 07-09-2016, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

As someone who likes to always be, insists on being, grammatically correct at all times (and there are all too many posts here with one or many more mistakes), I'm also reminded of:

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Bset reagdrs,
Jya

The following users liked this post:
Mbourne (07-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member

That last post was randomly crafted by one of the thousand monkeys trying to replicate a Shakespeare play.

The following users liked this post:
Mbourne (07-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 06:57 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuning@VelocityAP
Sorry about that, didn't realise it was that bad. I have to admit, when writing through the phone ap, I'm incredibly lazy on correcting grammer and spelling..aka the above post ..Nonetheless, no harm taken.

I hate trying to post via my phone! Sorry, you're a good sport about it.... that's what happens when I drink and post on the internet!!

Old 07-09-2016, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member

I hate trying to post via my phone! Sorry, you're a good sport about it.... that's what happens when I drink and post on the internet!!
It is a far, far better thing to drink and post than to drink and drive. (where's that scotch bottle?)