F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To SVR or not to SVR (2017)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 05:13 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default To SVR or not to SVR (2017)

The local dealer is trying to convince me to turn in the 2015 R early and get a 2017 SVR on the lot.

What should I be paying attention to on the terms (both are leased)?

Old 07-18-2017, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Your lease return has value locked in it, as buy-out/residual price is likely quite below market value. Make sure this is factored into negotiation. 2017 SVR is probably hardest car to sell out there - top of the line car when 2018 refresh about to hit showrooms. You should get at least 15% off MSRP on that SVR to take it off the lot.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:33 PM

Makes sense. Thanks for the insights. I will bear this in mind.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:36 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

The real question is... What do you gain by trading up?
Putting aside the HP and torque numbers, does the svr feel faster? Does it handle notably different in daily (albeit spirited) driving? Does it look different enough that you wouldn't forget it's a different car in front of your house?

I'm annoyed at all these reviews that look at a single trim for any car they review. Most people consider getting an s or an r, or blowing away their savings (or being rich) and getting the svr. I don't know the answer to the above questions, but that's what I wonder when I think about which f type I want to get.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:45 AM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by hardwired
The real question is... What do you gain by trading up?

I'm annoyed at all these reviews that look at a single trim for any car they review. Most people consider getting an s or an r, or blowing away their savings (or being rich) and getting the svr. I don't know the answer to the above questions, but that's what I wonder when I think about which f type I want to get.
What gets me about the reviewers is how nonchalant they are about the price - for example "only $xxxx more for this additional option, or "only $xxxx for the next trim level." If I bought a SVR I would not be using all its capabilities; too much car for me personally. It borders on supercar or track car, yes?

Of course dealers will encourage trading up. Lots of times when I can't decide, I do nothing.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:40 PM

I can confirm that there is a noticeable difference to me between the 2015 R and 2017 SVR. For one thing, my 2015 R is RWD and has hydraulic power steering - it is one of the few that came to the US in that configuration.

Even the R is far too much car for most driving situations. The SVR more so. But I think that can be said even about the base level F Type. I don't think we are driving these cars because they are a good value for basic everyday transportation.

Of course, other opinions may differ.

The difference/$$ ratio certainly matters quite a bit in the final decision too. In any case, I have already decided what I think about the difference between the two vehicles, so now it is just down to the $$ to fill out the equation.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:39 PM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Default SVR is that good

I've posted this before...I had a 2015 R and upgraded to the 2017 SVR. Totally different car. Everything about it is better. The R was much more coarse and fairly unrefined. It was fun, but it was loud and hard. The SVR glides. It's soooo much smoother, faster and quieter with regard to road and wind noise. Engine and exhaust sound is deeper and more refined. Steering is surprisingly much much better even though it's electric. I had an XFR and I loved the smoothness. The F-Type R disappointed me because it wasn't smooth...The SVR has the smoothness of a proper Jaguar, but with the sharpness of the best sports and GT cars.

Jaguar doesn't market the SVR as a a reworked F-Type, but it should because it addresses all of the shortcomings of the lower models. Remarkable. Worth every extra dollar for it.

The following users liked this post:
bobjagbob (03-16-2022)
Old 07-23-2017, 07:09 AM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Can't help you on the T's and C's with a lease.

2015 RWD R's over this side of the pond have electric steering, which I feel was a step in the right direction, albeit a very subtle difference between it and the first gen hydraulic setup.
I guess it's because of the MY thing, your 2015's are 2014's I think, hence why you still had the hydraulic setup?

We tried an SVR coupé (so not a fair comparison to our RWD V8R vert I know). Interestingly, we found the contrary; the exhaust note was only very slightly deeper, the steering slightly sharper, the AWD system certainly made the car feel much more heavy, and a bit more GT like. There was no noticeable power increase felt. Even the sales guy said that the enhancements over the 2015R was not worth the price increase, so we stayed with our RWD. Of course everything is subjective, and it's interesting to read how people gauge enhancements.

Mind you with all that said, we don't daily drive the F, just enjoy it and drive it the fine weather, using as much power as we can, so our view is based on 'spirited' driving only!

Old 07-23-2017, 09:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO you have to factor in many things. is the exterior and interior different enough to justify a 20k bump in price? Will you use the extra enhancements they did to the car? If you like attention, will people notice this car is different from any other F type?For me it was a downright no. The R was almost the same decision but the price difference was more justifiable for me. JLR really needs to make their SVR line way better than the rest of the line to make the additional 20k an easier decision

Old 07-23-2017, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jagged Wire
What gets me about the reviewers is how nonchalant they are about the price - for example "only $xxxx more for this additional option, or "only $xxxx for the next trim level." If I bought a SVR I would not be using all its capabilities; too much car for me personally. It borders on supercar or track car, yes?

Of course dealers will encourage trading up. Lots of times when I can't decide, I do nothing.
ikr...
25k for 25hp?!?
I'm watching the review to hear your "expert" opinion, so tell me if the car is worth the premium. Brian Cooley is the only guy who talks about cost like it's a real consideration for buyers, I just wish he'd do more reviews and have access to different models.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:14 PM
Default Missing my point

I think everybody is missing the point of my previous post. They are not just a few enhancements. The whole car has been reworked for the SVR. Believe me, I was the biggest skeptic, but then after I drove it and certainly after I have been living with the SVR, I can honestly tell you that the whole car has been reworked to be much more refined and smooth.

So, it's not $25,000 for 25 hp, but rather $25,000 to realize the full potential of the F-Type without compromising what makes Jaguar special. The grace is back with the SVR.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:08 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

For me there are too many cars out there that I want to try - I can't imagine trading in the F Type, or any brand for essentially the same model but just a couple of years younger. Would somehow feel I have missed an opportunity for a new experience.

Will probably keep the F Type a couple more years then move on - hopefully to a used McLaren 570S dependent on how much they have depreciated by then!

Old 07-23-2017, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by XFactoR
I think everybody is missing the point of my previous post. They are not just a few enhancements. The whole car has been reworked for the SVR. Believe me, I was the biggest skeptic, but then after I drove it and certainly after I have been living with the SVR, I can honestly tell you that the whole car has been reworked to be much more refined and smooth.

So, it's not $25,000 for 25 hp, but rather $25,000 to realize the full potential of the F-Type without compromising what makes Jaguar special. The grace is back with the SVR.
I don't think I completely missed your point, although I appreciate your expanding on it. I was just expressing my annoyance at car reviews that leave me with no new information. I know the numbers, I want someone to tell me how big the difference is in actual driving. That's what youre doing. I wish car reviewers did the same, while incorporating the price difference into that discussion.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:55 PM

Completely agree. I got your point....nobody, even JLR, doesn't do a good job highlighting the differences in the driving experience....

Old 07-24-2017, 07:01 AM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

having had a RWD V8s vert and now an SVR vert, I can say the smooth but constant power build is definitely better, the steering is definitely better and actually the suspension is definitely better, going from RWD to AWD is a massive leap, I can now plant the throttle with wild abandon and not worry about the back end coming round on me. I can't say a V8r AWD would be any worse though, not tried, the interior though definitely a much more pleasant environment, just the quality and feel of the seats and the leather are a cut above. is it worth 25k more, probably not but who ever bought a car like this on rational thought? we'd all be driving a prius if that were the case

Old 01-12-2019, 05:12 PM
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

(ignore - responded on the wrong post)

Last edited by Brock; 01-12-2019 at 10:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
scm (01-12-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 318 Posts

deleted, wrong post

Last edited by powerhouse; 01-13-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:39 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

I'm sorry. I think that SVR (#17) is a long long way from the clean cool "graceful" appearance of the original car. Although I appreciate the nice comments one gets about the F-Type, I really don't like driving a car that simply attracts attention (admiration is a different). I guess it goes back to my college days when it was sometime advantageous to be inconspicuous. For me the R (by whatever name) is the one to own. And a MY15 RWD might be the choicest of the lot. The only other F-Type that would tempt me next time is the P 7. There is one around here and I admit I think it is pretty cool. And people notice it in a subtle way. It is unique and still graceful. 2¢

Last edited by Suaro; 01-13-2019 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:13 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Significantly greater depreciation, the SVR compared to the R.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to have to endorse the AMG. I love the F-Type, particularly the AWD models, but the body work on the SVR imo skips "aggressive" and goes straight to "boy racer." I love the leather and stitching in the SVR, but the exterior is just too much for me. And while I don't mind the interior of my F-Type, the AMG interior just feels so much more special. I've never driven the AMG, but I know people who have moved from the jag to the AMG because apparently it's a more comfortable ride. That is one thing I've noticed with my F-Type. I love it, but some people think the ride is just too harsh.

Quick Reply: To SVR or not to SVR (2017)