F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SVR spacers with CC

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2021, 12:01 PM
Received 119 Likes on 68 Posts
Default SVR spacers with CC

Anyone have any info on spacer sizing for a svr with CC and storm wheels? Also does anyone know the offset and widths on the storm wheels, that would be helpful as well. Thanks

Old 10-09-2021, 10:19 AM

Bump. I mean Maelstrom not storm.

Last edited by Terrance39; 10-09-2021 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-09-2021, 09:27 PM
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm not sure of the offsets of the storm wheels. I have an SVR with the Maelstrom wheels and I believe the offsets are 55 front and 54 rear. I ordered 17 mm wide spacers from Larry at Motorsport Tech. I had an older set that were also 17 mm thick, but 150 mm in diameter that I had on my previous R. The diameter of those was too wide for the CC brakes because those seem to have a dished, or curved, surface for the spacer to sit against. So I mention this to Larry and he said, "Yeah, those with CC brakes need a smaller diameter to fit inside the dished, or curved part of the brake rotor." So, the new ones are 17mm thick, and 139mm in diameter. They fit well and push the tires out nicely. Now, having said all of that, I get a moaning sound under braking with the spacers installed. I take the spacers off and there is no sound under braking. I put them back on, meticulously torque all lug nuts, and I get moaning under braking. I can't figure out why that would be. It's not tire rub, it's not a high pitched squealing, but it is definitely happening when the brake pads meet the rotors. Spacers off, no sound. Spacers back on, noise... you get the picture. It's got to have something to do with the two piece rotors - perhaps they flex under braking either too much, or too little with the spacers installed. So, I have taken them off. Good luck - perhaps in your search you will find a solution to this potential issue with the CC brakes.

Old 10-09-2021, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by M3 Wrath
I'm not sure of the offsets of the storm wheels. I have an SVR with the Maelstrom wheels and I believe the offsets are 55 front and 54 rear. I ordered 17 mm wide spacers from Larry at Motorsport Tech. I had an older set that were also 17 mm thick, but 150 mm in diameter that I had on my previous R. The diameter of those was too wide for the CC brakes because those seem to have a dished, or curved, surface for the spacer to sit against. So I mention this to Larry and he said, "Yeah, those with CC brakes need a smaller diameter to fit inside the dished, or curved part of the brake rotor." So, the new ones are 17mm thick, and 139mm in diameter. They fit well and push the tires out nicely. Now, having said all of that, I get a moaning sound under braking with the spacers installed. I take the spacers off and there is no sound under braking. I put them back on, meticulously torque all lug nuts, and I get moaning under braking. I can't figure out why that would be. It's not tire rub, it's not a high pitched squealing, but it is definitely happening when the brake pads meet the rotors. Spacers off, no sound. Spacers back on, noise... you get the picture. It's got to have something to do with the two piece rotors - perhaps they flex under braking either too much, or too little with the spacers installed. So, I have taken them off. Good luck - perhaps in your search you will find a solution to this potential issue with the CC brakes.
Thanks for the help. How loud is the moaning, was it all the time or just on hard braking? Are you still using stock tire sizes? Were your wheels fitting flush with the spacers fitted? Are you lowered at all?

Old 10-09-2021, 10:05 PM

Also, did you go to aftermarket wheels? If you did, what offsets did you use? When I had my R, the offsets I used to get a nice fitment was 20x9 30 offset and 20x11 25 offset. I'm not sure if that will work on the svr, especially on the rear.

Old 10-10-2021, 10:34 AM
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

The sound is difficult to describe - it's like a break squeal, but not as high pitched. And yes, it was every time I braked, which I found embarrassing in traffic. I'm driving this $140K sports car and it sounds awful coming to a stop. It was almost as if just one of the brake pads was making contact and vibrating, rather than both squeezing the rotor. Anyway, I previously had 20x9 - 36 and 20x10.5 - 21 forged wheels on my R. I put them on the SVR when I first got it just to see how it looked. NOPE! I believe the SVR has a wider track width so you have to go back to square one and get different offsets. The 17mm spacers looked pretty good (which brings ET to 38 front and 37 Rear), although I would have liked a bit more offset in the rear - maybe 20mm (which would bring ET down to 34). I have not lowered it yet so I can't say if that would rub or not. Keep me updated on what sizes you go with. I think getting new wheels rather than spacers is the way to go, just make sure the wheel maker knows that it has to clear those huge calipers.

Old 10-10-2021, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by M3 Wrath
The sound is difficult to describe - it's like a break squeal, but not as high pitched. And yes, it was every time I braked, which I found embarrassing in traffic. I'm driving this $140K sports car and it sounds awful coming to a stop. It was almost as if just one of the brake pads was making contact and vibrating, rather than both squeezing the rotor. Anyway, I previously had 20x9 - 36 and 20x10.5 - 21 forged wheels on my R. I put them on the SVR when I first got it just to see how it looked. NOPE! I believe the SVR has a wider track width so you have to go back to square one and get different offsets. The 17mm spacers looked pretty good (which brings ET to 38 front and 37 Rear), although I would have liked a bit more offset in the rear - maybe 20mm (which would bring ET down to 34). I have not lowered it yet so I can't say if that would rub or not. Keep me updated on what sizes you go with. I think getting new wheels rather than spacers is the way to go, just make sure the wheel maker knows that it has to clear those huge calipers.
Thanks for the info man, this is very helpful. Did you have any pics with the 17mm spacers on?

Old 10-10-2021, 10:51 AM

I spoke to a guy on Facebook that said he has aftermarket wheels on his svr with CC. He used 20x9 42 offset. And 20x10.5 with a 32 offset.