F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SVR tune that starts bucking wildly at around130mph and possible audio fi

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016 | 02:40 AM
|
Veteran Member
Default SVR tune that starts bucking wildly at around130mph and possible audio fi

Hi guys,

Trust me no tune flaming here I just need my car not to act to hit a wall at 130mph mid turn on a track. The DCS saved my butt or I'd be ordering another car.

So I had a tune installed, not from forum sponsors I must add but from someone who has supplied many tunes in the past. So no flaming the tuner I just want my stock tune before I head to VIR.

What's happening is I get to 130ish and the the Revs start bouncing and it won't pass 140. if you stay in it it does the same. Before leaving I bought bought a ligitament mongoose from Drew Tech and a full year programming subscription for SDD just to update the audio, which I'll descripe I a moment.

So I log data and I'm getting misfires in cylinder bank 2. I also noticed this one line mentioning Project 7, which makes me think my config was run through one of those credit driven Croatian( no disrespect to Croatia) tuner sites that takes your config and finds a tune in their library that's close. If they don't have one they make it in a day. I've been in computers in cars my entire life and you can't write good code for a new car in 30 seconds or a day. It took me days on a dyno and track to tune a Motec system.

So any of you guys that know SDD can help me get the stock tune I'd be very grateful.

On to the audio I flashed the amp and head unit, and nav. Day and night difference in both systems. I flashed it a few times and orders to see the differences On the last two flashes I of the amp during the dynamic sound check I did one with the doors closed closed and engine off. Sounded horrible on certain tracks as before, rattles distortion etc. so I flashed it again and with ran the sound check with the doors closed and the engine running. Huge difference, the highs are clear and the subs are punchy and but still don't go to high on the bass or sub but they are over the average mark. I'll snap a pic tomorrow. That makes me think when they are being flashed it's not being done in a consistent setting. Engine on/off, door open/closed, talking/no talking, there's millions of variables.

Being dynamic it needs to be base lined in a "static" environment. When I do that for my home system, I use 8 mics where people would sit, while also sitting on my spot on the couch with a mic on my head while slouching. Yes I'm that **** about it, but guess what it's sounds amazing. One day a plane flew by while I was tuning and it threw off the entire sound spectrum and it sounded horrible. Reran it and it was 100x subjectivity better in sound quality. The vocals and bass were so much more clearer.

So any audio nut would catch that change and understand the cause and effect and correct it. So when I tried it in the car it worked as well. The jag sound check runs a similar high tone 10kHz+ and white noise test. So there may be some updateed beta files floating around but considering some cars sound great while others bad on the same software, it leads me to lean towards a process and procedure issue. In my world of building major data centers and enterprise MS systems its the greatest cause of deviation using the same software drivers etc.

On another note I also have the latest SDD/ Drewtech mongoose running on windows 10 anniversary. While on vacation I was at MS and got a hold of some debugging tools and found most of the problems revolved around exe kernel mode access and the need the to run as an admin. Took a few days but it works. Keep in mind I'm using the actually drew tech mongoose and 1500 full year SDD subscription to avoid any other technical issues and jag can have my 1500 if it makes them more profitable so we get better cars i.e less plastic interior crap. Sorry I hate the feel plastic interior parts. more CF or leather please I'm happy to pay for it. We deserve lighter weight and Turbo S Quality ineriors if we like.

One more thing the SVR is a freaking monster on the track, who ever wrote the dynamics should be awarded a Nobel prize for getting a 4K lbs car to pull 1.2Gs perfectly balanced and making Porsche drivers sweat. In dynamic mode it didn't interfere once. Other than the tune issue all is good and the updated NAV made my 700 mile drive a breeze.

If anyone with greater SDD programming experience can help please let me know it's greatly appreciated.

Sorry for any typos I'm using my iPhone.

The following users liked this post:
TR64ever (11-26-2016)
Old 11-25-2016 | 05:41 AM
Veteran Member

If you didn't store your OEM tune, the only way to get it back on the car is to fess up to your dealer and ask them to restore it. The OEM tune is unique to your car given the imbedded identifiers. Then work with VelocityAP or Eurotoys on the tune. That way you'll have their new tune and the OEM tune both on the same device so that you can load whichever whenever.

MaximA (11-27-2016)
Old 11-25-2016 | 11:16 AM
|
Veteran Member

I can get it back they already know and few other customers have had issues. So even with a programming liscense you you can pull down your own VIN tied tune? I can pull everything else VIN related without an issue.

Thanks for the quick reply over a holiday.

Old 11-26-2016 | 12:21 AM

You should give Stuart at VelocityAP a call or email. I have been running a couple of their custom SVR tunes for a few weeks with no problems. They are continually working to refine the tune for me in response to feedback.

MaximA (11-27-2016)
Old 11-27-2016 | 05:48 AM
|
Veteran Member

Your one step ahead of me I just sent him a message as you all look happy with his tunes.

Unhingd's car is a monster thats impressive and has to be fun with a manual!

Glad to hear your running the SVR tunes, I'll get it installed this week!

Thank you both for taking the time to respond. I configured some minor settings the way I want but I'm ready for a real tune.

Last edited by MaximA; 11-27-2016 at 05:53 AM.
Old 11-28-2016 | 09:23 PM

The Project 7 title to the PCM is because that's what Jaguar uses to calibrate the SVR. The file is really a mirror image, with some changes in the hex for the transfercase in the SVR versus just RWD in the P7. I truly think that's the real name of the file..

If you want to tackle PCM related stuff like flashing with SDD, you have to diagnose a problem that relates to the need to possible flash the PCM. System Driven Diagnostics takes the thinking out of the repair and really makes the mechanic a parts changer..it cripples a large amount of really good techs, but helps cover the *** of those less talented ppl in the field.

Use SDD to scan for an complaint of the engine light on, and also a engine hesitation, read the codes, goto recommendation tab and just read a document. Close the document and now you should see a Extra tab appear on top, click the Extra tab and see if PCM is there..it should be. If it's not then you might have to play with the complaint concerns to trigger the allowance to have the ability to flash the PCM. If no matter the complaint you can't get the PCM option to flash, then your SDD version might be capped for independent use and only allow PCM flashing on dealer registered machines.

Little FYI though, I wouldn't flash the PCM with a tuned file on there. It's a 50/50 if the PCM will be bricked or not. Basically SDD has a given checksum calculation, when something is changed in the file that SDD might interrupt, the checksum is only updated to what SDD believes it should be but NOT what it actually is due to the tune done in the middle of the hex edited. Sometimes when flashing as an existing module SDD does a complete write and other times it just updates sections of the hex that should be different than the stock loaded file from factory flash. You can flash as a New module, but sometimes you need to mess with programming keys, which could make you light your car on fire with the wonderful KVM issue JLR have.

MaximA (11-28-2016)
Old 11-29-2016 | 12:51 AM
|
Veteran Member

thank you for information Stuart, and more detailed information on the SDD. I'm really looking for a in depth view on the car operates and metrics change over time. I'm just a car and computer guy that doesn't have to know but is interested. Also being able being able to modify the behavior of certain features is nice. Yes its expensive and can actually cause damage your car I stay on the safe side. It's also nice to update modules based on articles that may pertain to you.

I'm happy with one good tune and a pulley. I'd love some headers but I'm afraid to ruin the SVR sound.

Old 11-29-2016 | 01:38 AM

If you're using SDD to write over a tune that was flashed with a Kess or other device then you MUST take the "program new module" routine, and never the "program existing module" one.

The "new" module routine writes everything from the as-built data stored in the SDD, the "existing" module routine will copy a lot of data from the PCM and re-write it along with whatever the latest cal file in SDD is.

If there is a mismatch between the two you're gonna have a bad day...

The new module routine is the way to go here.

You don't need to go through the symptoms just go to the Service Functions tab, down the bottom "Configure new Powertrain Control Module"

Last edited by Cambo; 11-29-2016 at 01:41 AM.
MaximA (12-01-2016)
Old 11-29-2016 | 02:04 AM
|
Veteran Member

Cambo, thank you for the information, I will get PCM reprogrammed tomorrow so I can get the proper file out for a tune.

I appreciate the help!

Old 12-01-2016 | 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by MaximA
... and the updated NAV made my 700 mile drive a breeze.
Can you elaborate on the updated NAV please? Was this a map update or an actual touch screen software update?

Details?

Thx

Old 12-01-2016 | 07:50 PM
|
Veteran Member

It was was the touch screen module update but I flashed the module to as built by VIN and any updated configuration files.

The TSM service never worked before and I would get some really odd routes. Npw it seems much more functional and a bit faster.

I'm not sure how to update the maps I have not read that far, but does mention the need of an SD card that came with the car which I do not have.

Soon as I get my PCM reset, I'll start my research into other areas.

Old 12-01-2016 | 08:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MaximA
It was was the touch screen module update but I flashed the module to as built by VIN and any updated configuration files.

The TSM service never worked before and I would get some really odd routes. Npw it seems much more functional and a bit faster.

I'm not sure how to update the maps I have not read that far, but does mention the need of an SD card that came with the car which I do not have.

Soon as I get my PCM reset, I'll start my research into other areas.
If you have the DVD/CD player in the center console, that's how your map gets updated. Otherwise, there's an SD drive in the center console.

MaximA (12-01-2016)
Old 12-04-2016 | 01:58 AM
|
Veteran Member

After a wonderful day with SDD and its myriad mazes matrices of questions and PDFs to finally arrive at a inch of what what actually to be found.

Not only the PCM, but the TCM, BCM, transfer case, read diff you name it, came from another car ('16 S/R wonder which is speed limited) had no configuration or was an unknown module.

I got everything tied to the VIN back other than the PCM as it would not allow me to flash the same version as what it thinks is on the car. Although it knows the configuration within the module is faulty.

Luckily all the other components had updates so I was able to get the car pieced back together and took it out on a run and only get DTC codes for the PCM.

So I got my PCM back but they also have all the data from the "flight recorder" and logs since the car was built. Stay with the recommended and trusted forum tuners.

This could have been a disaster and really is in many ways if I had not had a hunch on the high end power and odd behaviour of 2017 features, such as the wing. Then I just bought and learned the software, and can't take anything within my car as a "blackbox".

On a good note the audio update did help my buzzing tweeters, but it doesn't seem ready for primetime. Most definitely headed in the right direction

Old 12-04-2016 | 02:08 AM
|
Veteran Member

Heres part of a similar section of the PCU Tune while still u[pating.

Last edited by MaximA; 12-04-2016 at 02:12 AM.
Old 12-04-2016 | 09:20 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

The 'front seat massage' comes from application of the Go pedal.

MaximA (12-04-2016)
Old 12-04-2016 | 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
The 'front seat massage' comes from application of the Go pedal.
Or your passenger.

MaximA (12-04-2016)
Old 12-04-2016 | 03:38 PM
|
Veteran Member

Their obviously share between cars so trust me there is some really odd stuff in there. I've only spent a few weeks studying, asking questions and the modern car is complicated and amazing. Luckily I have some experience, and support but a lot to learn. I'm glad to have an actual SVR not a '16 S, now I can find more HP with the help of an honest talented tuner.

It's also easy to brick a component, so if you are in need of updates I'm sure they install during scheduled maintenance or as needed. I personally rather so computer work than install my BMC filters which are still sitting here. Maybe today is the day.

Try to explain that one to your dealer when you seat massager isn't working LOL! If you do please record it.

Old 12-05-2016 | 05:24 PM
|
Veteran Member

Finally all done updated and verified, no more odd features showing up and zero harmful DTCs, while its running. Thank you everyone who helped and/or gave me a chuckle in the meantime it greatly appreciated, but my dang seat massage and rear entertainment just wont work LOL

Thank you all that helped I finally have the car I purchased! It looked like it had a RR or sedan PCM on it and someone removed all the configurations for all the components tied to the VIN. My car was basically using a backup limp home configuration for all mechanical parts.

I have better things to do with my time, so I'll let Jaguar take care of it since its all part of my cars history and can devalue the car if it's not logged. If anyone sees that many modules re-flashed they will think it was a lemon so now the issues have been documented in detail for future reference. I got read the riot act but they were understanding as they have seen this exact same procedure pulled off on other cars through third parties..

Be careful getting a tune, if its good no worries but be careful. Use only people that are recommended to you, are proven safe my the forum and your gut. I missed the gut part, and it nearly ruined my car. Ask a lot of questions, it's not rocket science just a bunch of computer modules that could save your life.

Old 12-05-2016 | 06:52 PM
Veteran Member

Congratulations getting it sorted out. Now go have fun driving it.

MaximA (12-05-2016)