F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SVR's Not Selling?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017 | 12:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by XFactoR
That is simply not true...the SVR is much MORE refined than the R in every way. I had a 2015 R and now have a 2017 SVR. So much more different than I would have thought.
Slightly off topic, would you mind elaborating on differences you have noticed.

Not doubting your comment, just genuinely interested to hear any details.

Old 09-15-2017 | 11:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kief
Somebody jump on this Firesand SVR for under $100k!!!
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2546/overview/

$889.08 base monthly 33/10 and I'm sure you could squeeze even some more money from them, lowering your monthly even further!

Although my '17 R deal is ridiculously good, maybe I should have waited--would have loved an SVR
I was tempted but insurance killed that approach for this as a "toy car" for us. Being 54 with no accidents and living in a "cheap" insurance state & use my brother-in-laws insurance company, rates here are generally pretty cheap but NOT cheap enough to allow me to warrant consideration. I can't imagine the insurance costs for someone living in a HIGH-cost insurance state and heaven forbid if they have ANY points against their license! LOL

As an example, the '17 Type S would have essentially been a wash vs my current 2012 X5 with the R vert running about $300/year more (so workable). The SVR was going to be $1,500 more. However, since was going to be an additional "toy car" that is only driven on the weekend, that would mean that I would have to pay and EXTRA $2,355/year premium just for the privilege of having this in my garage for some fun weekend runs & before you ask, YES I did have her rate this labeling it a "pleasure only/no commute, no car pool, no etc" and she cross-checked three other different insurance companies.

Don't get me wrong. I am a "car guy" and I realize that you have to "pay to play" but at these insurance costs I don't know that I will ever be able to justify buying an SVR... when the insurance costs would be an ADDITIONAL $200/month when the lease rate was only $899!

I may have to go back to looking for a $90K '67 restomod Vette at this rate as I can insure one of those for less than $500/year

Maybe THIS is why they are slow sellers... You have to have a LOT of discretionary cash you don't mind throwing out the window

Attached Thumbnails SVR's Not Selling?-throwing-money-out-window.gif  

Last edited by ndabunka; 09-15-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-15-2017 | 03:05 PM

Odd. Going to a 17 SVR from a 15 R only added $100/year to my insurance policy.

Old 09-15-2017 | 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

Safer car IMO. RWD is for us careless rowdies.

The following users liked this post:
Desert Dawg (09-16-2017)
Old 09-15-2017 | 04:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ipitythefoo
Odd. Going to a 17 SVR from a 15 R only added $100/year to my insurance policy.
Others have indicated similar. I guess I could dig around to find other options but you would think that zero accidents (ever) and no points on a license that at least the MAJOR insurer's would offer competitive rates, right?

I pay less than $70/month for my current coverage and that includes a million dollar umbrella policy and the highest vehicle and medical coverage's possible. Heck, I could probably reduce that to 1/2 that by simply changing to the minimums so perhaps that is what others do to make their costs affordable.

Old 09-15-2017 | 09:11 PM
Veteran Member

ndabunka,
If it's just a weekend "toy" that doesn't accumulate much mileage, why not use Hagerty or Grundy Classic Car Insurance? They no longer care about the "vintage," rather the usage. I have my Pantera and my X100 XKR on Hagerty, and I think it's about $450/year, and I'm in Los Angeles. If it's not a daily driver, it would most assuredly qualify.

The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (09-16-2017)
Old 09-15-2017 | 11:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tberg
ndabunka,
If it's just a weekend "toy" that doesn't accumulate much mileage, why not use Hagerty or Grundy Classic Car Insurance? They no longer care about the "vintage," rather the usage. I have my Pantera and my X100 XKR on Hagerty, and I think it's about $450/year, and I'm in Los Angeles. If it's not a daily driver, it would most assuredly qualify.
Good point. I had not really considered Hagerty (who generally underwrites through Progressive) for a "new" car but if they would consider insuring a brand new SVR, that may well be a viable option. I have even considered wholesaling the X5 and then using the SVR as my ONLY vehicle. I work from home 100% of the time so still have no commute & I only carpool 2 days a month so those days I would simply drive my wife's ES300h because the SVR would not fit myself and three screaming 14 year olds! LOL

I just ran the numbers through Progressive and came back with only $892 for the YEAR for FULL COVERAGE without any multi-car, home or any other discounts. I used to insure my bike through Progressive so I have faith in them. Looks like I might have to retract my above post or join the group as I am trying to get the deal done. Since I work from home I put less miles on a car so maybe I could do this as a daily driver (swapping with the wife anytime I have to do the carpool thing)

Last edited by ndabunka; 09-16-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-16-2017 | 01:40 PM

That's a nice discount and the lease numbers look good, but will they actually lease you the car?

In another thread someone was saying the dealership refused to lease the car. I don't know why... maybe the sales guys realized the deal was too good and killed it out of spite, or perhaps jlr puts find kind of minimum lease deal on the svr...

Old 09-16-2017 | 01:47 PM

Reportedly, not all of the incentives are stackable for leases compared to finance. Although I was told the same thing when working a deal on my R back in July, but somehow the dealer I was working with managed to work it out.
Also, I have found some Jaguar/Land Rover dealers refuse to work with out of state clients.

Old 09-16-2017 | 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Kief
Reportedly, not all of the incentives are stackable for leases compared to finance. Although I was told the same thing when working a deal on my R back in July, but somehow the dealer I was working with managed to work it out.
Also, I have found some Jaguar/Land Rover dealers refuse to work with out of state clients.
Hmm, makes sense. Maybe they'll lease it at a lesser discount then...

Old 09-16-2017 | 03:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by hardwired
That's a nice discount and the lease numbers look good, but will they actually lease you the car?

In another thread someone was saying the dealership refused to lease the car. I don't know why... maybe the sales guys realized the deal was too good and killed it out of spite, or perhaps jlr puts find kind of minimum lease deal on the svr...
As you may have seen in that thread I would doubt that the sales person has anything to do with this deal as he has been fine to work with. Anything is negotiable so you may be able to get a "normal" $950-$1,200/month-type of lease but that would not be of interest for a "toy car". At this point I am done with the chase on this one. Best deal out there if you have cash so please reach out to them and buy it (my wife would thank you...LOL).

Last edited by ndabunka; 09-17-2017 at 02:11 PM.