Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swap my R for a California?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,603 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
It seems to me that if you need to ask for support of the idea, you have some reservations and you should not do it. Just smile and move on.

Larry
I concur. Not only that, I agree. Having said that, IF I loved the driving experience of the Ferrari (and, of course, the looks) - over the F-Type and can discern that over the brief period of time you've had or can have - AND your friend is sincere (and I have every reason to believe, based on what you say, he is), I would do the swap. Just not for the $'s differential. In my experience - and I'm the first to admit I am not the consummate businessman; professional and ethical though I always am - doing anything merely for a buck isn't the way to go. At least for me it never has been and never will be. Nothing wrong with making money, we all just might have different ways of doing so. (This not being one of them IMO).

Last edited by RickyJay52; 06-22-2016 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
You're missing the point here.
I don't think I miss the point, it is "do you like California or R more". My answer is California.

The rest is baseless speculation. Who knows, the trade might go bad and OP will end up chopped up and fed to the pigs. There isn't enough information to consider such outcomes.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:34 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Baseless speculation is the whole point of internet forums!

The following 2 users liked this post by LobsterClaws:
DJS (06-22-2016), SinF (06-22-2016)
Old 06-22-2016, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
Baseless speculation is the whole point of internet forums!
Yes, but... but...

Look, what is that?

The following users liked this post:
LobsterClaws (06-22-2016)
Old 06-22-2016, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
I concur. Not only that, I agree. Having said that, IF I loved the driving experience of the Ferrari - over the F-Type and can discern that over the brief period of time you've had or can have - AND your friend is sincere (and I have every reason to believe, based on what you say, he is), I would do the swap. Just not for the $'s differential. In my experience - and I'm the first to admit I am not the consummate businessman; professional and ethical though I always am - doing anything merely for a buck isn't the way to go. At least for me it never has been and never will be. Nothing wrong with making money, we all just might have different ways of doing so. (This not being one of them IMO).
So then you're saying that were he to have called the OP and said "Im going into the Jag dealership to trade in my California for a F straight up." There would be something unethical about the OP saying "Hey I happen to have one I'd trade you for"?

You seem to forget that for the Ortho guy, It's not about the money, or lack thereof. He knows what he wants and hates dealing with salesman.

Don't twist the parameters of the transaction into something bigger than the facts at face value.

Anyways, yea you're right, the OP is kicking back, eating popcorn and laughing at us. On to my day.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-22-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

So then you're saying that were he to have called the OP and said "Im going into the Jag dealership to trade in my California for a F straight up." There would be something unethical about the OP saying "Hey I happen to have one I'd trade you for"?

You seem to forget that for the Ortho guy, It's not about the money, or lack thereof. He knows what he wants and hates dealing with salesman.

Don't twist the parameters of the transaction into something bigger than the facts at face value.
Absolutely not Pete! There is nothing whatsoever unethical or underhanded about any of this! I'm ONLY suggesting that the OP not do the deal with $ signs in his eyes. Case closed and I wish him luck.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:20 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I'd say go for it. If pink slips change hands and you don't like it, you can always swap out without too much of a financial hit considering the much higher value of the Ferrari.

Put another way, if someone offered you a California for the payments on an F-type, do you really say no to that? Variety is the spice of life. I'd swap in a heartbeat. And I love my V8S

Old 06-22-2016, 02:20 PM
Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Well, I have to admit, it's been entertaining and at the same time, enlightening to read some of the suggestions and advice. I really do appreciate it, guys.

Well, I told my friend just a moment ago, thanks but no thanks.

The reason is, bottom line......I just love my R too damn much!

Call me crazy but when I saw my R 'vert and his California side-by-side yesterday, my R actually looked more expensive than his car (and more sinister and elegant at the same time). There's something timeless and classically beautiful about the F-Type that I find irresistable and unable to let go. (The only other car I feel the same way about is my Maserati GT).

I recently spent several K's upgrading to the Storm wheels and already have an appointment to get my car wrapped. I'm just too emotionally (and financially) invested in my R at this point in time.

There is no doubt however that the California is a sweet car. While I love the trademark Ferrari engine noise and the panache of the brand name, I ultimately felt that it wasn't a significant enough of a jump (performance-wise) over the R to do a swap (no matter the price difference). I felt that the '13 California platform is just too old compared to what's out there. Now, if my friend was offering a '15 California T or a 458, it might be a different story.

At the end of the day, I told my friend to hang onto the car and sell it to someone who is absolutely in love with it. I told him I really appreciated the offer but said to buy me a whole bunch of steak dinners instead to make up for the all the clients I sent over to him over the years.

I think I did the right thing, didn't I?

Last edited by psb1013; 06-22-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by psb1013
Well, I have to admit, it's been entertaining and at the same time, enlightening to read some of the suggestions and advice. I really do appreciate it, guys.

Call me crazy but when I saw my R 'vert and his California side-by-side yesterday, my R actually looked more expensive than his car (and more sinister and elegant at the same time). There's something timeless and classically beautiful about the F-Type that I find irresistable and unable to let go. (The only other car I feel the same way about is my Maserati GT).

I recently spent several K's upgrading to the Storm wheels and already have an appointment to get my car wrapped. I'm just too emotionally (and financially) invested in my R at this point in time.

There is no doubt however that the California is a sweet car. While I love the trademark Ferrari engine noise and the panache of the brand name, I ultimately felt that it wasn't a significant enough of a jump (performance-wise) over the R to do a swap (no matter the price difference). I felt that the '13 California platform is just too old compared to what's out there. Now, if my friend was offering a '15 California T or a 458, it might be a different story.

At the end of the day, I told my friend to hang onto the car and sell it to someone who is absolutely in love with it. I told him I really appreciated the offer but said to buy me a whole bunch of steak dinners instead to make up for the all the clients I sent over to him over the years.

Why do I bite? I hate myself sometimes.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

already have an appointment to get my car wrapped.
Not sure about the trade, but this you will regret in a short couple years. Please make sure to google 'old car wrapping' and look at the pictures. Whole car wraps, especially around edges and curves that plentiful on F-type, don't last.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member

You already answered your own question.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:32 PM

I thought about the idea of taking the California and selling it or trading it in for a SVR, another F-Type, or even a Merc AMG GTS, and even though my friend didn't specifically forbade me to doing so, I just couldn't. I see him just about every other day for lunch, and if he sees me driving around in another car, I'm not sure how he would feel about that. I've known him for a long while, personally as well as professionally. As much as I amused the thought of making some money off of this deal, I just couldn't risk damaging our friendship over it. It's just a car, after all.

Last edited by psb1013; 06-22-2016 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by SinF
Not sure about the trade, but this you will regret in a short couple years. Please make sure to google 'old car wrapping' and look at the pictures. Whole car wraps, especially around edges and curves that plentiful on F-type, don't last.

I'm just wrapping the front splitters, rocker panels, side mirrors and rear diffuser.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member

I thought about the idea of taking the California and selling it or trading it in for a SVR, another F-Type, or even a Merc AMG GTS, and even though my friend didn't specifically forbade me to doing so, I just couldn't. I see him just about every other day for lunch, and if he sees me driving around in another car, I'm not sure how he would feel about that. I've know him for a long while, personally as well as professionally. As much as I amused the thought of making some money off of this deal, I just couldn't risk damaging our friendship over it. It's just a car, after all.
Now your dear friend suffers, driving a car he doesn't love, and you, in your selfish glory, won't even help him even if it means a financial windfall.

So noble of you, so selfish of you. Ahh the complexities of life.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member

I'm just wrapping the front splitters, rocker panels, side mirrors and rear diffuser.
Don't bother wrapping the mirrors. Ask me how I know. See my current alternative post.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Are we talking a clear bra? If so; I have wrapped my new vehicles since 2001....no problems so far. My one work truck is a 2003 which I had wrap applied in a dozen spots when new and only one headlight lifted (check out the shape of a 2003 Ram headlight sometime). Since this truck hasn't sat indoors for even ONE day in the last 14 years or its life and assuming that the product has improved in the same time period.....well, I don't expect any problems on my F type stored in a climate controlled garage and driven only in decent weather.

I had my F type done in Xpel; whole hood, front, rockers, mirrors etc. Maybe I'll regret it but I doubt it.

If this isn't what we're talking about, then ignore the above! LOL

Dave

Old 06-22-2016, 03:44 PM

Now your dear friend suffers, driving a car he doesn't love, and you, in your selfish glory, won't even help him even if it means a financial windfall.

So noble of you, so selfish of you. Ahh the complexities of life.
Or the friend can just pay someone a couple grand to deal with the dealer for him and still come out ahead.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member

Oh ok, clear bra

Old 06-22-2016, 04:37 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Here's my take since I was a former Ferrari owner (2007 F430 coupe). I traded my F430 even up for my F Type R. If you decide to go for the California know that when the warranty is done, you want to be done. These cars are not inexpensive to maintain. You want to have a good shop/dealer nearby. A water/oil pump assembly will set you back around $4500 installed. A clutch will go for a minimum of $6500 installed. Fortunately the newer cars have the dual clutch so they last longer. These are prices from an inde shop. Add a few grand more for dealer repairs. The value plummets once you cross the 20K mile mark. If it's an itch to scratch then drive it until the warranty is up. Would I make the trade? I would have to say no.

Attached Thumbnails Swap my R for a California?-430.jpg  

Last edited by Tally Ho; 06-22-2016 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
Here's my take since I was a former Ferrari owner (2007 F430 coupe). I traded my F430 even up for my F Type R. If you decide to go for the California know that when the warranty is done, you want to be done. These cars are not inexpensive to maintain. You want to have a good shop/dealer nearby. A water/oil pump assembly will set you back around $4500 installed. A clutch will go for a minimum of $6500 installed. Fortunately the newer cars have the dual clutch so they last longer. These are prices from an inde shop. Add a few grand more for dealer repairs. The value plummets once you cross the 20K mile mark. If it's an itch to scratch then drive it until the warranty is up. Would I make the trade? I would have to say no.
Good grief. I was musing the other day about getting an F430 as a weekend car and keeping the F-Type as my daily. Now thoroughly convinced not to.

Quick Reply: Swap my R for a California?