F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swap Sport Seat to Performance Seat?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 12:05 PM
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Swap Sport Seat to Performance Seat?

I have a '14 V8 S with 14-way Sport Seats. Do you think I would be able to swap them out with 14-way Performance Seats without major surgery? Would they be "plug and play" without the vehicle throwing codes or major modification? My guess would be that they are fairly modular if they are both 14-way and otherwise equally functional. Thanks.

Old 01-01-2021, 08:31 AM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

EDIT: so every forum I've ever been on says "search is your friend", and I did that here and got my answer. It's theoretically possible but most definitely not "plug and play" with many perhaps insurmountable compatibility variables with the electronics.

I'm bumping this question to the top as it looks like there was no reply and I too am interested in knowing. Thanks.

Last edited by bird67; 01-01-2021 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-01-2021, 09:25 AM
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Well I guess your search abilities are better than mine. Kudos to you. I pulled up the parts schematics for both the sport and performance seats. You would be surprised at how many parts are similar between both styles- Seat back frame, side brackets, lumbar support, heating element, support spring, etc. at least on the 2014 to 2017 seats. Obviously there are some major differences with the leather, and some panels that make each seat’s unique shape.

it’s way too price prohibitive to buy piecemeal from Jag and convert an existing sport seat. But if you removed a 14 Way sport and put a 14 way performance, if the electronics/motor aspect would match up: if you moved the fore and aft switch on the door, and the signal went to the same motor, and moved the same portion of the seat frame, sport or performance.

The other electronic switch operated portions of the seats, lumbar support and heat pads, are the same both seats.

That’s why I was curious about the plug and play aspect considering the amount of shared elements between the two style seats.

I will have to do some more research, but if the door switchgear, the wiring harness, and the motors for the seats are the same, it may be more plug and play.

I would imagine a 6 way to 14 way might be much more problematic.

Happy New Year all!

Last edited by MK18; 01-01-2021 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Poor grammar
Old 01-02-2021, 06:50 AM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

MK18, ha! I wish my wiring and schematic skills matched my search abilities. On other vehicles I’ve swapped seats, installed or repaired heaters in seats, changed the rails on seats. But my confidence in being able to reliably figure out the wiring and controls necessary to go from sport to performance seats is lacking. Also, one thing I’ve done, but really hate doing, is removing and re-installing door cards. Every time I do I end up with rattles that didn’t exist before, whether from pieces of broken clips or misplaced wiring. So, like you, unless it was a matter of literal plug and play, using the existing door-mounted controls, this is a mod to far for me...and I admire you if you take it on and make it work! HNY