Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping brakes / discs between V6 and V8

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping brakes / discs between V6 and V8

Hi,

I recently purchased an F-Type V8 R which is my dream car. I already own a V6 400 sport but was desperate to own a V8 so decided to take the plunge, and am planning on selling my V6. However my V6 which I purchased from new has carbon ceramic discs and split spoke alloys - yes I did tick that box and paid a silly amount for the wheels and discs. I was planning on putting the discs (not break callipers on my new V8 and and V8 discs on the V6, as well as swapping the alloys over. However when talking to my local jaguar garage the guy in the service department said this would not be possible as the discs on the V6 are for the V6 and don't fit the V8, although he didn't seem that confident in what he was saying. I want to ask the experts here on this forum.

Are the V6 400 sport carbon ceramic discs only for that car i.e. they cannot just be swapped onto my V8? I also wonder if there would be any issues with swapping the alloys?
The V6 is a 67 plate and the V8 a 17 plate.

Regards,

Jeff.

Old 11-01-2019, 09:34 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Skullmaggots
The V6 is a 67 plate and the V8 a 17 plate..
For the benefit of non-UK readers (I'm assuming the OP is in the UK) a 67 plate denotes the car was first registered between Sept 2017 and Feb 2018, a 17 plate was first registered between March and Aug 2017.

Can't help with the brakes, though, sorry.

Old 11-01-2019, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 250 Posts

From past threads I'm not sure you want to swap the brakes. The carbon brakes advantages are they are great for track use and don't generate dust. The big disadvantage is they are stupid expensive to replace. They are not the best for plain old road use.

Also from what I have read I don't think you could just swap the discs as the pads are different too. Also I would think the calipers and caliper brackets are different.

OzXFR will chime in soon and will know for sure.

Old 11-01-2019, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
Also from what I have read I don't think you could just swap the discs as the pads are different too. Also I would think the calipers and caliper brackets are different.

OzXFR will chime in soon and will know for sure.
I expect you'd need to swap rotors, pads, calipers, brackets, and probably wheels too. The CCB rotors are a different diameter than the standard, so a straight rotor swap is not going to work.

Old 11-01-2019, 11:28 AM

Thanks guys for the replies.

Basically you're saying its not straight forward to swap the discs between the cars. I was in 2 minds anyway, but wanted to check. I'll probably leave them as they are.

However, Is it ok to swap the alloy wheels though?

Old 11-01-2019, 12:30 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

However, Is it ok to swap the alloy wheels though?
I think the carbon discs are fussy about which wheels clear them so make sure the wheels won't damage the discs if you try the swap. You haven't given us any clues about which wheels you have.

Old 11-01-2019, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Confirming what others have said, you will need to swap calipers, rotors, pads and brackets. Not a problem, since you have both full sets. I believe there are only 2 versions of the OEM 20" wheels that will fit, the wheels issued with the CCB's on the R and those issued with the CCBs on the SVR. Again, do you really want to do this? Replacing the R rotors with two piece Wortecs will get close to the temp/stopping characteristics of the CCBs without turning rotor/pad replacement into a need to take out a second mortgage.

Last edited by Unhingd; 11-01-2019 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:00 PM
Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

Totally off topic and I can't really add any new information but I do want to say that its awesome that you spec'ed CCB's on a v6, one with CCB's and a manual sold on bring a trailer and I've only seen one V6 with CCB's. Very very cool option. Congrats on the new R and good luck with whatever you choose to do, but like Unhingd said people talk very highly about the Wortec rotors, and doing some good pads like Porterfield, just put them on my S and maybe some high temp brake fluid and I bet it would be pretty close. Do some lighter alloy's and weight reduction mods like the battery and you'll notice a huge improvement.

Old 11-01-2019, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Confirming what others have said, you will need to swap calipers, rotors, pads and brackets. Not a problem, since you have both full sets. I believe there are only 2 versions of the OEM 20" wheels that will fit, the wheels issued with the CCB's on the R and those issued with the CCBs on the SVR. Again, do you really want to do this? Replacing the R rotors with two piece Wortecs will get close to the temp/stopping characteristics of the CCBs without turning rotor/pad replacement into a need to take out a second mortgage.
Yep, the swap is possible but labour intensive. Need to swap wheels as well.
DIYable but if you can't DIY and have to use a shop it will cost you a pretty penny.
All the parts listed by Lance plus the splash shields, although you can probably get away with not fitting the steel brake front splash shields as they are weeny and pretty much useless.
Last but not least you will need to drain, flush, refill and bleed the brake fluid on both cars as the CCB's use a special brew, Castrol react SRF racing high performance brake fluid which is different to the fluid used by the steel brakes.
You might be able to leave this fluid on the V6 after the brake swap but I dunno if it will work properly with the steel brakes and I wouldn't risk it.

Old 11-02-2019, 06:03 AM

Thanks guys. I'm going to leave the breaks as they are as sound like way too much work to change. However I do want to swap the wheels.

The 2 cars are:-

OY67 WBJ - F-Type 400 Sport with 20” split spoke wheels and carbon ceramic discs (not wanting to swap the brakes just the wheels). The front tyres are 255/35/ZR20 and the back are 295/30ZR20.

ET17 KTE - F-Type V8 R with 20” 5 spoke wheels, non carbon ceramic discs. The front tyres are 255/35/ZR20 and the back are 295/30ZR20.

As the tires are the same size, and the alloys are too I would think it’s possible, but I want to check with you first in case there is a gotcha there e.g. the wheels and carbon ceramic discs have to be compatible somehow.

Old 11-02-2019, 08:03 AM

Thought I’d reply so that others can see too. It’s not possible to swap these wheels as the brake callipers on the V6 with carbon ceramic discs are too wide and require a specific curve in the alloy wheel

Old 11-02-2019, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by StormtrooperFtype
Totally off topic and I can't really add any new information but I do want to say that its awesome that you spec'ed CCB's on a v6, one with CCB's and a manual sold on bring a trailer and I've only seen one V6 with CCB's. Very very cool option. Congrats on the new R and good luck with whatever you choose to do, but like Unhingd said people talk very highly about the Wortec rotors, and doing some good pads like Porterfield, just put them on my S and maybe some high temp brake fluid and I bet it would be pretty close. Do some lighter alloy's and weight reduction mods like the battery and you'll notice a huge improvement.
It sounds like that one MT with CCBs on bring a trailer belonged to one of our former forum members. CCBs were never offered on an MT, but I seem to remember that someone here made that conversion on an MT.

Old 11-02-2019, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member

Thought I’d reply so that others can see too. It’s not possible to swap these wheels as the brake callipers on the V6 with carbon ceramic discs are too wide and require a specific curve in the alloy wheel
Correct. The wheels currently on the R will probably not fit over the CCBs.