Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping round bottom and flat bottom steering wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Whatever else you want to say about the flat-bottom steering wheel, I just think it looks very cool (and different from, oh, 99% of the steering wheels out there).
Just a nice styling cue...
Can't argue with that.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:12 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
I'm with you on this one. I guess I crank the seat down low enough that my legs have never interfered with the steering wheel on any car. Maybe they put in the flat bottom so you know where to find the paddles.
I highly doubt anyone is buying them because of space constraints!

Well, they seem a bit more sporty. They have thicker bolstering and hand grips, I think that is quite comfortable.

It also gives you a sense that you are holding a smaller steering which to me somehow equates to more precision, control and agility. This may all just be perceived and not translate to anything real.

The following 2 users liked this post by rav1up:
George Smith (12-29-2021), malbec (01-27-2022)
Old 03-04-2015, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by rav1up
So I gather that this is do-able but may be too complicated for a dealer to be willing to do to be able to sell a car.
Just for completeness, were you asking a dealer to swap steering wheels between two cars on their lot?

Old 03-04-2015, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Oh yeah...one more thing: a flat-bottomed steering wheel has more of that race-car (F1, Indy) quality look, if not feel.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mahjik
Just for completeness, were you asking a dealer to swap steering wheels between two cars on their lot?
Yup, I was. They have a car that checks all the requirements I have except that they ordered it with Hex Aluminum console trim which IIRC removes flat bottom steering in the 2015 configurator. So I was asking them to swap the wheels from another car for me.

If its just about $1400 to get a replacement + install, I may consider that as well.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:47 PM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Yup, I was. They have a car that checks all the requirements I have except that they ordered it with Hex Aluminum console trim which IIRC removes flat bottom steering in the 2015 configurator. So I was asking them to swap the wheels from another car for me.

If its just about $1400 to get a replacement + install, I may consider that as well.
Never gonna happen..

Old 03-04-2015, 05:05 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Very hard to get a dealer to swap different parts unless they have two buyers that day who just happen to want to swap parts. Now swap identical parts because of "damage", you could prob get them to do that.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

You were right, only available until MY15

Jaguar Accessories Online Catalogue. - F-TYPE - INTERIOR - INTERIOR STYLING - Sports S/Wheel - Ignis paddles

Here is the parts number T2R4638

Now I have a color and a steering wheel you cannot get anymore .... getting rarer by the minute ....

Last edited by Schwabe; 03-04-2015 at 05:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rav1up (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
I don't think anyone is saying that a flat-bottomed steering wheel is a big deal, just a really nice touch and something different [and distinctive] from, oh, 99% of the steering wheels out there.

Just a nice styling cue...
Not really. They're becoming pretty common.

My wife's MB C300 has the flat bottom wheel and that ain't no F1 machine. I didn't even notice it until she asked me why it was flat, to which I said, "I have no clue, but it seems to me a new fad."

Old 03-04-2015, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Schwabe
You were right, only available until MY15

Jaguar Accessories Online Catalogue. - F-TYPE - INTERIOR - INTERIOR STYLING - Sports S/Wheel - Ignis paddles

Here is the parts number T2R4638

Now I have a color and a steering wheel you cannot get anymore .... getting rarer by the minute ....
This one seems more like what I want:
Jaguar Accessories Online Catalogue. - F-TYPE - INTERIOR - INTERIOR STYLING - Sports S/Wheel - Ignis paddles - Heated / Phone & Cruise

Let me check what it costs to get one and fix it.
Is there a price list for all accessories like illuminated tread plates, center console replacement etc?

Last edited by rav1up; 03-04-2015 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Not really. They're becoming pretty common.

My wife's MB C300 has the flat bottom wheel and that ain't no F1 machine. I didn't even notice it until she asked me why it was flat, to which I said, "I have no clue, but it seems to me a new fad."
I sense a cynic. (We're not talking pet rocks here).

Common? I doubt that. More common? Maybe. OK, probably. The vast majority of steering wheels I would venture to guess are still, overwhelmingly, round. That would make anything not round more distinctive. Which is another word for different.

And, as the French say, viva la difference.

You're hapoy with your steering wheel and I am delighted with mine. Bottom line is we're both happy.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 03-04-2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member

RJ, I'm simply agnostic, with no preference at all. I couldn't care less which steering wheel it is.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

The flat bottom wheel has a cool , racy "feel" to it, ala F1 as RJ mentioned, so if it enhances the ride,it helps for an overall better experience...as it does to me each and every time I touch that wheel.

It certainly isn't for girth, because if your stomach touched the wheel as it's placed in this car, you'd have far bigger problems just getting in and out, let alone attempting to drive, lol.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member

RJ, I'm simply agnostic, with no preference at all. I couldn't care less which steering wheel it is.
And your opinion - or lack of one - is quite apparent. And that's great. But some of us do have a preference [re] many things - big things and little things and things in between - which simply makes it right for them/me. Simple.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member

For me, the verdict is still out on the flat bottom (not that it matters, since I don't get a choice anyway). For an F1 where the steering less than a full turn lock to lock, the shape can be anything you want it to be as long as you have two hand holds. On a street car with 2 or 2.5 turns you need to able to smoothly feed the wheel from one hand to the other through tight turns (btw, how's that work with the paddles?).

Old 03-04-2015, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member

For me, the verdict is still out on the flat bottom (not that it matters, since I don't get a choice anyway). For an F1 where the steering less than a full turn lock to lock, the shape can be anything you want it to be as long as you have two hand holds. On a street car with 2 or 2.5 turns you need to able to smoothly feed the wheel from one hand to the other through tight turns (btw, how's that work with the paddles?).
Your verdict is in Lance: no flat-bottom steering wheel for you!

It takes some getting used to but using the paddles, lock to lock, and this is kinda true I think whether flat or round steering wheel, but it's more than manageable (and a joy to use).

And my comment referred to F1/Indy Car style not necessarily function. Much as I love my F-Type it's no F1/Indy Car.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member

In a case like that you can make your gear change with the shifter handle and a simple tap up or down in manual/sport mode, not all that different than what you will be doing in your 3-pedal car. Obviously, you're going to have to remove your hand from the wheel to shift.

The paddles can be awkward at times when turning from lock-to-lock, but the vast majority of the time, you can always have both hands on the wheel. The auto gives you more choices, but I still agree it's not quite as satisfying as trying to master all the skills required to properly drive a manual.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-04-2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by gotwish
I have flat bottom wheel with heat.
Mine too.. 2015 R.. I also remember the website for configuring was wrong back when I ordered the car and upon checking with the dealer, they confirmed the flat bottom with heat.
Lawrence

Old 03-04-2015, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mulmur
Mine too.. 2015 R.. I also remember the website for configuring was wrong back when I ordered the car and upon checking with the dealer, they confirmed the flat bottom with heat.
Lawrence
Thanks for pointing that out. I will have to patiently sit with the dealer when they issue the order call for the manual. I noticed at least one discrepancy on the configurator and am hoping a couple of the options that are restricted there, can actually be had.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member

The paddles can be awkward at times when turning from lock-to-lock, but the vast majority of the time, you can always have both hands on the wheel. The auto gives you more choices, but I still agree it's not quite as satisfying as trying to master all the skills required to properly drive a manual.
I am convinced that learning to properly drive paddle shifters to full effect is every bit as challenging as learning to master a manual. I have attempted to get the hang of it ever since dual clutch sequentials first appeared, but to no avail. Before the announcement of the F-Type 6 speed, I was about ready to cave and go for some professional instruction in automatic/automated transmission shifting.

Quick Reply: Swapping round bottom and flat bottom steering wheels