Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sweet wheels for the f-type

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 10:57 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default sweet wheels for the f-type

These are the Niche Lucernes in gloss black:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/op7e59htz543xxe/Photo%20Jan%2004%2C%208%2040%2024%20AM.png

I called carid.com and they can custom make them for the f-type. monoblock aluminum. Pretty sweet imo. Can you think of a better wheel for a black f-type?

Old 01-04-2014, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by jag_guy_2020
These are the Niche Lucernes in gloss black:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/op7e59htz5...%2024%20AM.png

...Can you think of a better wheel for a black f-type?
If you have to ask, I have to say, YES, I can think of better wheels. Personally, I think that black wheels on a black car is just far too much black. Black needs some contrasts to show and the wheels supposed to provide one such contrast.

Albert

Old 01-04-2014, 01:23 PM

@Albert - I'm guessing you're over 40? Here's a better pic to show off some of the concavity:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k49gy6i1nc...%2007%20PM.jpg

Old 01-04-2014, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member

@Albert - I'm guessing you're over 40? Here's a better pic to show off some of the concavity:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k49gy6i1nc...%2007%20PM.jpg
Way over 40. Yet, what's that has to do with it? I simply do not like all blacked out cars, not matter when and what. Fashion, as in black wheels being in vogue these days, never really effected my judgment when it came to likes. I do like black, rather, machine grey or steel gray wheels on colored cars but, forgive me for the suggestion, all blacked out cars look ghetto to me.

About 3 months ago I saw this XJL at my Jag dealer's service bay with all blacked out 22" wheels, all chrome trim painted flat black and I was aghast at the ghetto look of this gorgeous car. I asked the Manager who would do such barbaric thing to his luxus Jaguar and he whispered me the name of the person; one of the very top football players on the West Coast. Oh, well, as long as he likes it... I personally would never buy a black car with black wheels.

Albert

The following users liked this post:
Crovax (07-02-2014)
Old 01-04-2014, 06:04 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Black on black gloss, with red calipers and chrome rivets.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lothtq9tr5...2018.03.27.jpg

I would rather them be yellow calipers, but it wouldn't go with the red stitching. We shall see on the coupe.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:37 PM

@Albert - Black is the new bling:

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ustom-wheels/1

Guys under 40 generally think black wheels are sick. Sick is a modern slang word equivalent to the word "cool" used in the 1950's.

Burt Gummer (07-10-2016)
Old 01-04-2014, 11:44 PM

@New2Jag - Those wheels look nice on the car and even better in person. I decided to go with the wheels I posted because:

1. I want to steer clear of 20" wheels for use on Seattle streets which can be rough with a lot of potholes
2. The tornado wheels are a bit ornate/over the top. I prefer a more basic wheel which tends to have broader appeal.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:29 AM
Veteran Member

Black replaces bling on custom wheels

Guys under 40 generally think black wheels are sick. Sick is a modern slang word equivalent to the word "cool" used in the 1950's.
Thanks for pointing that out but, I can assure you that I have noticed the trend and know the meaning of "sick" as well. I was always far more individualistic than to follow "fashion trends" as described in your linked article. I think many of our fellow Jaguar owners purchase cars exactly because we do not wish to be seen in cars that are dime a dozen or, look like others. So, when the trend is heavy towards black wheels is the time when I absolutely would not want to be seen in a car with black wheels.

Also, what I suggest is to have two cars sit front to nose, one with black exterior and wheels and one with any exterior but, some bright finished wheels. Walk across the street and look at both and see which combo shows better. My experience is that black "color" tends to vanish with distance and the wheel-wells look like filled with dirty, cheap wheels (particularly given to the dust-producing pads Jaguar is using). Black looks fantastic two ways: 1) must be absolutely clean and shiny, 2) you must be very close to it to see details that will not be visible from across the street.

I love the looks of the XJL in black. Looks very elegant as you enter it. Yet, when we walked out of a restaurant a few weeks ago we found a Black XJL parked nose to tail with my Cashmere colored XJL. From a distance of, say 100 feet the black car looked definitely smaller, devoid of visible design touches, such as sheet metal bends, creases. Designers go into great lengths to bend that sheet metal so all those creases and shapes and contrasts reflect the light differently, form various degrees of shades and shadows and, in the process achieve the desired effect. Black will make those light details disappear from any distance but, from a few close feet. My dealer these days parks some F-types along the driveway as you approach in your car. From any driving distance the black car forms a dark mass while lighter colored cars show off all the details.

Now, for full disclosure, I also own a black XF but, with light colored wheels. Since I did not special order the car to my exact preferences, I accepted the black exterior because it had the choice interior with the proper accents that were more important to me (to my wife, actually, as it is her car), since inside is where we spend most of our times.

I am seriously considering the F-type coupe this summer and my preferred exterior colors will either be Italian Racing Red or that Orange color. I also like the classic BRG, however, I have not seen the F-type in that color, yet. The interiors will have to be some light combo, preferably saddle colors and definitely not black wheels.

Albert

The following 3 users liked this post by axr6:
Burt Gummer (07-10-2016), pembroke (01-09-2014), sklimii (01-05-2014)
Old 01-05-2014, 07:57 PM
cjp
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I remember black being fashionable the last couple of times around (the most recent was not that long ago). It lasts about 18/24 months and then everyone figures out how much of a pain it is to keep the cars clean enough to stay looking sharp. It's actually the only color worse than white to keep clean "enough" for some bizarre reason. Maybe the new metallics have shifted that some, but not from what I see.

Chris

Old 01-06-2014, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Black replaces bling on custom wheels

I am way under 40 and i do not think black wheels on a black car are sick. I don't like the combination at all.

Albert actually has good sense of what are the intrinsic values of a product with a good design, that's why he doesn't like it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Executive:
axr6 (01-06-2014), Burt Gummer (07-10-2016)
Old 01-06-2014, 09:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been really happy with my blade wheels. Much easier to keep clean than other wheels I've had. I replaced the center caps with red ones which match the calipers and interior nicely, IMO.

Attached Thumbnails sweet wheels for the f-type-130910-jaguar-f-type-v8-s-red-center-caps-small.jpg  
cjp (01-07-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

black = no panache, no style, no imagination

Old 01-07-2014, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by JWS V8S
I've been really happy with my blade wheels. Much easier to keep clean than other wheels I've had. I replaced the center caps with red ones which match the calipers and interior nicely, IMO.
That looks tasteful.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:31 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,102 Likes on 1,403 Posts

I agree. I personally don't care for black wheels on the reds or orange, but I think it looks good with Polaris White.

Burt Gummer (07-10-2016)
Old 01-07-2014, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member

Indeed, that combination looks very good. The wheels provide good contrast to the large white mass of the car.

Albert

Old 01-07-2014, 06:04 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I love those blade wheels but didn't think they'd look good on a Stratus Grey car.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:42 PM
cjp
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Now that combination really works well in my eyes. It looks very sharp with the contrast, and reminds me of the XK120 in white with black wires.

You also make a very good point on the wheel cleanliness, which is something I had not thought about.

Chris

Old 01-09-2014, 08:06 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Black Wheels

I am as well over 40 and LOVE blacked out and Black Wheels.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:58 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There often is a HUGE difference between what is "flavor of the month" as far as being the fad; as opposed to true taste and style that is timeless.

YMMV.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
There often is a HUGE difference between what is "flavor of the month" as far as being the fad; as opposed to true taste and style that is timeless.

YMMV.
Agreed. Also, great taste should show at least some appreciation for the history of the brand.
That doesn't mean every ferrari should be red (or yellow), every aston should be silver, and every jag should be BRG...but going with black for black's sake seems to ignore the point of owning a storied brand like Jaguar, and is to me ironically old fashioned ;-)

BTW i'm under 40 too.

Quick Reply: sweet wheels for the f-type